Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can't wait God bless England

Can't wait God bless England

Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

bev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nice
Default Re: Can't wait God bless England

Good luck to you and your family ...................

There's no place like home Warts and all

And it took us a lenghthy migration process, thousands of pounds tearful heartbreaking goodbyes and miserable months of missing our family to realise it.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobLindsay
I really don't get this, perhaps it's because I live in England now, but I've just had enough of it, there's no jobs, no money and no hope of recovery anytime soon- I don't see what there is to miss.

Oh and going home songs? how about 'Going Home' by Mark Knopfler?
You're kidding right?No jobs?Please don't exaggerate!There are lots of jobs available where I live,and I don't know anyone out of work.No money?Since the recession hit,no one I know has lost their job,we are all still doing what we usually do,going on holidays and so on.I guess you have to leave GB to truly appreciate what you've got here.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

RobLindsay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
You're kidding right?No jobs?Please don't exaggerate!There are lots of jobs available where I live,and I don't know anyone out of work.No money?Since the recession hit,no one I know has lost their job,we are all still doing what we usually do,going on holidays and so on.I guess you have to leave GB to truly appreciate what you've got here.
Then you are very fortunate indeed. I suppose it does depend on what sector you work in. I work in the architectural sector and was out of work for 6 months before having to take a substantial paycut to get a job I'm overquaified for- I now frequently finish the month with no money, the construction sector has been decimated by the recession here worse than anywhere else. What part of Britain are you in where there's loads of jobs? and what sector do you work in out of interest?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Then you are very fortunate indeed. I suppose it does depend on what sector you work in. I work in the architectural sector and was out of work for 6 months before having to take a substantial paycut to get a job I'm overquaified for- I now frequently finish the month with no money, the construction sector has been decimated by the recession here worse than anywhere else. What part of Britain are you in where there's loads of jobs? and what sector do you work in out of interest?
I work in the health sector,but know loads of people in work across the board,doing all kinds of jobs.We live in the Sth West.You?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I work in the health sector,but know loads of people in work across the board,doing all kinds of jobs.We live in the Sth West.You?
Sorry just realised you're in Liverpool.I had lived in Australia for 30 years,so have the benefit of knowing what both countries are like!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Sorry just realised you're in Liverpool.I had lived in Australia for 30 years,so have the benefit of knowing what both countries are like!
It must be region as well then, I know plenty of people who have been made redundant, had their hours or pay reduced in recent years. I'm 28 and currently don't feel like my position is secure so I'm looking for a fresh start in greener pastures while I'm still (more or less) young.

A mate of mine went out to Australia four years ago and doesn't regret a secon of it he has a wife and 2 kids now
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

It must be region as well then, I know plenty of people who have been made redundant, had their hours or pay reduced in recent years. I'm 28 and currently don't feel like my position is secure so I'm looking for a fresh start in greener pastures while I'm still (more or less) young.

A mate of mine went out to Australia four years ago and doesn't regret a secon of it he has a wife and 2 kids now
Glad it worked out for him.Good luck with your future,hope its all you expected it to be!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, if you have a wife and children here in the UK, I suggest you check out other parts of the UK first before you do the big move. Unless you have heaps of money getting out there and then wanting to come back here to England can be very expensive and sometimes impossible for many reasons. Believe me, trawl these boards and see, there is nothing worse than being homesick and stuck where you don't want to be and you can't get home, or even worse for some people their other half doesn't want to come home.......

Of course, Australia could work out perfectly for you as it does for many others. Good Luck.

Barb (Scouser in Somerset )
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rob, if you have a wife and children here in the UK, I suggest you check out other parts of the UK first before you do the big move. Unless you have heaps of money getting out there and then wanting to come back here to England can be very expensive and sometimes impossible for many reasons. Believe me, trawl these boards and see, there is nothing worse than being homesick and stuck where you don't want to be and you can't get home, or even worse for some people their other half doesn't want to come home.......

