Can't open Bank Account

Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

barkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't open Bank Account

Hello, in the UK now and need to open a bank account, been to about 4 banks so far but because we are new to the uk it is hard to open an account even though they have "new to the UK accounts".
Problem is we rent as live in guardians all inclusive, no utility bills, and the banks don't recognize these companies as accepted letting agencies. We have tv license which fits one of the requirements but not much else. Can't get a land line because we need a direct debit account a bank, can't get a bank account because we don't have a land line. The circle continues..
Any strong suggestions on what to do to get over this hurdle? TIA Barkus
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't open Bank Account

Have you registered to vote? If Council Tax is included in your rent, do you have correspondence from them for other things - eg getting a library card? Have you a driving license - even getting a provisional one may fit the bill? Do you have a mobile phone account? Have you registered with a GP - do you have correspondence from them on headed notepaper?

These may not be "on the list" of accepted documents at the bank, but they are all good quality evidence of identity/address from reputable sources that should be accepted by one of the institutions if you can get past the "computer says no" to a human being with common sense.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Have you registered to vote? If Council Tax is included in your rent, do you have correspondence from them for other things - eg getting a library card? Have you a driving license - even getting a provisional one may fit the bill? Do you have a mobile phone account? Have you registered with a GP - do you have correspondence from them on headed notepaper?

These may not be "on the list" of accepted documents at the bank, but they are all good quality evidence of identity/address from reputable sources that should be accepted by one of the institutions if you can get past the "computer says no" to a human being with common sense.
" Problem is we rent as live in guardians all inclusive, no utility bills, "
I should have been more specific, it is for my son, he is on an ancestry visa so he cannot register to vote. We are in the process of registering with the GP. Also waiting on our NI appointment. I saw a video on youtube about a bank that was hassle free, but have not been able to find it again. still looking. Barkus
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your son is on a UK Ancestry visa then he is a Commonwealth citizen and is entitled to register to vote.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your son is on a UK Ancestry visa then he is a Commonwealth citizen and is entitled to register to vote.
ok thanks. will look in to this, would he need proof of address to do this? is Guardianship living contract acceptable as proof of address? The banks do not accept this saying that they are not approved letting agency. Thanks Barkus
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barkus
ok thanks. will look in to this, would he need proof of address to do this? is Guardianship living contract acceptable as proof of address? The banks do not accept this saying that they are not approved letting agency. Thanks Barkus
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

The banks will set their own policies. Try Nationwide.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

The banks will set their own policies. Try Nationwide.
Thanks. We have registered. Will try nationwide . will keep you all updated on how it goes. Thanks again Barkus
Old Oct 4th 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barkus
Thanks. We have registered. Will try nationwide . will keep you all updated on how it goes. Thanks again Barkus
Went to Nationwide, was a lot smoother that the other banks, but still need hard proof of address. Tried to contact TV licensing by phone for hard copy to be mailed to my address for required proof but no answer, sent email and hoping for response within three days. Going to post office to apply for a provisional license as this is accepted proof also, but takes two weeks to get it. Seems there is no fast way beyond those online card banks, one which I applied for just to see what it is about, but from the reviews they are touch and go. Barkus.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.alrayanbank.co.uk/

I used this bank when it was still called "The Islamic Bank of Britain" User-friendly.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47

I used this bank when it was still called "The Islamic Bank of Britain" User-friendly.
thanks will check it out Barkus
Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:28 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived back in the UK this spring after 14 years living in Canada. It took over 4 months to get a bank account - no address, no driving licence, no cell phone etc etc. The whole process was stressful and incredibly frustrating. Lloyds ultimately allowed me to open an account as a result of my parents intervention and threat of closing their own long-standing accounts. The whiff of a £500k house sale equity deposit seemed to appeal to their better nature, and their rules suddenly became more flexible
Old Oct 13th 2018, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47

No go for this bank. Went to the location, they need utility bills etc.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Update, Nationwide needed mailed to address tv license. Still waiting for it to come after a week.
Went to HSBC and almost got the account but the PDF Invoice for my BT account would not load on my phone, Had to make an appointment again for next week when I should get it. For my son he will try to get a job letter which they will accept. So looking good so far for HSBC. Will update. Barkus
Old Oct 14th 2018, 12:35 am

Given the choice I would go with Nationwide over HSBC.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Given the choice I would go with Nationwide over HSBC.
He will, if the tv license ever shows up. Thanks. Barkus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.