Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Calling any Kiwi Applicants

Calling any Kiwi Applicants

Old Mar 13th 2003, 4:27 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling any Kiwi Applicants

I know there arent too many of us out there but there are a few so Im hoping that one of you might just read this. What I need to know from someone who has been through the interview in Auckland is about the required vaccinations. The Hepatitis B is one that is causing me a little concern. I checked this out with my family Doctor today & he says if I have to have it , it involves a series of 3 vaccinations of a period of 6 months What I need to know is if I start the process off now will I be required to complete the course before leaving here to join my husband in the US?? That would mean another long delay & I couldnt bare to think that something as silly as a vaccination could keep us apart any longer than is necessary. Hepatitis B is not a threat here in NZ so I am hoping that helps. Any information regarding this would be a huge help.
Cheers
Shepslady
Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling any Kiwi Applicants

Originally posted by shepslady
I know there arent too many of us out there but there are a few so Im hoping that one of you might just read this. What I need to know from someone who has been through the interview in Auckland is about the required vaccinations. The Hepatitis B is one that is causing me a little concern. I checked this out with my family Doctor today & he says if I have to have it , it involves a series of 3 vaccinations of a period of 6 months What I need to know is if I start the process off now will I be required to complete the course before leaving here to join my husband in the US?? That would mean another long delay & I couldnt bare to think that something as silly as a vaccination could keep us apart any longer than is necessary. Hepatitis B is not a threat here in NZ so I am hoping that helps. Any information regarding this would be a huge help.
Cheers
Shepslady
I am not a kiwi, but I think that I can answer your question. It is my understanding that if you do not have the appropriate vaccination, they would do the first shot during your medical in NZ, and then you would get subsequent shots in the US. Of course, you want to verify this information with the US consulate or the doctor that does the medical exam. If you are worried, however, you can always start the shots now and show proof that you are up-to-date with Hepatitis B to the doctor that does your medical.

Hope that helps,
Caroline
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Finkernz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey Shepslady

I would like to know what you find out too.

I do remember a thread a while back from a NZ guy who just went thru everything and got his visa. He stated on there what shots and stuff he needed so it may pay to try and find it. I think his name was Ghoob???

Will have a little looksee myself. :-)
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Finkernz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just found his post....

Before the medical exam I went to my regular Dr with the Immigrant
vaccination list
http://www.us-immigration.org/vaccinations.htm to check which vaccinations
I didn't have yet and were medically appropriate to have now. I got an MMR
shot which was free since I had only had a measles vaccine before. I had a
blood test done to prove I had had chicken pox (varicella) when I was
younger. I decided to get a course of 3 Twinrix shots ($100 each) which
protect against both hepatitis A and hepatitis B even though only B is
listed as required. My Dr said I didn't need influenzae type b (Hib) or
pneumococcal shots since they only vaccinate young children for those. The
panel physician agreed with that and also didn't give me a flu shot saying
they only gave those to old people or people with chest problems or
something.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 8:38 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys that helps me out a lot. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Shepslady