British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

Sammy2018 Feb 23rd 2019 9:43 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12642055)
https://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/cr...ax_476x317.pngWhat a cool house. Would be idea if it was a little smaller

love

Sammy2018 Feb 23rd 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12642065)
https://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/cr...ax_476x317.jpgQuid essential British home. Not easy finding this style home.

love

Sammy2018 Feb 23rd 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12642030)
I'm very happy for you. The next few months are going to be busy, fun and filled with adjustment and problem solving as any long distance relocation can be. But all of that will be a distant memory once your family has settled into the daily routines of life. Not to mention all the fun activities you will start planning once back in the UK. And you're heading home at a great time with spring just a handful of weeks away. Do you already have any special outings planned?

I like your flight arrangements going to the UK. Seem like Texas always has a reasonable fare traveling to just about everywhere. I think Texas to the UK is even less expensive than Orlando to the UK. The Mrs and I still have nearly two years before we head over which is a lot of time to plan everything out. We'll probably buy our home about one year before departing but we've not decided 100% about the timing. My wife wants to do a cruise back home and I'm ok with that. It's never really been my type of thing but maybe if we get my siblings to join us for the trip that might add a bit of extra fun. We'll see.

2 years will be upon you before you know it.
I am on your wife’s side and you should cruise across
I used to say I would never cruise but 2 years ago we cruised the meditteranian on Oceania .
It’s a small ship about 1200 passengers and amazing service we loved loved loved it.

We also looked at taking our pooch on the Queen Mary out of New York to Southampton however that plan fizzled quickly as it’s last sail for the season was January 3rd.

No fun plans scheduled as of yet but we have to go in to Liverpool so we will take the train and have lunch out.

Sammy2018 Feb 27th 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12642212)

2 years will be upon you before you know it.
I am on your wife’s side and you should cruise across
I used to say I would never cruise but 2 years ago we cruised the meditteranian on Oceania .
It’s a small ship about 1200 passengers and amazing service we loved loved loved it.

We also looked at taking our pooch on the Queen Mary out of New York to Southampton however that plan fizzled quickly as it’s last sail for the season was January 3rd.

No fun plans scheduled as of yet but we have to go in to Liverpool so we will take the train and have lunch out.

Out walking the dog today near Birkdale golf course today some really beautiful homes.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...94c313f10.jpeg
The round house is interesting
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...7d00231af.jpeg
The only thing infront of this home is the dog walk and the dunes of Birkdale golf course

uk03878 Feb 28th 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12638586)
Finding a spacious house with character is an achievable goal but locating the idea property might take them a while. Either way their still going to be down sizing compared to the previous stateside home that was 5000 square feet. But they will learn to adjust. Always trade offs. Maybe finding a large stone house in their budget could be difficult but a house partially of stone is very possible.

Loads of these in South Lincolnshire (modern and old stone built homes) especially around Barnack and Stamford, maybe Kings Cliffe and towards Oundle (although that is getting into Northamptonshire)

UkWinds5353 Feb 28th 2019 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12644864)

Out walking the dog today near Birkdale golf course today some really beautiful homes.
The only thing infront of this home is the dog walk and the dunes of Birkdale golf course

Those are amazing houses, and the lot sizes are idea. How does it feel to be back home? Does it feel surreal?

I've been offline for about a week. The Mrs and I celebrated our anniversary in NYC. She had no clue until we were on our way to the airport. I had secretly packed our luggage the day before and into the car trunk it went. Safe to say that little surprise has given me enough brownie points to stay out of the doghouse for a few months.

My friends have told me recently that after their long trip home they feel comfortable enough and confident in their choices of location, that buying straight away might be a strong likelihood. Finding the right house is the key.

UkWinds5353 Feb 28th 2019 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by uk03878 (Post 12645475)

Loads of these in South Lincolnshire (modern and old stone built homes) especially around Barnack and Stamford, maybe Kings Cliffe and towards Oundle (although that is getting into Northamptonshire)

Thanks for your post. My friends want the perfect location, the cake and the icing. Not always possible in a popular locale when working with a particular budget. They actually found one house during their trip that had everything they were looking for but unfortunately it was about 100K over budget. It will happen for them, just have to be patient.

Sammy2018 Mar 6th 2019 2:57 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12645785)
Those are amazing houses, and the lot sizes are idea. How does it feel to be back home? Does it feel surreal?

I've been offline for about a week. The Mrs and I celebrated our anniversary in NYC. She had no clue until we were on our way to the airport. I had secretly packed our luggage the day before and into the car trunk it went. Safe to say that little surprise has given me enough brownie points to stay out of the doghouse for a few months.

