Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Brits out Micheal Phelps golden boy image..

Brits out Micheal Phelps golden boy image..

Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:23 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits out Micheal Phelps golden boy image..

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
One deep inhale and it'll be over.
Maybe~!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:56 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I was around 18 when my parents found out I smoked weed and the only thing they were worried about was that I might smoke cigarettes as well.
Seems to me to be completly the wrong attitude to take. While concerns that you don't smoke cigarettes are laudable, I would have thought they would / should have been more concerned with what you were doing in possesion of an ILLEGAL substances, that if you were caught in possesion of by the authorities, could have screwed up your entire life [as the repeated immigration questions here can attest to] and career [in possible governmental or military fields].

Telling teenagers that weed is really bad and including it in the same message as 'cocaine is bad', 'heroin is bad' is just counter productive as they know that this is not the case.
It is the case and this is what YOU should be educating your children about. At this point though you are talking shades of grey. Heroin, Cocaine and weed ALL impair your driving abilities, and your cognitive capabilities. [Yes, I am aware that alchohol does this to and is legal], These other drugs are harder to detect on roadside tests and as such are banned outright.

I could care less if Marijuana was legal or not, but I would prefer to know that there was some protection from some doped up 18 year old whose Mom and Pop say "good on yer kid" and as such sees this as some sort of endorsement from getting in a 2 ton SUV [that he's too inexperienced to handle under the best of circumstances] and wiping out the lady and her kid in the stroller waiting for the bus on the street corner because he didn't see anything wrong with "getting a little mellow". At the moment a unilateral ban IS that protection.

And for the record, I could care less what Phelps does.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Seems to me to be completly the wrong attitude to take. While concerns that you don't smoke cigarettes are laudable, I would have thought they would / should have been more concerned with what you were doing in possesion of an ILLEGAL substances, that if you were caught in possesion of by the authorities, could have screwed up your entire life [as the repeated immigration questions here can attest to] and career [in possible governmental or military fields].

It is the case and this is what YOU should be educating your children about. At this point though you are talking shades of grey. Heroin, Cocaine and weed ALL impair your driving abilities, and your cognitive capabilities. [Yes, I am aware that alchohol does this to and is legal], These other drugs are harder to detect on roadside tests and as such are banned outright.

I could care less if Marijuana was legal or not, but I would prefer to know that there was some protection from some doped up 18 year old whose Mom and Pop say "good on yer kid" and as such sees this as some sort of endorsement from getting in a 2 ton SUV [that he's too inexperienced to handle under the best of circumstances] and wiping out the lady and her kid in the stroller waiting for the bus on the street corner because he didn't see anything wrong with "getting a little mellow". At the moment a unilateral ban IS that protection.

So you are arguing that the weed being illegal is OK because it protects against people getting stoned and then driving???
That argument has been going around for a while and is simply bullshit. Can you find an example of a serious car accident because of someone driving after smoking weed? Even if you can, it pales into insignificance when you think of the vast numbers of drunk drivers that cause accidents. In fact, you can actually find quite a few reports that claim that it makes little difference..anyway, I've been over my posts and I cant seem to find that part where I said it was ok to get stoned and then drive. I actually dont believe it is, but I think that it 'being hard to detect' is a pretty weak argument and certainly not one that justifies keeping it illegal. I would never and have never driven a car after smoking weed or drinking alcohol, but if we follow the logic of your argument then surely you should think that alcohol should be illegal too?

I find it ridiculous that you would describe heroin, cocaine, and weed as 'all shades of grey'...so do you only look at substances with respect to how they effect someone driving? Or do you genuinely believe the 'drugs are bad' argument and that weed is in any way comparable to hard drugs? I find it bizarre that we are having a debate about weed, and you turn it round to how it effects driving ability. I really dont follow the logic there.

