Car insurance

Old Jan 31st 2019, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

dlm5774 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance

Hi folks. Been in the USA for 25 years and moving to U.K. this spring. I have dual citizenship. I never had a U.K. drivers license but I do have an American license. I recentlay reached out to a U.K. based car insurance company and they told me I needed proof of minimum 9 years driving in USA. I can only provide proof back to 2014 as I moved so many times (different states) and kept switching insurance companies to get the best rates. How did you get U.K. car insurance after moving over from US? TIA.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 11:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by dlm5774
Hi folks. Been in the USA for 25 years and moving to U.K. this spring. I have dual citizenship. I never had a U.K. drivers license but I do have an American license. I recentlay reached out to a U.K. based car insurance company and they told me I needed proof of minimum 9 years driving in USA. I can only provide proof back to 2014 as I moved so many times (different states) and kept switching insurance companies to get the best rates. How did you get U.K. car insurance after moving over from US? TIA.
The UK company told you that you can't get vehicle insurance without proof that you had a US driving licence for at least 9 years? That's absolute nonsense - cross that company off your list!

I and many others on BE have recommended Aviva as being good for former expats. They will accept proof of any no claims discount you have.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The UK company told you that you can't get vehicle insurance without proof that you had a US driving licence for at least 9 years? That's absolute nonsense - cross that company off your list!

I and many others on BE have recommended Aviva as being good for former expats. They will accept proof of any no claims discount you have.

+1
Old Feb 1st 2019, 4:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlm5774
On the insurance bit, surely you remember/have a record of the insurers you used before 2014? Just ask for a letter stating the periods you were covered by each company and whether you made any claims.

On the license issue, I'm open to correction, but you may well have to pass a UK driving test within 12 months of residence in the UK. Many/most/all(?) US States don't have reciprocal swap arrangements with DVLA. Moreover, even if the State which issued your current license does (which I doubt) you'd only be able to drive automatics.