Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British Hens Have Bigger Fannies Than Aussie Hens!

British Hens Have Bigger Fannies Than Aussie Hens!

Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:39 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Hens Have Bigger Fannies Than Aussie Hens!

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I have always bought free range or fresh farm eggs, but recently I read an article from the RSPCA which said that 'barn laid' eggs were better.
Check out the link.. they are trying for better conditions so choose free range or barn laid with the RSPCA endorsement

http://www.choosewisely.org.au/
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:25 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
worked in the uk for the major european egg producer in the engineering team. the food industry is all smoke and mirrors. a famous high street name is effectively the industry regulator but turns a blind eye to ensure supply whilst paying lip service to standards etc.
most of my job was covering shit up
Not a rewarding job then. I know I'd hate it and wouldn't be able to sleep nights.

Originally Posted by sel
Check out the link.. they are trying for better conditions so choose free range or barn laid with the RSPCA endorsement

http://www.choosewisely.org.au/
Thanks for that Sel, I buy as wisely as I know how. Back home I just used to walk over the lane to the farm house to choose my eggs for £1 a dozen and fresh as you could get.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:40 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;6880947]Not a rewarding job then. I know I'd hate it and wouldn't be able to sleep nights.

true. i wasn't comfortable with it. love my food but in the 10 years i worked in the industry, i hated myself whenever i ate supermarket eggs. we are a funny lot us humans. the reservations can be put aside for filthy lucre
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:33 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;6880989]
Not a rewarding job then. I know I'd hate it and wouldn't be able to sleep nights.

true. i wasn't comfortable with it. love my food but in the 10 years i worked in the industry, i hated myself whenever i ate supermarket eggs. we are a funny lot us humans. the reservations can be put aside for filthy lucre
Would you care to share some of your knowledge with us?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:51 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;6883576]
Would you care to share some of your knowledge with us?
well if the treatment of animals is a concern, the best eggs to buy are from a farm, where you can actually see the hens running about. or have your own chooks. next would be free roaming, which can be abused a bit as a term but will almost certainly be better. organic free range usually represents better conditions. then there is free range which some but not all producers really abuse.
free range eggs marked with the soil association mark are pretty good. i have actually seen some of these farms and whilst the hens aren't at the waldorf, the conditions are fair.

cage and barn hens are just turned into vegetables. i won't go into detail.
i'm not a massive animal lover but this industry is awful and from the other angle, how can this lead to a wholesome tasty product.
these viewpoints are based on the uk industry, i have no idea if the same practices are followed here
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:36 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;6883622]

well if the treatment of animals is a concern, the best eggs to buy are from a farm, where you can actually see the hens running about. or have your own chooks. next would be free roaming, which can be abused a bit as a term but will almost certainly be better. organic free range usually represents better conditions. then there is free range which some but not all producers really abuse.
free range eggs marked with the soil association mark are pretty good. i have actually seen some of these farms and whilst the hens aren't at the waldorf, the conditions are fair.

cage and barn hens are just turned into vegetables. i won't go into detail.
i'm not a massive animal lover but this industry is awful and from the other angle, how can this lead to a wholesome tasty product.
these viewpoints are based on the uk industry, i have no idea if the same practices are followed here
We downloaded a series on the chicken farming industry by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall from UKNOVA which was eye opening, to say the least! The way these hens live is appalling and the idea of eating one of these chickens yuk!

Now I have always been a bit pedantic about free range and organic stuff, used to buy my meat from the real meat company in Harrogate and still buy free range organic stuff here in Melbourne but recent reports in the press and from some of my country living colleagues have got me worried that the stuff I buy is not what it says it is i.e organic and fresh. This has made me more determined to get out of here, we cannot have our own chickens due to renting and I will not buy here.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:39 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=meljor;6884199]

We downloaded a series on the chicken farming industry by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall from UKNOVA which was eye opening, to say the least! The way these hens live is appalling and the idea of eating one of these chickens yuk!

Now I have always been a bit pedantic about free range and organic stuff, used to buy my meat from the real meat company in Harrogate and still buy free range organic stuff here in Melbourne but recent reports in the press and from some of my country living colleagues have got me worried that the stuff I buy is not what it says it is i.e organic and fresh. This has made me more determined to get out of here, we cannot have our own chickens due to renting and I will not buy here.

And my husband was only saying yesterday that he thinks chicken tastes funny here
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:43 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

And my husband was only saying yesterday that he thinks chicken tastes funny here
Please fix the quotes.

When we first came I noticed a difference and I suppose I've got used to it now, but when my sister stayed with us, she said the chicken had a strange taste to it.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:45 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;6884206]
Originally Posted by meljor

I think it smells funny too. Think that's why the cooked chicken counters cover their chickens in chicken salt
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:46 am
'In limboland'

I think it smells funny too. Think that's why the cooked chicken counters cover their chickens in chicken salt
Do they? I've never seen that where I shop.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:47 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Please fix the quotes.

When we first came I noticed a difference and I suppose I've got used to it now, but when my sister stayed with us, she said the chicken had a strange taste to it.
it often has a strange texture too.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:48 am
I don't give a damn

Gawwd i just had a horrible thought... maybe they aint chickens at all...lmao
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:49 am
Yorkshire Lass

Please fix the quotes.

OOh yeah we seem to have a bit of Friday night madness going on here, I don't know who I am anymore. Better have another Pimms that will make it right . Anyone care to join me?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:50 am
I don't give a damn

OOh yeah we seem to have a bit of Friday night madness going on here, I don't know who I am anymore. Better have another Pimms that will make it right . Anyone care to join me?
I would love a drink but the meds wont allow me
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:51 am
Yorkshire Lass

Do they? I've never seen that where I shop.
Coles at Moonee Ponds and our local chicken shop, which is supposed to be Ionica and processed without chemicals .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.