Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Are British people small minded compared to Americans ?

Are British people small minded compared to Americans ?

Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:24 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are British people small minded compared to Americans ?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, fair points.

OP seems to be specifically interested in race, but then also 'directness'.
He's being a dick. His sole purpose seems to be to get us at each other's throats for no real reason.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
He's being a dick. His sole purpose seems to be to get us at each other's throats for no real reason.
Well, any excuse
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:33 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, any excuse
As well as any excuse for gratuitous photos. My goddaughter :
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:42 am
WTF?

Gorgeous.
Yup. Genetically superior in every conceivable way with a seriously fierce diva personality. I won't be surprised if she turns out to be a super model ... along the lines of Naomi Campbell in personality though.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, interracial marriage rates wouldn't automatically = open-mindedness.
I'm willing to bet there's a close correlation. If you go and look at the rise in rates of mixed marriage in the US it very much coincides with the civil rights era and the end of apartheid in the US. Don't you think people are more likely to date and marry someone from another race if it is socially acceptable amongst their family/friends?
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:59 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm willing to bet there's a close correlation. If you go and look at the rise in rates of mixed marriage in the US it very much coincides with the civil rights era and the end of apartheid in the US. Don't you think people are more likely to date and marry someone from another race if it is socially acceptable amongst their family/friends?
And I would suggest to you that it is much more difficult for a society that has actually experienced apartheid to completely overcome the racial divides. Contextually speaking, it is not a fair comparison.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And I have seen your hair just like that ....

I still have that nightmare after all these years
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say it.. she's amazing!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:11 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Ray
And I have seen your hair just like that ....

I still have that nightmare after all these years
Liar. You love it.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:18 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by meauxna
I have to say it.. she's amazing!
Not much chance of anybody telling her that there's no place for her ... unless they want to pick their teeth up off the floor.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Not much chance of anybody telling her that there's no place for her ... unless they want to pick their teeth up off the floor.

She is stunning. Love her hair
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Why is itt hat British people seem to get much more defensive and go out of their way to prove they're not a racist? I talk to Brits online a lot, ones that still live in the UK, and they seem very adamant to prove they are not racist and basically step around glass shards when talking about race. I mean like, for example I would say (as I normally do) the first high school I went to didn't have a lot of blacks in it but my 2nd one did, and they get all like, don't say that! That's racist, I think you mean to say non-Caucasian, people-of-a-different-background, etc. Why is that? Every single one I've talked to (and met one in person when I was in Chicago) gasp when I say the word 'black' like if it was the f-bomb....or n-bomb
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Very beautiful child. Looks like my hair in the morning....and that's a scary thing.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Every single one I've talked to (and met one in person when I was in Chicago) gasp when I say the word 'black' like if it was the f-bomb....or n-bomb
Wait til you meet one that wants to tell you about the 'red indians'.

I dunno, that post just doesn't track with my experience. I've found the broad spectrum of British people is pretty much like the broad spectrum of people anywhere. Some racist small minded people and most not. Things that I think are racist based on US culture/vocabulary don't turn a head there, and vice versa.

The question should be turned back on the OP (as if he'll ever come back). He's British afterall and he should be telling us.
Otherwise, this is just a chit stirring thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.