Reload this Page >

Can't wait God bless England

Can't wait God bless England

Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:06 am
Just Joined

RobLindsay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can't wait God bless England

Originally Posted by brits1
My brother works in Construction and has not been out of work at all.......I do notice though that people do tend to think it is soley happening to them (lack of work etc) and that it does not go on in different countries etc and start blaming their own country for their lack of job prospects and start to think the grass is greener as where, sometimes it is sometimes is certainly is not... construction here unless you work in new homes and roadworks then you will be lucky to get a job here as well.....there is building work in the City but these projects have already been planned well in advance along with staff etc so to get "in" on jobs like that you are very lucky...Perth can be a "closed" shop and is often who you know etc...you could be employed in the North West of Australia working away from home for more than likely 4weeks away one week home....in not so great conditions etc but earn great money..sounds too good to be true and very often for families it is...that's wy the pay is so good as nobody in their right minds would do that type of work..lol...I should know......have you thought of moving around the U.K.....London is starting to have a lot of work because of the Olympics....our oldest son thought about Architure for Uni but did some maths and decided he would be limited as it is a very competitive area etc...when we lived near Manchester my Oh use to work in Kent on the channel tunnel (it was in the last downturn in the workplace) he had no choice we had a little baby and a new home it was very hard but he is not the type of person to sit and mope...not saying you are but you do sound very negative....he has since had a career change (two) and now enjoys his type of work and it is highly sort after in todays modern world.....another thought would you change direction work wise...
Obviously I will try to look for stuff around the country first, my logic at looking at Canada is that the process is likely to take a long time, so if I start gathering information early and looking at possibilities now then I can fluidly move into this line of thinking if I do decide to leave. My reasons for leaving are quite complex, not just limited to 'there's no jobs', a lot of hit has to do with the 'feel' of the country now, everywhere you go there's this cloud of negativity hanging over things, it doesn't feel like a pleasant place to live anymore, there's the overall impression that things will get a lot worse before they start to get better.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobLindsay
Obviously I will try to look for stuff around the country first, my logic at looking at Canada is that the process is likely to take a long time, so if I start gathering information early and looking at possibilities now then I can fluidly move into this line of thinking if I do decide to leave. My reasons for leaving are quite complex, not just limited to 'there's no jobs', a lot of hit has to do with the 'feel' of the country now, everywhere you go there's this cloud of negativity hanging over things, it doesn't feel like a pleasant place to live anymore, there's the overall impression that things will get a lot worse before they start to get better.
Even being young Free and single, which is a good advantage of packing and going, yes i agree......But the work all around the world has been hit hard..
and even if there was plenty of work in XYZ country, just cas your young free and single you can just walk in a country outside the E.U. there is a case of getting a work or any other Visa First...and unless your Job is in very high Demand, i feel you will have a up-hill battle in getting a work visa, as the Local work force will be before you..

But saying all that, if you feel that the uk don't do it for you anymore...yes, have a go by all means, that's if you think the Grass is greener on the other side that is..

I wish you well whatever path you take...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Aus then and live in la la land...lol...we have the news totally the other way around and you'd think there was no poverty,crime and drugs etc here but there is.... personally I have never read the newspapers either here in Aus or in the U.K....there are plenty of other ways to keep in touch with whats going on in the world. You really have to know that the "things can only get better" etc is mostly the same all around the world at the moment.........really, really do your homework....you are young etc without any ties but you will still have to pay the bills etc no matter where you live and working where you think "sun,sea and sand etc" is going to be great don't forget it is different when you actually have to live and work as you would do in the U.K.....as I have said though if you want to look at things and blame your surrounding etc for whatever reasons that's the easy thing to do rather than try to work at making things better, a lot think if they "jump ship" it will lead to a far better life for some it does but for a heck of a lot it certainly is jumping into the fire.....I can say that and we have not had a bad life here in Aus...but we have also had to work Dammed hard at that and it has not been easy by any means in someones a lot harder than if we'd of stayed in the U.K....I suppose you have to try living abroad if you really want to but please don't believe all you see in the papers and t.v. programmes about Aus....try also looking at countries that need help rebuilding or updating infrastructure.....and please understand it is not because we have anything against Aus. we really don't.....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by the "feel" of the country. My view is that it's all in the mind. I don't "feel" it, and no one I know seems to be moaning .

If your going to emigrate for an adventure, then I'd be the first to encourage it but it sounds like you could save yourself a lot of money and sanity by changing the way you think.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:40 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

OMy reasons for leaving are quite complex, not just limited to 'there's no jobs', a lot of hit has to do with the 'feel' of the country now, everywhere you go there's this cloud of negativity hanging over things, it doesn't feel like a pleasant place to live anymore, there's the overall impression that things will get a lot worse before they start to get better.
Your plan is good, to get the immigration stuff going, but in the meantime, do be wide open to moving anywhere with an interesting job and just see.