My friends have told me recently that after their long trip home they feel comfortable enough and confident in their choices of location, that buying straight away might be a strong likelihood. Finding the right house is the key.

I am sure your wife loved the trip ... however she is being generous giving you brownie points for a few months😆

It is wonderful to be home!! Not sure when reality will kick in.
I have to keep reminding myself I don’t have to visit with everyone in the next 10 days as we don’t have a plane to catch.
We just collected hubbies BRP card yesterday and now it’s more paperwork as we register with doctors , dentists ..
Bank accounts ... opening them is still a struggle even when you have a HSBC account in the USA it’s taken us 10 days just to get an appointment.

it will no be long before your friends are back .. time is flying by now that we are here.

UkWinds5353 Mar 11th 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12648672)

I am sure your wife loved the trip ... however she is being generous giving you brownie points for a few months😆

It is wonderful to be home!! Not sure when reality will kick in.
I have to keep reminding myself I don’t have to visit with everyone in the next 10 days as we don’t have a plane to catch.
We just collected hubbies BRP card yesterday and now it’s more paperwork as we register with doctors , dentists ..
Bank accounts ... opening them is still a struggle even when you have a HSBC account in the USA it’s taken us 10 days just to get an appointment.

it will no be long before your friends are back .. time is flying by now that we are here.

What have you noticed most about being back home?

I hear you about the process of setting everything up and yes it does take a minute to accomplish. Hang in there and you'll get through all of it. That is never the fun part when returning home but in a few months you both will be fully settled in. How are you both adjusting to the weather?

Sammy2018 Mar 13th 2019 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12651670)
What have you noticed most about being back home?

I hear you about the process of setting everything up and yes it does take a minute to accomplish. Hang in there and you'll get through all of it. That is never the fun part when returning home but in a few months you both will be fully settled in. How are you both adjusting to the weather?

We had 2 beautiful days of sun when we arrived however rain and high winds have dominated since. I am enjoying the cold however hubby is taking it slowly.
I am sure we will be a good place in another month.
Have your friends decided on the location yet?

UkWinds5353 Mar 15th 2019 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12653100)

We had 2 beautiful days of sun when we arrived however rain and high winds have dominated since. I am enjoying the cold however hubby is taking it slowly.
I am sure we will be a good place in another month.
Have your friends decided on the location yet?

March 20th will officially be spring. Warm weather is just around the corner and in the meantime enjoy the perks associated with crisp weather such as coco, tea and maybe a roaring good fireplace. I'm sure your husband will make the turn in no time at all. Is he excited about the difference in culture?

My friends are struggling a bit with coming to terms with the possible change in housing. It would seem my old buddy has become more Americanized than he thought possible or ever wanted to be. lol. The homes that suit their family best cost more than they(He) want to spend but are fortunately available in abundance in their target area. I've told posh guy to open up the bank account and bite the bullet and do what is necessary to achieve a well adjusted return home. I totally get that he is concerned about an additional 100k pound expenditure and how that goes against his conservative nature but it's not going to leave them broke and a house is so much more than just a financial investment.
His wife wants this to happen which is a very big deal considering her original reluctance in leaving family, friends and everything she knows. When the wife is 100% on board with a major change in direction for the family it just makes life so much easier. I do believe they will figure it out. Sometime throwing money at the problem is the way to go. I believe the extra cost is closer to 125K. But over time they can build that money back up.

Sammy2018 Mar 18th 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12654052)
March 20th will officially be spring. Warm weather is just around the corner and in the meantime enjoy the perks associated with crisp weather such as coco, tea and maybe a roaring good fireplace. I'm sure your husband will make the turn in no time at all. Is he excited about the difference in culture?

My friends are struggling a bit with coming to terms with the possible change in housing. It would seem my old buddy has become more Americanized than he thought possible or ever wanted to be. lol. The homes that suit their family best cost more than they(He) want to spend but are fortunately available in abundance in their target area. I've told posh guy to open up the bank account and bite the bullet and do what is necessary to achieve a well adjusted return home. I totally get that he is concerned about an additional 100k pound expenditure and how that goes against his conservative nature but it's not going to leave them broke and a house is so much more than just a financial investment.
His wife wants this to happen which is a very big deal considering her original reluctance in leaving family, friends and everything she knows. When the wife is 100% on board with a major change in direction for the family it just makes life so much easier. I do believe they will figure it out. Sometime throwing money at the problem is the way to go. I believe the extra cost is closer to 125K. But over time they can build that money back up.

