A brief return

Old Jan 24th 2017, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A brief return

Try Bel'ls Bar in Forrest Road. It is full of old sights. I used to be one of them !
Old Jan 24th 2017, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

I've managed to secure a place at a friends house in Uddingston for the time that I'm in Glasgow which I'm extremely grateful for as it frees up a massive amount of my budget that would otherwise have been spent on hotels.

Trying to get in for a tour at Tunnocks, they always say fully booked but I figure it doesn't hurt to try
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Try Bel'ls Bar in Forrest Road. It is full of old sights. I used to be one of them !
I second Sandy Bell's, one of my old haunts many moons ago when the Royal Infirmary was round the corner. Wonder if they still have a folk night.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Sandy Bells ?! That's definitely on the list.

Also the Star Bar at Eglinton Toll in Glasgow, can't miss the 3-course lunch for £3.00 (or upgrade to an Ashet Pie or Mince for 50p) !
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'd fly from Glasgow to Stornoway to maximise time spent with family. Flybe has flights for 3rd week March at £151 return.

hotwire.com is a good site to look for hotels, airbnb might not be a bad option if you're going to be based in one place for a few nights.

I'd take a look at the national trust for scotland for ideas of places to visit. There are loads and loads within an hour of Glasgow.... Culzean Castle is one of the best, Charles Rennie MacIntosh house spring to mind.
Hotwire you say? Check out the complaints they have received. From my experience you may as well throw your money down the drain. They got me for $500.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And of course the Oxford Bar as featured in the Rebus novels. Now of course stowed out with tourists and not a local to be seen ! Rankin has a lot to answer for !
Old Feb 12th 2017, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Squareslice is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just returned from a month in Scotland\Glasgow (where I am from). I had such a good time (in light of some personal tradegy) have decided to go back after 15 years in Australia (which now seems boring). Stirling has developed into a fantastic town I probably did not appreciate when I was at University there. It is a great base in itself and for access to Glasgow, Edinburgh and the Highlands. Nearby Falkirk witn the Kelpies, the Wheel, and Calendar House is well worth a visit. If you have kids, Glasgow (place seems full of deer!) along with all the great parks, the Science and Tech Centre was as reall winner with my son as was the new Riverside Transport museum. A drive up to Inverness via Perth then return via the lenghth of Loch Ness down through Fort William, Loch Lomond (drop in at the unique Drovers) and Glen Coe is a great trip in the Summer. I meant to go down to London (I lived there for over 10 years and have family there) but had such a great time in Glasgow\Scotland I ended up not going.