British Driving Licence

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default British Driving Licence

Can you get a british driving licence if you hold and australian provisional licence or would you need to retake your test ?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Driving Licence

Originally Posted by jwinch
Can you get a british driving licence if you hold and australian provisional licence or would you need to retake your test ?

What do you mean by "provisional" licence - do you mean a learner or a probationary licence?

If you've not done so already, look at http://www.dvla.gov.uk (unless you plan to live in Northern Ireland, where the system is different).
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

glosoli is an unknown quantity at this point

Just searching and figured I may as well post in this thread rather than start a new one, - I have an Australian probationary licence (P's..), and will be returning to the UK, i'm wondering if I will need to take a practical test to get a British licence? Anyone know?

The DVLA site has not been specific in this regard, unfortunately.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glosoli
Just searching and figured I may as well post in this thread rather than start a new one, - I have an Australian probationary licence (P's..), and will be returning to the UK, i'm wondering if I will need to take a practical test to get a British licence? Anyone know?

The DVLA site has not been specific in this regard, unfortunately.
try this http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Dr...559&chk=FLyj0W
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:44 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jwinch
Well if its a Provisinal Lincence that means that you have not taken a test?
So if you have not taken a test in your own county then of course you need to sit your UK test.

Designated Countries
Great Britain has reciprocal exchange agreements with Gibraltar and 14 designated countries. The designated countries are:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea*, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

If you are a visitor in GB, and hold full ordinary entitlement, you can drive any category of vehicle, up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the date you last entered GB, whether or not you brought the vehicle into GB. If you also hold full entitlement to drive large lorries or buses you are only allowed to drive large vehicles registered outside the GB that you have driven into the country.

If you are resident in GB and provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive small vehicles for 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a GB licence must be obtained before this period elapses, by exchanging your licence for a GB one. If you do not do this you must stop driving although you may apply to exchange your licence at any time within five years of becoming resident.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:06 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I think the word 'provisional' is causing some confusion. I think I am right in saying in Australia 'P platers' have passed their test, but need to display the P plate for a certain length of time to show other drivers they are new at it. Here in the UK you apply for a 'provisional licence' or 'learners' before actually sitting your test.

If you have passed your test in Australia then as the previous post points out you can exchange your licence for a full GB one.