Bill Bryson on England

Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:32 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bill Bryson on England

Originally Posted by Hove
I watched him yesterday,Our beautiful English countryside takes a lot of beating,And Oh the sausages looked so good..........................And I have been gone 50 years, going home for Christmas must have one more at least before I fall off my perch and have some real food.
i have just returned from a month in the uk and as usual it was not long enough! our home is a stones throw from the beautiful surrey hills and i love it!

you will notice great changes (some not for the better that's for sure) in the 50yrs you've been away however England still has some of the prettiest countryside anywhere in the world imo! have a great time at christmas!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:49 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bill Bryson on England

A great book, indeed and if you get the chance, watch "Notes From a Small Island" on DVD. He does an excellent job. He's a cool guy.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

I've also been a fan of Bill Bryson's for a few years - always enjoyed his newspaper articles and books.

Anybody know when he returned to Britain ? The last article I read by him said they had returned to America for their children's education.

ps good name for a hedge !
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:55 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willij
I've also been a fan of Bill Bryson's for a few years - always enjoyed his newspaper articles and books.

Anybody know when he returned to Britain ? The last article I read by him said they had returned to America for their children's education.

ps good name for a hedge !
I think he returned only briefly to give his kids a chance to experience his homeland (and so his wife could experience 24/7 shopping, I remember him saying...)

But then he returned to his heartland!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think he returned only briefly to give his kids a chance to experience his homeland (and so his wife could experience 24/7 shopping, I remember him saying...)

That's a nice way of putting it "Heartland" My Motherland & OH "Heatland".
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Bill Bryson on England

Thanks Elvira

Originally Posted by Elvira

Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i have just returned from a month in the uk and as usual it was not long enough! our home is a stones throw from the beautiful surrey hills and i love it!

you will notice great changes (some not for the better that's for sure) in the 50yrs you've been away however England still has some of the prettiest countryside anywhere in the world imo! have a great time at christmas!
I have been home a couple of times lived in Germany for over 20 years.
I remember leaving Germany and arriving in Gatwick{see family on the way back to USA] And hearing a couple of woman talking and saying better get a loaf of bread and then have a cuppa tea.That was music to my ears..............Silly really but I knew I was home...........
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:04 am
Account Closed

I have been home a couple of times lived in Germany for over 20 years.
I remember leaving Germany and arriving in Gatwick{see family on the way back to USA] And hearing a couple of woman talking and saying better get a loaf of bread and then have a cuppa tea.That was music to my ears..............Silly really but I knew I was home...........
haha there's nothing like putting the kettle on and making a good cuppa
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Where in Surrey? All my family are there now. I'm West London originally.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shivster
Where in Surrey? All my family are there now. I'm West London originally.
i've pm'd you
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:41 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
That's a nice way of putting it "Heartland" My Motherland & OH "Heatland".

I'm sure anytime He's with you he's in "Heatland" Vic!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'm sure anytime He's with you he's in "Heatland" Vic!
I know, I spotted my mistake much later but by then the edit button has gone :curse:
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:56 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I know, I spotted my mistake much later but by then the edit button has gone :curse:
That bugs the hell out of me...more so when I'm trying to be very cutting or funny....
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:30 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I watched him yesterday,Our beautiful English countryside takes a lot of beating,And Oh the sausages looked so good..........................And I have been gone 50 years, going home for Christmas must have one more at least before I fall off my perch and have some real food.
Sounds like you're in for a great christmas