Brits Hate Americans???

Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Heather1111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits Hate Americans???

There is a large chance that my husband and I will be moving back to his hometown in the UK. I am worried because of some things I hear and read about the hatred toward Americans.

I am very concerned that if I we go there, I will be subjected to insults and prejudice from people just because of where I was born. How is that fair? Better yet....How can that behavior even be considered as human?

Example: (check out some of these remarks at this link)

http://www.bestandworst.com/pages/vo...ult-11594.html

I'd really like to hear from some
people as to why they think this is?

~~~Heather~~~

Last edited by Heather1111; Mar 9th 2004 at 6:13 am.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits Hate Americans???

Originally posted by Heather1111
There is a large chance that my husband and I will be moving back to his home country (England). I am scared to death because of all the terrible things I hear and read about the hatred toward Americans.

I am very worried that if I we go there, I will be subjected to constant insults and prejudice from British people just because of where I was BORN. How is that fair? Better yet....How can that behavior even be considered as HUMAN?

I'd really like to hear from some British people as to why this is?

~~~Heather~~~
Stop worrying. If you are a nice person, the average Brit will overlook your atrocious accent.

(just getting you ready for the average Brit irony).

But really, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just speak softly and carry a big stick (more irony......
)
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have worked alongside many an American in the Uk and most have got on fine. A whinging yank will annoy just as a whinging pom annoys Americans and Aussies but we all settle fine.

Where are you moving to?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Heather1111
There is a large chance that my husband and I will be moving back to his home country (England). I am scared to death because of all the terrible things I hear and read about the hatred toward Americans.

I am very worried that if I we go there, I will be subjected to constant insults and prejudice from British people just because of where I was BORN. How is that fair? Better yet....How can that behavior even be considered as HUMAN?