Hubby is taking it all in his stride.
From a pricing perspective we have found you just need to change the $ to the £ especially when looking at big ticket items such as homes and cars.
I am sure if your buddies wife wants a specific home it will happen , however I must admit I would gripe if I had to pay more than planned.
I agree homes truly are more than a financial investment and the memories people make in them are priceless.

I just received my UK license ( I sent my old pink license in about a week ago ) so we plan to visit car dealerships next weekend. Hubby has been reading up on how car insurance groupings work so we are prepared. We have also been apprised of all the cameras that are in place along many of the roads ...

I must admit it’s been a crazy few weeks since our arrival, we have only just had our SIM cards switched on our phones which was something I thought we would be able to accomplish straight away.
We used transferwise to move some money last week, it was pretty easy to set up the account, however we had to send some extra documents to show where the funds came from.
We had opened a HSBC account in the USA hoping this would facilitate ease opening a UK account however that was not the case.
We have now opened an account with Nationwide ( suggestion noted by BritInParis on another post )

From a weather perspective it’s going to be drier this week and we may get up to 15 by Thursday.

I am loving grocery shopping, OXO cubes are in abundance, and of course the smoked fish ... there are also lots of food items / things I miss about the USA.

We have friends who are coming to visit in October so we are beginning to look at some places to visit while they are here.

UkWinds5353 Mar 20th 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12655527)

Hubby is taking it all in his stride.
From a pricing perspective we have found you just need to change the $ to the £ especially when looking at big ticket items such as homes and cars.
I am sure if your buddies wife wants a specific home it will happen , however I must admit I would gripe if I had to pay more than planned.
I agree homes truly are more than a financial investment and the memories people make in them are priceless.

I just received my UK license ( I sent my old pink license in about a week ago ) so we plan to visit car dealerships next weekend. Hubby has been reading up on how car insurance groupings work so we are prepared. We have also been apprised of all the cameras that are in place along many of the roads ...

I must admit it’s been a crazy few weeks since our arrival, we have only just had our SIM cards switched on our phones which was something I thought we would be able to accomplish straight away.
We used transferwise to move some money last week, it was pretty easy to set up the account, however we had to send some extra documents to show where the funds came from.
We had opened a HSBC account in the USA hoping this would facilitate ease opening a UK account however that was not the case.
We have now opened an account with Nationwide ( suggestion noted by BritInParis on another post )

From a weather perspective it’s going to be drier this week and we may get up to 15 by Thursday.

I am loving grocery shopping, OXO cubes are in abundance, and of course the smoked fish ... there are also lots of food items / things I miss about the USA.

We have friends who are coming to visit in October so we are beginning to look at some places to visit while they are here.

You know how to move back home with a splash, good for you. So glad things are rounding out for you both. Have you seen any of the old friends you use to know? I'm sure it's very enjoyable shopping for items that you haven't seen in some time. You'll probably have to grocery shop more often in the UK since food there have far fewer preservatives. Milk, eggs and dairy last for weeks in the States. Don't be surprised if you both lose a bit of weight due to less preservatives in the food. You guys have so much to look forward to in the coming months. Try to savor every moment.

UkWinds5353 Apr 10th 2019 9:29 pm

My friends informed me today that they have found a house in the Manchester area. Just came on the market and the sellers seem eager to sell. He is leaving to the UK Friday. My fingers are crossed for them. This is the first house they both have truly liked and it's not too far off from their price point.

Sammy2018 Apr 14th 2019 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12668805)
My friends informed me today that they have found a house in the Manchester area. Just came on the market and the sellers seem eager to sell. He is leaving to the UK Friday. My fingers are crossed for them. This is the first house they both have truly liked and it's not too far off from their price point.

Wonderful news I hope his trip was fruitful.
The weather here has been wonderful however the wind has a bite to it at times . I am now making home made bread, looking to plant herbs and my mother taught me how to scarify the lawn today .. I have found that groceries are cheaper , Pierre Bistrot is a wonderful place for a morning coffee, and that you lose weight due to the long walks from the parking lots ( that are free ) .
Your friends are going to love being in the UK but like us they will miss many things about the US ( Home Depot being one )

Jerseygirl Apr 14th 2019 6:30 pm

B & Q is owned by Home Depot.

BuckinghamshireBoy Apr 14th 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12670727)

Homebase used to be pretty good for DIY as well.