Also, as I said above..I dont have kids. Perhaps my views will change when I do have them, but I 100% believe that their is nothing wrong with weed and I am yet to see any kind of reasonable argument for keeping it illegal. I'm not saying my parents encouraged me or said 'good on you'...my mum wasnt particularly happy, but luckily for me they didnt grow up in a bubble and they realise that weed is less harmful than alcohol so they didnt take it as seriously as they could have done. It was just one of those things that wasnt mentioned. I'm 26 now and smoke very seldomly. Most of my friends also only smoke very occasionally. I've found that its something you grow out of. I'd prefer for it to just be a phase in my kids life and to be aware of it than to hit them over the head with the lie that all drugs are equally as bad.

getting a little mellow
how old are you??

I could care less
This literally doesnt make any sense.

Last edited by pejpm1; Feb 4th 2009 at 11:33 am.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:38 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Phelps is just a kid doing what young people tend to do. Experiment!!.Most of us have done similar or worse.I hope he doesn't lose his endorsements deals.Mike is still a hero and a champion.I think this situation will only give more kids the chance to realize that people with incredible talent can make mistakes.If every person who smoked pot was eliminated from being constructive role models then half the non famous & famous people we admire would be ruled out.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas

Careful. Pretty soon they'll have you watching every episode of Entertainment Tonite or TMZ or reading The National Enquirer......
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pejpm1;7247196]

how old are you??

/QUOTE]

And why do you care?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AmerLisa;7247874]

how old are you??

/QUOTE]

And why do you care?

was rhetorical...was laughing at the phrase 'getting a little mellow'
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:19 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe Mike phelps is being drag over the coals simply because he was photographed taking a toke from a bung.Now it's reported that one of his major sponsors has dumped him and many of the 50 million dollar plus contracts are in jeopardy.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:27 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I can't believe Mike phelps is being drag over the coals simply because he was photographed taking a toke from a bung.Now it's reported that one of his major sponsors has dumped him and many of the 50 million dollar plus contracts are in jeopardy.
oh god..only in America..you have to maintain the squeaky clean image..nobody cares what happens behind closed doors...reminds me of the Fleetwood Mac song ...tell me lies lol...poor Mike prob lives squeaky clean and took a bong hit one time LOL ..... Kate moss was pictured snorting cocaine and still wasn't dropped ..or am I wrong??
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:06 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
oh god..only in America..you have to maintain the squeaky clean image..nobody cares what happens behind closed doors...reminds me of the Fleetwood Mac song ...tell me lies lol...poor Mike prob lives squeaky clean and took a bong hit one time LOL ..... Kate moss was pictured snorting cocaine and still wasn't dropped ..or am I wrong??
I don't believe I have ever seen Kate Moss on the Cornflakes box? She usually can be seen in Cosmo.

The bottom line, concerning Phelps, is that he broke his contracts. the contracts had clauses in them concerning appropriate behaviour in public. I guess smoking from a bong pipe wasn't in the contract.

Michael made a choice - end of story.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the fact a lot of parents were telling their kids "oh look at good old Michael Phelps, he worked hard and became one of the greatest Olympians in history."

Of course sponsors will drop him you idiot.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:48 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe Mike phelps is being drag over the coals simply because he was photographed taking a toke from a bung. Now it's reported that one of his major sponsors has dumped him and many of the 50 million dollar plus contracts are in jeopardy.
Now that would have caused a ruckus.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody has said anything about the person who posted the picture in the first place.
At the end of the day Phellps et al are responsible for their decisions and actions. If the sponsors drop them for whatever reason, then so be it. Phellps isn't a saint, he is a talented fast swimmer, end of. I just don't get the idol worship, I don't get why people put these folk up on a pedastal. The media present this like it is earth shattering, the world stopped turning.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:03 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
Nobody has said anything about the person who posted the picture in the first place.
At the end of the day Phellps et al are responsible for their decisions and actions. If the sponsors drop them for whatever reason, then so be it. Phellps isn't a saint, he is a talented fast swimmer, end of. I just don't get the idol worship, I don't get why people put these folk up on a pedastal. The media present this like it is earth shattering, the world stopped turning.
That's the way they present everything. They don't report news, they attempt to create it.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
IThe bottom line, concerning Phelps, is that he broke his contracts. the contracts had clauses in them concerning appropriate behaviour in public. I guess smoking from a bong pipe wasn't in the contract.
He wasn't in public; he was at a private party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.