Of course, Australia could work out perfectly for you as it does for many others. Good Luck.

Barb (Scouser in Somerset )
No wife, no kids- just me
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hey then, get your bags packed and get over there young man!!! Have an adventure while you are still young, footloose and fancy free!!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

You want to try Calgary for Construction crash, we have high rise projects that are being brought up to ground level then going no higher. I was in construction and got out of it just before the crash. Its pretty tough out here at the moment. My english boss just go back from the Uk and he knows of labourers on 120 quid a day in the sw.. I think what im trying to say is that there is good and bad no matter where you are.. Here's hoping things pick up for you soon
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother works in Construction and has not been out of work at all.......I do notice though that people do tend to think it is soley happening to them (lack of work etc) and that it does not go on in different countries etc and start blaming their own country for their lack of job prospects and start to think the grass is greener as where, sometimes it is sometimes is certainly is not... construction here unless you work in new homes and roadworks then you will be lucky to get a job here as well.....there is building work in the City but these projects have already been planned well in advance along with staff etc so to get "in" on jobs like that you are very lucky...Perth can be a "closed" shop and is often who you know etc...you could be employed in the North West of Australia working away from home for more than likely 4weeks away one week home....in not so great conditions etc but earn great money..sounds too good to be true and very often for families it is...that's wy the pay is so good as nobody in their right minds would do that type of work..lol...I should know......have you thought of moving around the U.K.....London is starting to have a lot of work because of the Olympics....our oldest son thought about Architure for Uni but did some maths and decided he would be limited as it is a very competitive area etc...when we lived near Manchester my Oh use to work in Kent on the channel tunnel (it was in the last downturn in the workplace) he had no choice we had a little baby and a new home it was very hard but he is not the type of person to sit and mope...not saying you are but you do sound very negative....he has since had a career change (two) and now enjoys his type of work and it is highly sort after in todays modern world.....another thought would you change direction work wise...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

4 years ago it was a very different story here in Perth...jobs where 10 a penny....and don't forget that's your friends life story....might not be yours though....do your homework job wise first no matter where you are heading to....if you have no ties then go where you think will be good for you not really not because it has worked for someone else....China and Russia are excellent places for construction....Asia as well.....good luck.....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:14 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I second that. If you're single, no kids......I'd have a round the world ticket and country hopping! Have a wonderful time being young and care free. I wish you happy days exploring Aus.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:18 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
My brother works in Construction and has not been out of work at all.......I do notice though that people do tend to think it is soley happening to them (lack of work etc) and that it does not go on in different countries etc and start blaming their own country for their lack of job prospects and start to think the grass is greener as where, sometimes it is sometimes is certainly is not... construction here unless you work in new homes and roadworks then you will be lucky to get a job here as well.....there is building work in the City but these projects have already been planned well in advance along with staff etc so to get "in" on jobs like that you are very lucky...Perth can be a "closed" shop and is often who you know etc...you could be employed in the North West of Australia working away from home for more than likely 4weeks away one week home....in not so great conditions etc but earn great money..sounds too good to be true and very often for families it is...that's wy the pay is so good as nobody in their right minds would do that type of work..lol...I should know......have you thought of moving around the U.K.....London is starting to have a lot of work because of the Olympics....our oldest son thought about Architure for Uni but did some maths and decided he would be limited as it is a very competitive area etc...when we lived near Manchester my Oh use to work in Kent on the channel tunnel (it was in the last downturn in the workplace) he had no choice we had a little baby and a new home it was very hard but he is not the type of person to sit and mope...not saying you are but you do sound very negative....he has since had a career change (two) and now enjoys his type of work and it is highly sort after in todays modern world.....another thought would you change direction work wise...
If I were to live in Canada in my next life I'd be an ultra sound technician. Apparently they are a very rare and well paid breed! Forget being a teacher....who would do that when there's no jobs? And trades....those jobs always seem to come and go but the advantage is you can always fix your own house. How great would that be?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.