Sammy2018 Apr 14th 2019 8:00 pm

now I am scared 😱 service there has been bad and it’s only a quarter of the size of Home Depot.

Sammy2018 Apr 14th 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12670742)
Homebase used to be pretty good for DIY as well.

Homebase closed where we live

UkWinds5353 Apr 15th 2019 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12670695)

Wonderful news I hope his trip was fruitful.
The weather here has been wonderful however the wind has a bite to it at times . I am now making home made bread, looking to plant herbs and my mother taught me how to scarify the lawn today .. I have found that groceries are cheaper , Pierre Bistrot is a wonderful place for a morning coffee, and that you lose weight due to the long walks from the parking lots ( that are free ) .
Your friends are going to love being in the UK but like us they will miss many things about the US ( Home Depot being one )

It has gone surprisingly well for our friends. My buddy took a few videos of the property inside and out and sent them to his Mrs yesterday. He even video recorded areas in the neighborhood. Looks good looks really good! They were so patient and I'm happy for them. Finding the right property and staying in a certain budget don't always go together. Now they have to finalize the deal and complete the process. Fortunately they are not financing, it will be a all cash deal. That will simplify everything. That is how my wife and I will be doing our UK purchase in less than two years.

His wife wanted to go with him to check out the property but someone had to watch the kids. We offered to child and dog sit. But it helps that they both have already been in that neighborhood looking at other properties.
My wife and I have the benefit of seeing how the Brexit situation is going to impact the UK property market. Could work for or against us in less than two years.

It's good you are slotting in so well in Liverpool. And how great it is that the weather is starting to turn for the better just about everywhere. And it's a good thing because with all that walking very soon it will be time to whip out those bathing suits again. I'm sure living near the water is amazing. My wife and I had been dead set on moving to Manchester because her family lives there but just recently we are both onboard with living within a two hour drive of her folks. That way she can spend a lot of time with the family while we can keep our options open. That means we are nomads still looking for a UK home. But it's a good thing.

GeniB Apr 19th 2019 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12644864)

That house was built by a Dutch couple Sammy and was featured on TV ... We used to live along the road in Ainsdale ( dunes) ( a lot of which was built by my great Uncle many years ago Many a time we have visited royal Birkdale for the golf. seeing Justin Rpse makes his debut there as a very young man. . I always wanted to live in Southport as my Aunt lived there ( played in the Floral Hall orchestra) It broke my heart to leave for my OH's career..... A lovely town ... sadly a tad neglected now since it moved into Sefton.

Sammy2018 Apr 19th 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12673117)
That house was built by a Dutch couple Sammy and was featured on TV ... We used to live along the road in Ainsdale ( dunes) ( a lot of which was built by my great Uncle many years ago Many a time we have visited royal Birkdale for the golf. seeing Justin Rpse makes his debut there as a very young man. . I always wanted to live in Southport as my Aunt lived there ( played in the Floral Hall orchestra) It broke my heart to leave for my OH's career..... A lovely town ... sadly a tad neglected now since it moved into Sefton.

Southport has changed but I still love the areas around it. I took some photos from our window one early morning.
Hopefully the pictures attached

GeniB Apr 20th 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12673180)

Southport has changed but I still love the areas around it. I took some photos from our window one early morning.
Hopefully the pictures attached

umm No :ohmy:

Sammy2018 Apr 21st 2019 6:47 am

GeniB Apr 25th 2019 12:17 pm

Lovely Sammy was that sunset or sunrise ? Where are you? I used to love the misty mornings .I lived in the dunes in Ainsdale

Pulaski Apr 25th 2019 2:29 pm

No it isn't, B&Q is owned by Kingfisher PLC, and I can't find any record of there being any substantial shareholder of Kingfisher, neither Home Depot or anyone else.

FWIW Kingfisher was formed in 1982 to buy out Woolworths (UK) and at that time Woolworths already owned B&Q.

ETA These are the ten largest shareholders in Kingfisher PLC, all are fund managers.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...335127743a.jpg

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12670766)
Now I am scared 😱 service there has been bad and it’s only a quarter of the size of Home Depot.

That may be the case, but it isn't Home Depot's fault! :lol:

Sammy2018 Apr 26th 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12675607)
Lovely Sammy was that sunset or sunrise ? Where are you? I used to love the misty mornings .I lived in the dunes in Ainsdale

It was sunrise and in Scarisbrick. We took the dog for a walk in the dunes at Birkdale over the Easter weekend .. it was beautifully

EdandPaula May 4th 2019 7:59 pm

Roger Moore (007 fame) use to live in that round house a long time ago, apparently.

