Best Places In UK To Live

Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:17 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Places In UK To Live

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Harrogate is in the North of England though....
Yes and is lovely.

But Ashford in Kent? Don't know it too well admittedly so anyone know of its virtues?
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Yes and is lovely.

But Ashford in Kent? Don't know it too well admittedly so anyone know of its virtues?
I'd love to poll every Londoner, who hasn't inherited money, and say, be honest, where did you get the money from to buy that family home? Please tell me. I'm in the same job as you!

And as someone said in Melbourne, not every one is a lawyer or a banker!

lol
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostpom
...and Guildford is in there.

Surely this cannot be right !
Nothing wrong with the place, if you don't mind students...easy to get to, plenty of jobs...it ain't all bad...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:28 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Nothing wrong with the place, if you don't mind students...easy to get to, plenty of jobs...it ain't all bad...

guildford high street is without doubt one of the most picturesque in england with the lovely angel hotel in the high street which is built over a thirteenth-century crypt..hmmm tons of history in guildford ....plus it's a great location for all the beautiful surrey villages...nowt wrong with guildford...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
guildford high street is without doubt one of the most picturesque in england with the lovely angel hotel in the high street which is built over a thirteenth-century crypt..hmmm tons of history in guildford ....plus it's a great location for all the beautiful surrey villages...nowt wrong with guildford...
Couldn't agree more. When walking around some soulless strip mall or big box store I crave Guildford High Street or Kingston town centre!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:02 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Okay we have had the 50 crap towns (supposedly) in UK thread. How about the best places you have lived in in the UK? I'm think quality of life, work opportunites, cost of living, friendliness of locals, things to see and do etc. Share some of your experiences and thoughts about what made/makes these palces great to live in.

Cardiff, and it's growing at a rapid rate aswell. Too many people are moving there and the city is trying to keep up with the housing requirements for all the newbies. I'd move back there tommorow if I could .
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I'd like to live in Dibley!!!!

Back to reality.....

Bromyard in Herefordshire.

Or actually, any one of the beautiful villages around that area. Surrounded by countryside, olde worlde pubs, P.Y.O fruit in season and Hereford city centre is one of the nicest places I've shopped.

That's where my heart is...the rest of me is over here.
My Mum and Dad live in one of those villages!! (So my heart is there too!)

Hereford is great now, but as a teenager it was dullsville! But saying that we live in Adelaide now ....

I really like the Poole area, but I have only ever been as a tourist, I've no idea what it is like to live there.

Nikki
xx
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
What's wrong with Guildford???

Obviously it's all personal opinion, but you could do much much worse than Guildford (which incidentally covers quite a large area beyond just the town centre) and could in fact be hard to do better in terms of facilities. Lovely town feeling, great schools, houses, countryside, shops, commuter possibilities & transport access etc. Had dinner there only last night. But agree wouldn't want to live in town itself personally (too big).

The GU postcodes also have the highest per capita millionaires than anywhere else in the UK.

I know many people aspiring to live in Guildford who can't afford to, since as usual there are the desirable places which cost a fortune (friends have new compact 5 bed house bought 3 years ago for £750k, you know with postage sized garden - but access to Downs ) and the affordable drab areas where I imagine social problems are more rife, schools are worse etc etc.
I think Guildford is great. I went there a number of times when I lived in the UK. If I went back, I would live there.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:45 am
Just Joined

shan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Best Places In UK To Live

Originally Posted by chance to be
im going back to newmarket in suffolk which is a busy market town with lots of character. all the suffolk villages from here to essex, if you go along the Claire road are beautiful. suffolk prices are cheaper generally than essex. a lot of people who like towns go to bury st edmunds as near cambridge but a whole lot cheaper. originally i was from colchester essex which Yankeemovingabroad would like, i think. lively town, used to be capital before london so historical, has a university so v multi cultural and good train service 50mins to london.
good luck
c xx
H i Chance to be,

Seems strange being all the way over here in Canada and reading how you are moving back to Newmarket, Suffolk. We moved to Ontario from Bury St Edmunds last December and we are goingthrough the feelings of homesickness at the moment. I know lots of people from Newmarket and it cheers me up to read about people from that area
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hello, just read your post, What made you leave Bury St Edmunds for Ontario? Only, we are looking to move up that way, from Ontario.

Regards,
Deana

Originally Posted by shan
H i Chance to be,

Seems strange being all the way over here in Canada and reading how you are moving back to Newmarket, Suffolk. We moved to Ontario from Bury St Edmunds last December and we are goingthrough the feelings of homesickness at the moment. I know lots of people from Newmarket and it cheers me up to read about people from that area
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:24 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Mummy]And Plymouth - we still own a house there too, but we will never be able to live there now because of the lack of work opportunities, but despite it's greyness, it will always be my home too. As much as anywhere feels like my home! [QUOTE]

I left Plymouth, well Saltash, in 1999. You are so right about the 'greyness'!!!! Even on a summers day, it's horribly dull!

do you know they've knocked down Drakes Circus!!! Damn, no more whirly carpark...

I don't think I'd ever live back in Plymouth... maybe Cornwall at a push.. but I'm heading off to Brissy in about 10 weeks... it's like cornwall, but with more sunshine and less emmits!

Good luck with your house hunting in Bristol!
Sonic
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:38 am
Just Joined

shan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Hello, just read your post, What made you leave Bury St Edmunds for Ontario? Only, we are looking to move up that way, from Ontario.

Regards,
Deana
Hello,
It's always been a bit of a dream for us to live in Canada, we had kids, bought a house and felt settled really in Bury St Edmunds but then my husband had the opportunity to come and work here and after much "shall we, shan't we?" we decided to go for it. But now we're here we are realising just what we have left behind!
Bury is a really pretty, historic little town. We miss it
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shan
H i Chance to be,

hi shan!
ive been back about 10 days now - getting used to it - but hard to go back to what you left behind. i think Bury SE is lovely too - lots of character. went to Matalan there yesterday as needed jumpers! OH was a fireman there and may stationed there again soon. tell me if you ever want me to post anything to someones house for you there as my daughter starts school there sept so will always be up and down A14. best wishes c
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:38 am
V&G
Just Joined

V&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Thats exactly our dilemma, two littlies here now so we want to head back (well i do, still working on my husband!)
How old are your "littlies"?

If v. little I can recommend Alderney, Channel Islands. Although not technically part of the UK (but part of GB) it is ideal for kids. Our son now 8 and daughter 7 were born here and they have had what we think is one of the best starts in life.

Very little crime, we leave our house door open & the keys in the ignition in the car! The kids come and go as they please, spend summers (& it was even warm enough this Easter) on the beach - swimming, rockclimbing etc. They have grown up with a sense of freedom & fun that I don't believe you'd find in many places in England these days.

There are drawbacks of course, expensive to get here (flights only), only 2,500 residents so people to tend to know each others business however they also look out for each other so it goes both ways.

We're only leaving because we feel that we need to show the kids a bit of the world now they've had such a sheltered start. Oh, and we want a bit more sunshine!
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:47 am
Just Joined

ComeOnYouBulls is an unknown quantity at this point

It has got to be East Yorkshire and there is nowhere more pleasant that the leafy suburbs of the largest village in the UK, Cottingham.
Vist the village website http://www.cottinghamuk.co.uk
Nearby, Beverley is beautiful too with its fantastic Westwood and historic buildings - a gem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.