Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Civil engineering jobs in UK for foreign citizens?

Civil engineering jobs in UK for foreign citizens?

Old Jun 8th 2020, 7:12 am
Just Joined

HeyItsM1CK3Y_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil engineering jobs in UK for foreign citizens?

Hello everyone,
I'm a 24 year old Civil Engineer from Albania who's also on her last year of Structural Engineering Master's degree (which I don't think I will be able to finish this year because I'm also working to provide for myself). I'm working as a civil engineer at a consulting firm.
I'm interested in knowing if it's possible for me to work in UK in the field of Civil/Structural Engineering? What qualifications do I need to have in order to be compatible with other Engineers in UK and actually have a better chance at finding a job?
It would mean a lot if someone could help me with more information regarding this matter. Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:04 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil engineering jobs in UK for foreign citizens?

Hi Mickey,

Provided you have a couple of years of post-graduate working experience and your English is OK (which it seems to be) you shouldn't have much difficulty finding work as a civil engineer in the UK. There are many vacancies and there's no exams or accreditation required as long as a UK 'chartered' engineer will be overseeing your work - which will be the case for any young engineer, anyway.
As a young woman, you bring extra 'diversity' points so you'd be a particularly sought-after hire!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are you studying in the UK? If not, where are you studying?

Do you have a visa that would allow you to work in the UK? Or is one of your parents a British or Irish citizen? Which country were you born in? (That can sometimes open a route to a work visa).

Without either British citizenship or a visa that will allow you to work in the UK, everything else is moot - it doesn't matter what qualifications you have nor what professional bodies you are a member of, without a work visa or British/ Irish citizenship you won't be able to work in the UK.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:09 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

All true, Mr Pulaski... But work visas aren't exactly hard to come by - especially in fields where there are long-standing shortages. Non-EU immigration is currently at record highs, I believe.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

I was actually hoping of finding a sponsor for my visa but needed to know if I had any chance to begin with.
I only have 1 (documented) year of experience and for the other years of experience I only have my skills as proof that they happened because my previous employers didn't like paying insurance for a student and I only got paid in cash.
Should I wait until I finish my Master's to contact Sponsor Companies and send them my CV or should I start looking for a job now?
Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives in UK or any ties to UK whatsoever. I was just hoping that I may get lucky and find a job there.
Thank you guys so much for your answers.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day you are probably going to need a Tier 2 General Work visa

Read up about what getting one entails (primarily a sponsoring employer)

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general

Civil engineering is on the shortage list.

It is going to be up to you to contact such employers to find out what jobs are available and what they skills/experience they require for the job
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeyItsM1CK3Y_
I was actually hoping of finding a sponsor for my visa but needed to know if I had any chance to begin with.
I only have 1 (documented) year of experience and for the other years of experience I only have my skills as proof that they happened because my previous employers didn't like paying insurance for a student and I only got paid in cash.
Should I wait until I finish my Master's to contact Sponsor Companies and send them my CV or should I start looking for a job now?
Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives in UK or any ties to UK whatsoever. I was just hoping that I may get lucky and find a job there.
Thank you guys so much for your answers.
Personally, I would start doing my research and contacting employers now. Their responses will tell you whether you have what they need in terms of education and/or experience. That will tell you whether a Masters is required.

Where did you do your BSc engineering degree? (you say you have not c ompleted your Masters degree)

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 8th 2020 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Personally, I would start doing my research and contacting employers now. Their responses will tell you whether you have what they need in terms of education and/or experience. That will tell you whether a Masters is required.

Where did you do your BSc engineering degree? (you say you have not c ompleted your Masters degree)
I have completed my Bachelor's degree at Polytechnic University of Tirana in Albania. I'm also following my Master's studies here.
A bachelor's degree in Albania lasts 3 years but I finished it in 4 years because as I have said before, I had to work to provide for myself.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have completed my Bachelor's degree at Polytechnic University of Tirana in Albania. I'm also following my Master's studies here.
A bachelor's degree in Albania lasts 3 years but I finished it in 4 years because as I have said before, I had to work to provide for myself.
As said previously, you should start contacting engineering companies. Their responses will tell you what you need to do.

Found Gov. site for sponsors, but pretty useless as you can't search it for civil engineering companies

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onsors-workers

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 8th 2020 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:52 pm
On a grand tour

I think you have a fair chance - the work permit is neither very difficult nor expensive for the employer to obtain, and there is a shortage of young engineers.

In my experience, a Master's degree won't make much difference to your chances, or to your position in a firm. However, an extra year or two of working engineering experience WILL. So it may be better to wait a year or two... Also, the smoke will be clearing from the Covid catastrophe and some of the newly-announced infrastructure projects will be commencing and hiring then.

However, if you want to leave Albania ASAP, there's no harm in applying to UK vacancies right now. Try the ICE recruitment pages, for a start (icerecruit.com).
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another site for sponsors and you can search for civil engineering

https://uktiersponsors.co.uk/

Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
At the end of the day you are probably going to need a Tier 2 General Work visa

Read up about what getting one entails (primarily a sponsoring employer)

Civil engineering is on the shortage list.

It is going to be up to you to contact such employers to find out what jobs are available and what they skills/experience they require for the job
I will.
Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
I think you have a fair chance - the work permit is neither very difficult nor expensive for the employer to obtain, and there is a shortage of young engineers.

In my experience, a Master's degree won't make much difference to your chances, or to your position in a firm. However, an extra year or two of working engineering experience WILL. So it may be better to wait a year or two... Also, the smoke will be clearing from the Covid catastrophe and some of the newly-announced infrastructure projects will be commencing and hiring then.

However, if you want to leave Albania ASAP, there's no harm in applying to UK vacancies right now. Try the ICE recruitment pages, for a start (icerecruit.com).
I was actually hoping to be able to leave Albania ASAP. But, I'll be patient and start looking for jobs once and then I'll see how it goes.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was actually hoping to be able to leave Albania ASAP. But, I'll be patient and start looking for jobs once and then I'll see how it goes.

You can't work in the UK without a work visa .......