Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

THE BRITISH TOP 10 !!!!!!!!

THE BRITISH TOP 10 !!!!!!!!

Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:06 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default THE BRITISH TOP 10 !!!!!!!!

Can people submit their TOP 10 reasons why they believe (I am perfectly happy to admit that this is opinion based) the UK is a better place to be, at least for them.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE BRITISH TOP 10 !!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by camponotus
Can people submit their TOP 10 reasons why they believe (I am perfectly happy to admit that this is opinion based) the UK is a better place to be, at least for them.
Is there a point to all these similar threads, or are you just bored?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is there a point to all these similar threads, or are you just bored?
I'm sorry I thought this was a free forum/country.

Please let me know if I've gotten that wrong.

Have a wonderful day, won't you.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:51 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

I love the lush green vegetation
I love the smell when it has just rained
I love the food
I love the choice in the supermarkets
I love being able to browse in peace in the shops
I love being able to be just ME and not A POM
I love the history
I love the consideration by other drivers (was hooted at today for pulling out on a dual carriageway by the person in the other lane who decided she'd like to be in the lane I was in but didn't want to indicate as such, there is nothing on my car to suggest I can mind read:curse rant over.
Free dental for the children
Not having to pay for books, stationary, tissues and school fees at beginning of each school term, the boys go to a state school not private, I hasten to add.
I could go on but you asked for 10
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meljor
I love the lush green vegetation
I love the smell when it has just rained
I love the food
I love the choice in the supermarkets
I love being able to browse in peace in the shops
I love being able to be just ME and not A POM
I love the history
I love the consideration by other drivers (was hooted at today for pulling out on a dual carriageway by the person in the other lane who decided she'd like to be in the lane I was in but didn't want to indicate as such, there is nothing on my car to suggest I can mind read:curse rant over.
Free dental for the children
Not having to pay for books, stationary, tissues and school fees at beginning of each school term, the boys go to a state school not private, I hasten to add.
I could go on but you asked for 10
In no particular order:

* The atmosphere - the feel of being in a place where 'things happen'.
* Genuine and wide ranging diversity at your doorstep.
* Being able to drive for an hour or so and see so many different things and such a wide range of scenery.
* The relative of absence of ridiculously strict and over-the-top bureaucracy.
* The infinitely better TV and Radio broadcasting.
* The availability of more than just 2 newspapers.
* Being in a place where people aren't trying to boast about themselves and their country the entire bloody time.
* Being able to see beautiful old buildings, even those in ruins, and the sense of history that comes with that.
* Good shops in general, particularly supermarkets, which are crap in Australia as is now well established.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Oh, thought I'd exhausted my 10.

* It's where I feel I belong.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:06 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, thought I'd exhausted my 10.

* It's where I feel I belong.
Yes, absolutely, when I was back there earlier this year, the feeling of belonging was instant as soon as I landed. The feeling of not belonging crushes my spirit every day here in Australia.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

1) The sense of belonging (this is definitely number one in my book)
2) Beautiful green scenery with rolling hills
3) The Scottish Highlands (absolutely beautiful)
4) The sheer history of the place (love castles etc)
5) My family close by
6) Friends who just "get me"
7) The feeling of not being an "outsider"
8) Rain! I love rain.........
9) Delicious chocolate!
10) The sheer Britishness of everything, I love the telly, accents, way of life!

M.

Last edited by Marmalade; Oct 9th 2008 at 5:11 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yes these are all similar threads but i'll answer one more coz i'm bored today

i don't need 10 reasons just one.....the UK is home, it's where i belong
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes these are all similar threads but i'll answer one more coz i'm bored today

i don't need 10 reasons just one.....the UK is home, it's where i belong
And, that is the most important one of all
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:54 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I just suggested something like this, but nationwide. On another thread, I mean. I've been away, so I'm picking up threads here and there.

I meant it for people in England, to get them out of their funk, and as I'm not, it's not the same, but, from recent visits, here's a few.

1. The countryside. It really is special, which I don't think many there appreciate. There are other places similar, but not that many, and there's such variety in a small space.

2. A long and fascinating history with evidence of it all over the place from castles to trees. Again, not unique, but special.

3. A good education system with lots of interaction, because of the small space.

4. That small space. When you've lived in a place like Canada, mostly strung along a border of what, 5,000 miles? you appreciate people and places being close together even if it means less private space for each.

4. A temperate climate. Definitely each to their own, but I don't like extremes of heat or cold. I don't mind rain.

5. The sea within easy reach of anywhere. When you've ended up a thousand miles or so away, you really do appreciate that.

This is all leaving aside people, sense of humor, the beauty of understatement etc etc etc

Bev