You say "everywhere you go". Do you mean just around where you are, or around England? We've come back from Canada, though we don't dislike Canada, so that's not the point. We've spent a little time in a number of places before settling, for now at least, in Whitby, and we haven't experienced a cloud of gloom. Nor do we know anyone out of work.

I'm not denying the reality. Clearly there are lots of people out of work, especially young people, and especially in some areas. But there are other places where that's not true, and they are as real as the depressed areas.

We can also choose what media to pay attention to, or not to pay attention to any of it.

Bev
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

RobLindsay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bevm
Your plan is good, to get the immigration stuff going, but in the meantime, do be wide open to moving anywhere with an interesting job and just see.

You say "everywhere you go". Do you mean just around where you are, or around England? We've come back from Canada, though we don't dislike Canada, so that's not the point. We've spent a little time in a number of places before settling, for now at least, in Whitby, and we haven't experienced a cloud of gloom. Nor do we know anyone out of work.

I'm not denying the reality. Clearly there are lots of people out of work, especially young people, and especially in some areas. But there are other places where that's not true, and they are as real as the depressed areas.

We can also choose what media to pay attention to, or not to pay attention to any of it.

Bev
I'm talking about places I have been, NW england, parts of Scotland and North Wales- there's not the same vibrancy 'energy' that there was a few years ago. I'll concede that my opinion is probably being swayed by political and socio-economic factors but I still keep in touch with people I went to uni with and of those that I have spoken to recently, 8/11 have been made redundant in the last 12 months- one has had to take a low paid job in a call centre because there's no work. I'm sick of being taxed to buggery on everything as well (I realise this happens everywhere but not to the level inflicted on the British)
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about places I have been, NW england, parts of Scotland and North Wales- there's not the same vibrancy 'energy' that there was a few years ago. I'll concede that my opinion is probably being swayed by political and socio-economic factors but I still keep in touch with people I went to uni with and of those that I have spoken to recently, 8/11 have been made redundant in the last 12 months- one has had to take a low paid job in a call centre because there's no work. I'm sick of being taxed to buggery on everything as well (I realise this happens everywhere but not to the level inflicted on the British)
Oh lordy, you should go anywhere rather than stay in the U.K...if you think your not going to get taxed anywhere else you are living in la la land...and if you think that everyone who goes to a new country walks into a highly paid job then you definately are living in la la land......you should try walking into a Centrelink here in Perth.....lordy that is an eye opener....or go for a walk around the less affluent areas and there are many of them here in Perth as well...not just soley knocking Australia....but if you want to look for doom and gloom you will also find it in paradise...seems to me that is what you are doing instead of thinking "how can I improve my life" is going for a quick fix and migrate but to do it mainly because people are gloomy,tax etc, if that is how you think when the going does not go to your liking then you'll more than likely think that anywhere you will be in the world...
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:15 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Oh lordy, you should go anywhere rather than stay in the U.K...if you think your not going to get taxed anywhere else you are living in la la land...and if you think that everyone who goes to a new country walks into a highly paid job then you definately are living in la la land...
Jobs in the Middle East are tax free. Likewise salaries are extremely high by most peoples standards.

It is fairly easy to save a large amount of money in a relatively short amount of time.

If you don't want a long term or permanent move, maybe go for a temporary 'fix' and do a few years somewhere else. Save up some cash, then return. At least this will give you some financial security if nothing else.

Brits 1 is right though, look carefully at whether it is your situation, or your general approach to/view of life which is making you see the negative.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:27 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

My son is just a little bit older than you and, like you, went to uni, managed to find a fairly reasonable job and was fortunate in that the company chose alternative cost cutting as the recession bit - which meant no redundancies.

Like you though, his salary didn't go very far and increasingly, he became very down, very frustrated and kept talking about emigration. A 'grass is greener', view of the world which at times became a tad 'obsessive' and worrying for me, his mum!

Anyway, he decided that if he was going to get anywhere, then first, he needed to build up both his skills set and his qualifications in an area that was both in demand and portable.

He signed up (and it took almost a year of interviews, form filling and familiarisation days), for the graduate teacher programme. He's now half way through his training and all being well, will qualify in July. He receives a salary too while training - which isn't huge...but it keeps things ticking over until he can secure a job for September.

Interestingly, like you, he's in the North West. Also, he's prepared to uproot himself and go where the work is....and the whole 'emigration', thing hasn't even been mentioned in recent times!

Sounds to me as if what you need is an opportunity.And a bit of careers advice.

They don't come knocking though and you have to actively get out there and find them.

The good news is - they are out there!

You come over as a young person who has very much to offer. Don't dwell on the negatives now. Seek out the positives and you truly can make things happen...just a bit of grit, determination and positive thinking will set things in motion for you.

