changing plugs!

Old Jul 14th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default changing plugs!

hi all

i should be moving into my own house on the 23rd july (screaming yipee from the rooftops) and have my own stuff delivered.

Thing is the stuff i bought in aus i will need to use, ie freezer, washer, micorwave etc. I know the voltage is the same but obvioulsy the plugs different.

I, a dumb, slightly forgettful blonde, know how to wire a uk plug, red to the right, green up middle, brown to left. (!) but have no idea how these relate to oz wiring.

short of scouring middlesbrough for adapter plugs ie oz-uk, can someone give me some advice.

regards

lolly
Old Jul 14th 2007, 5:49 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changing plugs!

Most of the plugs that I have changed are Blue to the left and brown to the right - Earth and live, not had to deal with plugs with any extra wires - thankgod!!! Some were from UAE and pretty much straight forward.

What colour are earth and live wires on there -Im sure someone will be able to help you more.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hi all

i should be moving into my own house on the 23rd july (screaming yipee from the rooftops) and have my own stuff delivered.

Thing is the stuff i bought in aus i will need to use, ie freezer, washer, micorwave etc. I know the voltage is the same but obvioulsy the plugs different.

I, a dumb, slightly forgettful blonde, know how to wire a uk plug, red to the right, green up middle, brown to left. (!) but have no idea how these relate to oz wiring.

short of scouring middlesbrough for adapter plugs ie oz-uk, can someone give me some advice.

regards

lolly
I wouldn't mess with electrics. I'm not even sure you're still allowed to change your own plugs in the UK - I think they changed the law a couple of years ago.

Probably safer to use adaptors or get an electrician to do it once you get there.

You would have to get the adaptors in the country you are moving FROM though! (I don't think they are available in the UK - I had that problem once before...)
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:07 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lolly - so pleased about your house news, bet you can't wait

Hubby did all ours freezer, microwave, power tools, garden stuff etc. and he says it's easy - just the same as UK wiring. Blue to left, brown to the right and if there is another one, its the earth - up the middle.

Elvira - you can still change plugs no problem - think it's the rewiring that you have to get passed by an electriction

Good luck.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Hi Lolly - so pleased about your house news, bet you can't wait

Hubby did all ours freezer, microwave, power tools, garden stuff etc. and he says it's easy - just the same as UK wiring. Blue to left, brown to the right and if there is another one, its the earth - up the middle.

Elvira - you can still change plugs no problem - think it's the rewiring that you have to get passed by an electriction

Good luck.
thanks louise,

the goods not delivered yet so will wait and see. Thank goodness i dont have to call in an electrician, i can turn my hand to most things but electricity scares the s**t out of me, dont even like changing lightbulbs..what a wuz eh!

should be in the house on the 23rd, sellers not to happy, they said they would drop the keys of at agents LATE evening...bummer..estate agents will just have to stay open a little later.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wouldn't mess with electrics. I'm not even sure you're still allowed to change your own plugs in the UK - I think they changed the law a couple of years ago.

Probably safer to use adaptors or get an electrician to do it once you get there.

You would have to get the adaptors in the country you are moving FROM though! (I don't think they are available in the UK - I had that problem once before...)

thanks for the advice...i wouldnt normally mess with electrics either

only managed to get hold of one adaptor before i left, silly me, not forward thinking me..lol
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:01 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

hi all

regards

lolly

Hey you want to do a plug swop, im now in oz and swopping all my english ones to oz ones!
Dont forget to put the correct size fuses in your english plugs!!!

Stu
Old Jul 15th 2007, 4:56 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure most people know this, but the odd one might not. The easiest way to remember which side to place the wires is

bLue = second letter L for left

bRown = second letter R for right

Luckily my ex is a spark so i will get him to do it. I'm hoping to buy a load of adaptors too before i leave
Old Jul 15th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I'm sure most people know this, but the odd one might not. The easiest way to remember which side to place the wires is

Luckily my ex is a spark so i will get him to do it. I'm hoping to buy a load of adaptors too before i leave
cant you get adaptors back home?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

Try these (all Australian shops)

http://www.mittoni.com.au/australia-...er-p-1825.html

http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product....062&catID=5163

Also try BigW, KMart etc as I've seen them in there.

Lolly, there's some here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...813181-0450512 but they are from the USA. Can't find any in the UK

If you have a maplins or similar near you then they may have them.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:00 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

regards

lolly
UK plugs are easy. The way to remember is...

Live goes to the fuse, Red or Brown (most are brown)

Green and yellow is earth and goes to the big fat prong at the top/middle

The one that's left neutral, black or blue goes to the only one left and is opposite the fuse side.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
UK plugs are easy. The way to remember is...

Live goes to the fuse, Red or Brown (most are brown)

Green and yellow is earth and goes to the big fat prong at the top/middle

The one that's left neutral, black or blue goes to the only one left and is opposite the fuse side.
Yes brown (rt), blue (left), the other up the middle in UK.....but if you're rewiring an Oz appliance, theres no earth is there, just your left n right wires (if wiring to UK plug).
Must be safe still but I am a tad confused. If its a metal lamp with no earth wire, tu as un probleme, puetetre, oui? Dont know why went French for a sec but if you havent an earth cable it could be no fun couldnt it.
Anyone?

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 15th 2007 at 11:59 am.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yes brown (rt), blue (left), the other up the middle in UK.....but if you're rewiring an Oz appliance, theres no earth is there, just your left n right wires (if wiring to UK plug).
Must be safe still but I am a tad confused. If its a metal lamp with no earth wire, tu as un probleme, puetetre, oui? Dont know why went French for a sec but if you havent an earth cable it could be no fun couldnt it.
Anyone?
bloody hell you type french...great..lol

Im not rewiring a metal lamp...a washer yes...oh water and electricity not a good mix me thinks..
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:04 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

like this
Attached Thumbnails changing plugs!-mains-plug.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pony
like this
excellent...thanks

shall have to buy new screwdrivers etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.