Pulaski May 5th 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by EdandPaula (Post 12679396)
Roger Moore ..... used to live in that round house a long time ago, apparently.

Which round house? :confused:

If you hit the "Quote" button to the bottom right of the post you are replying to, your post will include the post that you are responding to. :nod:

For additional brownie points you can delete from the quoted text, any parts that are not relevant to your reply or comment. :thumbsup: . E.g. I removed 007 from your post, above. :)

EdandPaula May 5th 2019 3:58 pm

Check out post 341. That round house.

Sammy2018 May 5th 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by EdandPaula (Post 12679643)

Wow .. it’s for sure an affluent area I will have to research it.

EdandPaula May 5th 2019 6:23 pm

It is a lovely area, Royal Birkdale gold course is across from that house. I grew up round the corner from that house. The immediate area is pricey now but more affordable stuff is not far away.

Sammy2018 May 5th 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by EdandPaula (Post 12679699)
It is a lovely area, Royal Birkdale gold course is across from that house. I grew up round the corner from that house. The immediate area is pricey now but more affordable stuff is not far away.

Lovely we moved back to the UK in February and live in Scarisbrick with mother. I do love this area ..

EdandPaula May 5th 2019 8:07 pm

My wife and I are returning for a 2 weeks visit to see my parents, will be going up to the West Coast of Scotland for a week, hopefully be moving next year to Scotland.

Pulaski May 5th 2019 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by EdandPaula (Post 12679643)

If you hit the "Quote" button to the bottom right of the post you are replying to, your post will include the post that you are responding to. Also, people are alerted that you have responded to their post. :nod:

EdandPaula May 5th 2019 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12679754)
If you hit the "Quote" button to the bottom right of the post you are replying to, your post will include the post that you are responding to. Also, people are alerted that you have responded to their post. :nod:

Thanks

Sammy2018 May 6th 2019 5:24 am

Originally Posted by EdandPaula (Post 12679724)
My wife and I are returning for a 2 weeks visit to see my parents, will be going up to the West Coast of Scotland for a week, hopefully be moving next year to Scotland.

Wonderful , if your family are still in the area of Birkdale they will be feeling in the increase in traffic as the Masters is at Hillside next week.
I am loving the UK and so is my hubby ( who is not from the UK) Even the weather has been gracious since our return .
Scotland is beautiful I am smitten by Cornwall spent many Summer Holidays in St Ives with the family.

UkWinds5353 May 22nd 2019 3:31 am

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that took the time to contribute information in this thread and help my friends find the idea place to call home. My friends have found their dream home in the Manchester area and they are over the moon. He went back over to the UK for one week to finalize their decision and all though both of them were on the same page, she popped over for a few days just to be sure about the neighborhood and house. They love the schools for their kids and their timing was perfect in finding this home. Inspections have gone smoothly. They are about to be UK home owners.

UkWinds5353 Jun 4th 2019 9:03 pm

My wife and two of our kids are discussing the possibility of a move to London if everyone can agree to the idea. London is being used as a incentive to encourage the middle kid to make the move to the UK. At this point it's only conversation and what if's. My darling wife know how to work a deal and will do nearly every sneaky trick to get all our children close to where we'll be living and not left behind in America. So for that reason she is trying to sweeten the idea of moving to the UK by highlighting major attractions.

I'm not excited about the idea of moving to London. I've done the whole big city thing when we were much younger in NYC and although it was amazing back then that was quite some time ago. So my question is this, what possible good reasons are there for living in the London area that we couldn't find in other areas of the UK but without the traffic and pollution issues?
Only thing that comes to mind is more culture. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not living in Manhattan and we can fly there for next to nothing for a short weekend.

But we are a majority rule family depending on the issue. And I might have to give in. Not sure if another huge city would make sense.

cyrian Jun 5th 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12693429)

I'm not excited about the idea of moving to London. I've done the whole big city thing when we were much younger in NYC and although it was amazing back then that was quite some time ago. So my question is this, what possible good reasons are there for living in the London area that we couldn't find in other areas of the UK but without the traffic and pollution issues?

Plenty of job opportunities and shorter commute.
However, that is offset by the VERY high house prices; the pollution and the traffic.
You also have the potential of very nice areas alongside very deprived areas.
In addition, you will soon have the ULEZ - The Ultra-Low Emission Zone which will ban most vehicles from central London.
Choose a nice market town with good transport links into London to get your next culture fix.
HTH