Well....that's the advice I gave my lad anyway!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Jobs in the Middle East are tax free. Likewise salaries are extremely high by most peoples standards.

It is fairly easy to save a large amount of money in a relatively short amount of time.

If you don't want a long term or permanent move, maybe go for a temporary 'fix' and do a few years somewhere else. Save up some cash, then return. At least this will give you some financial security if nothing else.

Brits 1 is right though, look carefully at whether it is your situation, or your general approach to/view of life which is making you see the negative.
My Oh worked in the Middle East so I know all about the salary etc and was also lucky as he left before the current climate....but we do know loads and we mean loads who have been made redudant from the Middle Eastern Area especially Dubai...so again...you always think it's just on your doorstep....it's not.....bad things happen everywhere in the world.....personally I would save up...tour the developing countries...even Russia and see what is happening in those parts of the world.....but then again that is just moi
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wub
My son is just a little bit older than you and, like you, went to uni, managed to find a fairly reasonable job and was fortunate in that the company chose alternative cost cutting as the recession bit - which meant no redundancies.

Like you though, his salary didn't go very far and increasingly, he became very down, very frustrated and kept talking about emigration. A 'grass is greener', view of the world which at times became a tad 'obsessive' and worrying for me, his mum!

Anyway, he decided that if he was going to get anywhere, then first, he needed to build up both his skills set and his qualifications in an area that was both in demand and portable.

He signed up (and it took almost a year of interviews, form filling and familiarisation days), for the graduate teacher programme. He's now half way through his training and all being well, will qualify in July. He receives a salary too while training - which isn't huge...but it keeps things ticking over until he can secure a job for September.

Interestingly, like you, he's in the North West. Also, he's prepared to uproot himself and go where the work is....and the whole 'emigration', thing hasn't even been mentioned in recent times!

Sounds to me as if what you need is an opportunity.And a bit of careers advice.

They don't come knocking though and you have to actively get out there and find them.

The good news is - they are out there!

You come over as a young person who has very much to offer. Don't dwell on the negatives now. Seek out the positives and you truly can make things happen...just a bit of grit, determination and positive thinking will set things in motion for you.

Well....that's the advice I gave my lad anyway!
Great advice...both my Oh and I have both retrained...me a few times my Oh 3 times....and each time we went in a direction of something that not only interested us but was also "needed" skills at the time....I think once you have done that then if needed to career change again you are not nervous etc about trying something new. It's a big world outside and some people go exploring only to find what the wanted all along was on their own doorstep for others it's opened a whole new world and they love their adopted countries....good luck and hope you really do find what your looking for....
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, I think you should get to Lime Street and buy a train ticket and head to the South of England, or get in your car and drive down here. You will be surprised at how much the "climate" changes as you get further south........and I'm not just talking about it being a tad warmer and certainly drier.

If you walk around a city like Bath it has an entirely different "feel" to a city like Liverpool or Manchester and the like.

There is more to the UK than the NW of England, North Wales and Scotland. Hence my move to Somerset............
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rob, I think you should get to Lime Street and buy a train ticket and head to the South of England, or get in your car and drive down here. You will be surprised at how much the "climate" changes as you get further south........and I'm not just talking about it being a tad warmer and certainly drier.

If you walk around a city like Bath it has an entirely different "feel" to a city like Liverpool or Manchester and the like.

There is more to the UK than the NW of England, North Wales and Scotland. Hence my move to Somerset............
Yep or even round here in West Oxfordshire. Next to zero crime and less than 1% unemployment.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Yep or even round here in West Oxfordshire. Next to zero crime and less than 1% unemployment.
I think you are quite near to me Jon as I am in N. Somerset.

I am not saying there are no unemployed here, but I don't know anybody out of work, not that I know that many people down here but everybody I meet has some kind of job. Asda and Sainsbury's always seem to have plenty of people with full trolley loads, I don't see any beggars on the streets and one thing I have noticed and this is MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWPOINT is that there are not as many "disabled" (wheelchairs, walking sticks, walking frames, etc.) younger people down here as up north................

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 26th 2010 at 12:07 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think you are quite near to me Jon as I am in N. Somerset.

I am not saying there are no unemployed here, but I don't know anybody out of work, not that I know that many people down here but everybody I meet has some kind of job. Asda and Sainsbury's always seem to have plenty of people with full trolley loads, I don't see any beggars on the streets and one thing I have noticed and this is MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWPOINT is that there are not as many "disabled" (wheelchairs, walking sticks, walking frames, etc.) younger people down here as up north................
It is the same here, it's also amazing at just how many 59 plate cars are on the roads too. I mean if people are suffering so much, how are they finding £20k to drop on a new set of wheels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.