Can't open Bank Account

Old Oct 14th 2018, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't open Bank Account

Look in to Starling Bank, they're an internet only bank. I've just opened accounts with them after seeing Martin Lewis recommend them (along with some friends who've had accounts with them for a while) and did it all from my phone, took 5 mins. I didn't have to provide any proof of address. Worth a try maybe?
Old Oct 14th 2018, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

barkus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Look in to Starling Bank, they're an internet only bank. I've just opened accounts with them after seeing Martin Lewis recommend them (along with some friends who've had accounts with them for a while) and did it all from my phone, took 5 mins. I didn't have to provide any proof of address. Worth a try maybe?
will check it out and let you all know how it goes. Thanks. Barkus
Old Oct 15th 2018, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Darn it, wouldn't you know it? Not compatible with my phone for some reason. I tried Revolut, got a little further with that able to add funds from google play. Guess I have to look into another phone. Barkus
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Given the choice I would go with Nationwide over HSBC.
Hi, can you elaborate a bit? thanks barkus
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barkus
Hi, can you elaborate a bit? thanks barkus
Nationwide is a building society whereas HSBC is a bank. You own the former, shareholders the latter. This tends to be mean you get better service at Nationwide than you would a bank.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Nationwide is a building society whereas HSBC is a bank. You own the former, shareholders the latter. This tends to be mean you get better service at Nationwide than you would a bank.
ahhh ok, thanks. Barkus
Old Oct 17th 2018, 1:28 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

I just opened an account with them no issue, and I still live in the US
Old Oct 17th 2018, 1:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Just to be clear, does a Starling Bank account contribute towards starting/restarting a UK credit history?
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
How did you manage that when they say, "You can only open an account with us if the address where you live is in the UK"?
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:27 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
How did you manage that when they say, "You can only open an account with us if the address where you live is in the UK"?
Used my mom’s address...
Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barkus
ahhh ok, thanks. Barkus
Update: After saying they would mail it, TV License emailed that because we opted out of the paper bill they could not send it. I called and they told me to change it online and now paper bill is expected in 10 working days (for Nationwide account).
Went to HSBC appointment today and with the online BT PDF bill that I emailed to them, got an account. My son took his Job letter and they said that will do, so he has his appointment for Saturday and should get an account also God willing. Seems the end of this nightmare is in sight. Barkus
Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

I looked into it and saw a few unfavorable reviews, went with one of the suggestions which was Revolut, Very fast and got the card today and purchased with the pin to activate it and then paid the BT bill online.
I will just use this to put small funds on to protect my main cards. What I like with this is that I can top up from google play which is linked to my Bahamas credit card so was able to fund it up right away. Barkus
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Update and question.
My son got his bank account with the job letter. Now I want to plan ahead. What does he need to do/have to ensure in 5 years time he has all the documents and proof if any to apply for ILR and Citizenship? Thanks Barkus
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 1:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Keep hold of documents relating to his employment - P60s and P45s in particular.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the bank request the account holder's National Insurance No. when his/her (personal savings account for example) bank account is opened nowadays?

Last edited by inggris; Oct 23rd 2018 at 5:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.