Best Places In UK To Live

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Places In UK To Live

Originally Posted by isgraham
...Avoid London at all costs it's a hole.
bit harsh to say, because London's massive, plenty of nice areas...
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
bit harsh to say, because London's massive, plenty of nice areas...
If you have a million to spend on a house.....
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
If you have a million to spend on a house.....
Like I said, London is massive, can find loads of areas unless your thinking of the tourist trap of central London.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:16 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want genuinely vibrany cities other than London check out Brighton, Cardif and Nottingham.

Paul.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:17 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

BTW I think London is the greatest place I've ever been to but I could never afford to live there.

Paul.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Plymouth too, and was living/working in Cambridge before moving to the US. Absolutely enjoyed Cambridge as a young, free and single professional. Not sure I would enjoy it so much with a family. Also my car was stolen twice and my (rented) house broken into once during my 3 years in Cambridge (Chesterton).

But I still consider Plymouth home, and we still own a house there. We are heading back there for our annual vacation in a couple of weeks. Maybe one day we will move back permanently, but right now the job opportunities and salary in the Bay Area are too good for me to refuse.

Originally Posted by Mummy
I'm from Plymouth in Devon, have lived in Bradford, Manchester, Cambridge, Wolverhampton, Stafford and Derby. Only place I would go back to live in (apart from Plymouth which is hopeless because there are no jobs there for me or hubby) is Cambridge. Cambridge was nice because it was not too big, you can cycle everywhere, crime was relatively low, lots of common land, schools good etc. Downsides are that it is overrun by students and tourists, and sometimes in the summer months it is impossible to go into the centre for people. Also, now very very expensive.

We are thinking of going back to the Bristol/Bath area - never lived there, but it is a good location between our two families, and there are jobs for us both. Bath seems expensive, and don't know enough about suburbs of Bristol to comment - I know some areas are very rough.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Chesterton was where we lived! Hubby had his bike stolen - we didn't have a car to steal! Agreed, don't know what it would be like now with children.

And Plymouth - we still own a house there too, but we will never be able to live there now because of the lack of work opportunities, but despite it's greyness, it will always be my home too. As much as anywhere feels like my home!

Still looking for that ideal location commutable to Bristol, but affordable!

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I'm from Plymouth too, and was living/working in Cambridge before moving to the US. Absolutely enjoyed Cambridge as a young, free and single professional. Not sure I would enjoy it so much with a family. Also my car was stolen twice and my (rented) house broken into once during my 3 years in Cambridge (Chesterton).

But I still consider Plymouth home, and we still own a house there. We are heading back there for our annual vacation in a couple of weeks. Maybe one day we will move back permanently, but right now the job opportunities and salary in the Bay Area are too good for me to refuse.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dewdrop
We are thinking about moving back to the UK, so this is a great thread for us, only thing no one has mention, Hertfordshire, Essex or Suffolk, which is where we may be considering.

Anyone out there, know of a nice village or city, that is just a great as the places listed on this thread. Looking for good schools, nice community feel to it...reasonable housing, low crime.

Living in Ontario Canada at the moment.
Cheers,
Deana
Hi
Have lived in Norfolk and Suffolk most of my life and it is fantastic - unless you want easy access to airports, leisure centres, etc, as there is only one main road from Norwich to Ipswich (50 miles) and that has a ridiculous speed limit of 50 (max)/ 40/30/20 on it for half of that journey!!
Actually live on Norfolk Suffolk border, near Diss, and I think it's a great place to bring up kids.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:13 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
the cost of property there is simply insane - on a par with the nicer bits (if there is such a thing!) of London. You're looking at £500k for a detached house, £400k for a terraced and £230k for a flat!!
In the 'nicer bits of London' you'd be looking at £850k plus for a family 3-4 bedroom house, possibly semi-detached, certainly not detached or with any off-street parking. Or 500k for a very small terraced home. And I'm not sure how good the schools would be at these prices. London is unbelievably expensive, although a 'good area' is also open to huge debate admittedly.

Friends sold a 3 bedroom terrace in Hammersmith/Fulham (3rd bedroom was really a nursery, couldn't fit a single bed in it), no garden or parking, totally undesirable neighbourhood in my opinion (ie grates on all the windows!) 6 YEARS AGO for £400k. I suppose that small house is now worth about £650k, no good schools in sight, but lots of noisy traffic (close to flyover) and grafitti!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the rough

I'm from Middlesbrough, so will have to say my home town is the best place to live! (Providing you avoid the town centre) The town has some very nice suburbs, is only 20 mins drive to the beach and 30 mins from the North Yorkshire National Park and is half way between Edinbugh and London... Yorks only 40mins away... What more could you ask for !
Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
I'm from Middlesbrough, so will have to say my home town is the best place to live! (Providing you avoid the town centre) The town has some very nice suburbs, is only 20 mins drive to the beach and 30 mins from the North Yorkshire National Park and is half way between Edinbugh and London... Yorks only 40mins away... What more could you ask for !
You forgot to mention "THE SMOG"
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

My fiend in the UK send me this survey:

Quote:

Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer, top property hunters, have been travelling across the UK to come up with the most and least desirable places to live. Their research was based on five key categories; crime, education, environment, lifestyle and employment.
Their shortlist was finally revealed on Tuesday 9th August, and as you can see all but one are in the South of England giving evidence that the North-South divide is alive and well.

The top 10 most desirable places to live in the UK:

Epsom and Ewell
City of Westminster
Harrogate
Ashford, Kent
Stratford-on-Avon
East Hertfordshire
South Cambridgeshire
Mole Valley
Guildford
West Oxfordshire
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Jib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
My fiend in the UK send me this survey:

Quote:

Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer, top property hunters, have been travelling across the UK to come up with the most and least desirable places to live. Their research was based on five key categories; crime, education, environment, lifestyle and employment.
Their shortlist was finally revealed on Tuesday 9th August, and as you can see all but one are in the South of England giving evidence that the North-South divide is alive and well.

The top 10 most desirable places to live in the UK:

Epsom and Ewell
City of Westminster
Harrogate
Ashford, Kent
Stratford-on-Avon
East Hertfordshire
South Cambridgeshire
Mole Valley
Guildford
West Oxfordshire

Harrogate is in the North of England though....
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Harrogate is in the North of England though....
...and Guildford is in there.

Surely this cannot be right !
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:15 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostpom
...and Guildford is in there.

Surely this cannot be right !
What's wrong with Guildford???

Obviously it's all personal opinion, but you could do much much worse than Guildford (which incidentally covers quite a large area beyond just the town centre) and could in fact be hard to do better in terms of facilities. Lovely town feeling, great schools, houses, countryside, shops, commuter possibilities & transport access etc. Had dinner there only last night. But agree wouldn't want to live in town itself personally (too big).

The GU postcodes also have the highest per capita millionaires than anywhere else in the UK.

I know many people aspiring to live in Guildford who can't afford to, since as usual there are the desirable places which cost a fortune (friends have new compact 5 bed house bought 3 years ago for £750k, you know with postage sized garden - but access to Downs ) and the affordable drab areas where I imagine social problems are more rife, schools are worse etc etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.