Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

canada. anything else you would like to add?

canada. anything else you would like to add?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:43 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default canada. anything else you would like to add?

in response on another forum to the question, "why would anyone want to go back?", i posted as below, just wondered if i missed anything?

family.
friends.
certain aspects of UK life absent here.
schooling, never thought i would say this, but its not all its cracked up to be here as we are seeing as time goes on.
no career anymore.
cold.
more cold.
snow and ice for 9mths of the year.
canadians.
no culture.
tv.
radio.
loss of personal identity.
fears of retirement.
food.
no ability to travel outside of USA.
language barrier.
racism.
bigotry, stereotyping and ignorance on anything other than hockey and canadian film stars.

i could go on.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: canada. anything else you would like to add?

[QUOTE=rae;7442166]in response on another forum to the question, "why would anyone want to go back?", i posted as below, just wondered if i missed anything?

family.
friends.

For me I miss the good old British sense of humour ~only Russell Peters come marginally close to filling the void , otherwise I am now addicted to every episode of 2 pints of lager , Vicar of Dibley , etc etc
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
in response on another forum to the question, "why would anyone want to go back?", i posted as below, just wondered if i missed anything?

family.
friends.
schooling, never thought i would say this, but its not all its cracked up to be here as we are seeing as time goes on.
no career anymore.
cold.
more cold.
canadians.
no culture.
tv.
radio.
fears of retirement.
food.
language barrier.
racism.
bigotry, stereotyping and ignorance on anything other than hockey and canadian film stars.

i could go on.
Wow rae....so I take it you're staying here and lovin' life
Don't blame you mate....I'm in agreement with the majority of what you put, if not all!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae

family.
friends.
no career anymore.
cold.
more cold.
canadians.
no culture.
tv.
radio.
fears of retirement.
food.
language barrier.
racism.

i could go on.
You`re not a good advert for Canadian emigration I imagine the 9 months of snow and ice must be depressing though. You mention concerns over career and retirement, is this that your profession is not in demand there? and won`t your pension there cover your retirement? Didn`t realize that Canada had a racism problem either? Well when a country is void of culture like Canada, identity is something that its not going to have but depending on viewpoints that is not necessarily a bad thing. Language barrier Are you referring to the French speakers here?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Canada aint all that bad, but then again I'm returning to the UK in 2 weeks, so not very much can dent my good mood.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:51 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Actually, Canada aint all that bad, but then again I'm returning to the UK in 2 weeks, so not very much can dent my good mood.
i would not disagree, just as the uk is not all bad and neither are all that good.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:59 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
You`re not a good advert for Canadian emigration I imagine the 9 months of snow and ice must be depressing though. You mention concerns over career and retirement, is this that your profession is not in demand there? and won`t your pension there cover your retirement? Didn`t realize that Canada had a racism problem either? Well when a country is void of culture like Canada, identity is something that its not going to have but depending on viewpoints that is not necessarily a bad thing. Language barrier Are you referring to the French speakers here?
my profession (police) is in demand, substantial differences in just about every area make life difficult though. Canadas approach to policing is similar to its approach to seal hunting, short and bloody.

retirement is purely to do with low temps and icy pavements, basically being house bound for 6mths.

i'm afraid it does, with regard to racism, but where doesn't i suppose.

language barrier is northern england vs everywhere in canada and the complete inability for locals to make a connection. for example see below, set in bar.

me:- hi could you tell me where the bathroom is please
reply:- sorry?
me:- the bathroom?
reply:- i'm sorry, what?
me: - the washroom
reply:- oohhhh

seriously, i mean come on, and no this is not an isolated incident.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:02 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Wow rae....so I take it you're staying here and lovin' life
Don't blame you mate....I'm in agreement with the majority of what you put, if not all!
i'm staying here at the moment as it appears i have no choice.

joking apart i don't know, i really don't. i don't know what the matter with me is, or what my problem is. anyway i'm off to work with a loaded firearm at my side, perfectly stable.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't agree with everything in your list, I saw someone write this once:

'It feels like I am missing the party'

Which sums it up, something has died inside me since being here for over 8 years now and tbh with you I don't think I will get that back even if I move in the future.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:41 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by babsi
Although I don't agree with everything in your list, I saw someone write this once:

Which sums it up, something has died inside me since being here for over 8 years now and tbh with you I don't think I will get that back even if I move in the future.
i'm sure there are contentious points on the list for most, just wondering if it was pretty comprehensive, over the top or needing much much more added to it.

you will never miss a party, as long as, a. the oilers (substitute relevant hockey team) are playing, or, b. you are willing to throw your car keys in a bowl. shame this bowl though will be some dodgy plastic affair used to store nachos in and will only contain a plethora of ford f150 keys.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the schooling issue is biggie for me atm, the more I read about schooling in Canada, the more I am put off. The option that I would like if I was still there by then would be a Monterssori school but the prices are way above our limit. I do prefer the English system but at a long shot I have been looking at the Argentinian system and that seems to tick the boxes a lot more (OH is from there).

TV isn't a issue, I download everything I watch, the TV is never turned on and whatever country I am living in I would do the same.

I do agree with the language barrier, it is like there is an invisible wall when talking to a lot of people. Nevermind if you try to crack a joke, most of the time just a clueless look.

Another biggie for me if it all goes wrong eg.lose your job. Canada is NOT a place I would want to be if this happens.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:25 am
rae
Settled.

I have been looking at the Argentinian system and that seems to tick the boxes a lot more (OH is from there).

i am curious, is that where they claim the neighboring school is theirs and take it over?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:08 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
retirement is purely to do with low temps and icy pavements, basically being house bound for 6mths.
I`ve read that Canada is not a place to be in for retirees on many occasion, seems like the vast majority head for warmer climes for upto 6 months of the year both Florida and Mexico seem very popular.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:10 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Another biggie for me if it all goes wrong eg.lose your job. Canada is NOT a place I would want to be if this happens.
Doesn`t Canada have a social security system?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:25 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Babsi.......That something you feel that has died in you , does come back eventually but it doesn't happen over night ......
It takes awhile to feel at home at home again........

Its really strange how quickly we stop becoming who we are and adopt another way of living...........

And quite a shock .....when i returned and realised just how drawl i'd become and distant.....It was a struggle blending back in and that was just after 14mths.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.