I'd really like to hear from some British people as to why this is?

~~~Heather~~~

Dont worry Heather, just pretend to be Canadian. 99.9% of Brits will never know the difference, and it works just fine for all those US backpackers in Europe with maple leafs on their packs (More irony)

Seriously I think it is American power politics that is disliked, individual americans are taken at face value. But like any immigrant abroad, I would avoid being too gung ho about the virtues of your homeland. Brits in Canada constantly going on about how great the UK is tend to annoy Canadians, who will reply with a blunt "If it's so great there then why dont you take the first plane back" and the same thing will happen in the UK if you go on about the USA.

Dont worry about it, there are @$$holes everywhere in the world, Enjoy exploring the country.

Iain
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Something to note: One of the most irritating things for a non-American to hear is how things are bigger and better back in the States!

If you bear this in mind when comparing things eg. houses, cars, size of food portions in restaurants, customer service etc. then you will be fine!

People all over the world love to hear compliments about their country, so it will go a long way if even if you don't like something or some place, just say that you think it is "charming" or "endearing" etc. As the now deceased Queen Mother used to say... "never complain, never explain"!

Undoubtedly you will almost certainly hear from a European (not just Brits, but French, Germans, Swiss, Italians etc.) how wasteful the US is with regards to the environment, driving gas-guzzling cars, or drying clothes in a dryer instead of hanging laundry to dry on a washing line in the garden, for example. There is a large "green" movement in Western Europe and many people really do care about conservation (and have to pay high fuel taxes because of it) whereas there is the perception that in the US the politicians and public are only concerned with where they can source cheap oil/gas from.....

You may come across people saying that the Iraq war was really because of guaranteeing a gas supply for the US, and that the pristine land in Alaska will be destroyed as Bush has agreed that oil can be drilled there.

I would advise that you smile sweetly and say that you don't agree with it either (even if you do!) and that's the end of any antagonism which may occur.

You might find some good tips - and maybe some new friends - from expat Americans living in the UK. Some are on short-term work assignments and others are like yourself, married to Brits and residing in the UK long-term or indefinitely. The website has however, just changed as donations are needed for the site's upkeep, so if you want access to the forums you will need to pay a donation:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

Good Luck! And please don't worry.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by iaink
Dont worry Heather, just pretend to be Canadian. 99.9% of Brits will never know the difference, and it works just fine for all those US backpackers in Europe with maple leafs on their packs (More irony)

Seriously I think it is American power politics that is disliked, individual americans are taken at face value. But like any immigrant abroad, I would avoid being too gung ho about the virtues of your homeland. Brits in Canada constantly going on about how great the UK is tend to annoy Canadians, who will reply with a blunt "If it's so great there then why dont you take the first plane back" and the same thing will happen in the UK if you go on about the USA.

Dont worry about it, there are @$$holes everywhere in the world, Enjoy exploring the country.

Iain

I agree. Most of my Brits friends would have a passionate dislike to US foreign policy, but they would not project it to any particular American. You'll have a great time, just don't worry. Personally, working for major US banks in UK, I've got on just fine with my American colleagues, and never had any problems. Enjoy the good old England.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:25 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't be too offended if people imitate your accent two seconds after meeting you!! At first, my wife had to put up with all sorts of crap American impressions from my friends. Maybe it was just my mates as since we moved over here I've only had 3 Americans try a Scottish accent out on me.

Being from Texas she also had to field a couple of comments about Dubya, but nothing remotely malicious.

As has been said above, smile sweetly and perhaps grit your teeth. You can always take any frustration out on your husband afterwards if you need to!

All the best!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dunroving
Stop worrying. If you are a nice person, the average Brit will overlook your atrocious accent.
Okay....So I'm from Boston....How bad is that???
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
I have worked alongside many an American in the Uk and most have got on fine. A whinging yank will annoy just as a whinging pom annoys Americans and Aussies but we all settle fine.

Where are you moving to?

My husband says: Wherever he can find work.... Probably the North of England... Is that a good thing?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by iaink
Seriously I think it is American power politics that is disliked, individual americans are taken at face value. But like any immigrant abroad, I would avoid being too gung ho about the virtues of your homeland. Dont worry about it, there are @$$holes everywhere in the world, Enjoy exploring the country.

Iain

Thank you Iain.... Very realistic.... Fortunately, I can't stand American politics....

I think Bush should be strung up by his personal regions...
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Heather,
I have worked for American Companies all my life and have many American friends. A lot of them have been to the UK for several years and thoroughly enjoyed it

I agree with the Posts above, you will find most people will take you at Face Value, they may not agree with your Country's politics but that shouldn't affect how you get along with them.

You may run into the occasional Hard*ss but just ignore them, as these types of people often dislike all other Nationalities not just Americans.

Hope you enjoy it

JayJay
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Englishmum
Undoubtedly you will almost certainly hear from a European (not just Brits, but French, Germans, Swiss, Italians etc.) how wasteful the US is with regards to the environment, driving gas-guzzling cars, or drying clothes in a dryer instead of hanging laundry to dry on a washing line in the garden, for example.

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

Good Luck! And please don't worry.

(Fortunately, I own a Mitsubishi....It's pretty good on gas.... But I have to disagree with the dryer issue.... The spiders and bugs are definitely not welcome in my home or bed... uggggg..... Especially the kind you find in NC.... It's either 'dry your clothes in a dryer' or die from a pretty painful bite from some angry insect.... I'll definitely take the former...)

I do hope I find people I can get along with. Unfortunately, this seems to be the only site I have found that has nice, rational British people on it... All others, so far, have been violent and vicious...
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by DaveC
Please don't be too offended if people imitate your accent two seconds after meeting you!! At first, my wife had to put up with all sorts of crap American impressions from my friends. Maybe it was just my mates as since we moved over here I've only had 3 Americans try a Scottish accent out on me.

Being from Texas she also had to field a couple of comments about Dubya, but nothing remotely malicious.

As has been said above, smile sweetly and perhaps grit your teeth. You can always take any frustration out on your husband afterwards if you need to!

All the best!

I'll try to deal with it... Unfortunately, my grandfather taught me, from birth and beyond, to be extremely outspoken and defensive, when it comes to my beliefs and equality.... It's really difficult to shut my mouth when I think someone is being a complete dork.... I'll probably end up getting fired a lot... :scared:
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum

If you bear this in mind when comparing things eg. houses, cars, size of food portions in restaurants, customer service etc. then you will be fine!

Remember "Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff" (George Carlin)
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Oh jeeeez....I just now noticed this....How do I get rid of my signature line at the bottom of everything I write (without having to unclick it every single time?) My husband already got here in July....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.