Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The Best Laid Plans.........

The Best Laid Plans.........

Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:49 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Best Laid Plans.........

Well today I finally heard back from Head Office with regard to my leave without pay and, damn it, its been denied

Having watched my parents ping pong between Australia and the UK I really wanted to set myself up a bit of a safety net but I guess its not to be. I really don't want to be here here anymore so I have decided to take the decision it on the chin, put my big girl pants on and suck it up!

I've done my figures and if I carry on saving the way I have been and doing overtime I should have a nice bit of money tucked away to leave in March next year. There is medic course I really want to go on that starts mid April in Herefordshire which will help me get some private work offshore. An English friend of mine here who works in the mines is keen to do it too. We can split accommodation costs as well which will be handy as its 4 weeks long and hideously expensive!

I'm a firm believer in letting fate take its course and I know in my heart I want to be back in the UK with my family more than anything - its just a bit daunting going back and starting from scratch. I know a lot of people on here have been away from the UK far longer than I have and I love reading all your stories about returning, always cheers me up and keeps me going when I'm having a 'wobbly' day

Well thanks for taking the time to read this and good luck to anyone else who is in the same boat atm - my 'to do' list just keeps getting longer but I'm slowly working my way through it! Removals and storage all booked for Nov 26th and move out of this rental property mid Dec. I know the time will go so quickly now so I'm just going to try and relax and enjoy my last few months here in Australia

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:43 am.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Best Laid Plans.........

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Well today I finally heard back from Head Office with regard to my leave without pay and, damn it, its been denied

Having watched my parents ping pong between Australia and the UK I really wanted to set myself up a bit of a safety net but I guess its not to be. I really don't want to be here here anymore so I have decided to take the decision it on the chin, put my big girl pants on and suck it up!

I've done my figures and if I carry on saving the way I have been and doing overtime I should have a nice bit of money tucked away to leave in March next year. There is medic course I really want to go on that starts mid April in Herefordshire which will help me get some private work offshore. An English friend of mine here who works in the mines is keen to do it too. We can split accommodation costs as well which will be handy as its 4 weeks long and hideously expensive!

I'm a firm believer in letting fate take its course and I know in my heart I want to be back in the UK with my family more than anything - its just a bit daunting going back and starting from scratch. I know a lot of people on here have been away from the UK far longer than I have and I love reading all your stories about returning, always cheers me up and keeps me going when I'm having a 'wobbly' day

Well thanks for taking the time to read this and good luck to anyone else who is in the same boat atm - my 'to do' list just keep getting longer but I'm slowly working my way through it! Removals and storage all booked for Nov 26th and move out of this rental property mid Dec. I know the time will go so quickly now so I'm just going to try and relax and enjoy my last few months here in Australia
You may not realize it but you've already done a big part of the battle. The six months will go by before you know it. All the best
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:36 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
You may not realize it but you've already done a big part of the battle. The six months will go by before you know it. All the best
Thank you! You know I just feel utterly exhausted keep battling with my area director, in a way I guess its a relief even if I didn't get what I wanted!

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:44 am.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:58 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. The next few months will fly by and you'll be home before you know it.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:07 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by lf1
Good luck with your move. The next few months will fly by and you'll be home before you know it.
Thanks! I feel quite certain now the time is right. Last year I'd just come out of an awful relationship and I wondered if I was just running away. A lady on here gave some advice to someone which was "never leave a place unhappy" - I thought that was brilliant and SO true!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:19 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thanks! I feel quite certain now the time is right. Last year I'd just come out of an awful relationship and I wondered if I was just running away. A lady on here gave some advice to someone which was "never leave a place unhappy" - I thought that was brilliant and SO true!
That was good advice. Now you know you are moving for the right reasons. When I was contemplating my move (now back in Scotland) I kept asking myself if there was some underlying reason that was prompting my feelings of wanting to move back. I couldn't find one.

I know I could have continued on with my life in Canada and been relatively happy, but for me I believe there could be more to my life than a nice existence in Canada and the only way to find out was to move. It is still early days, but so far I am happy to be back and I am dealing with my feelings as they pop up. Just as I did when I emigrated all those years ago.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:52 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by lf1
That was good advice. Now you know you are moving for the right reasons. When I was contemplating my move (now back in Scotland) I kept asking myself if there was some underlying reason that was prompting my feelings of wanting to move back. I couldn't find one.

I know I could have continued on with my life in Canada and been relatively happy, but for me I believe there could be more to my life than a nice existence in Canada and the only way to find out was to move. It is still early days, but so far I am happy to be back and I am dealing with my feelings as they pop up. Just as I did when I emigrated all those years ago.
That's so good to hear! Glad your move back worked out for you and you are happy. I get butterflies just thinking about moving back - can't wait!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:17 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Things often have a funny way of working out for the best. We had been trying to arrange a move home for several years, and each time the plans fell through for one reason or another. I got stressed and disappointed so many times. This year semed different, so we decided to have one last try, and is amazing how things have fallen into place. It really does feel as if it was the right time for us to come home, for whatever reason, and that the time simply wasn't right on our previous attempts. Life here is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but we are home and things are working out very well, in ways they could not have done had we returned any sooner. It sounds as if you have lots of good plans in place and you will be amazed how quickly the time goes. Good luck with your move and keep us posted!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:08 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Pombat
Things often have a funny way of working out for the best. We had been trying to arrange a move home for several years, and each time the plans fell through for one reason or another. I got stressed and disappointed so many times. This year semed different, so we decided to have one last try, and is amazing how things have fallen into place. It really does feel as if it was the right time for us to come home, for whatever reason, and that the time simply wasn't right on our previous attempts. Life here is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but we are home and things are working out very well, in ways they could not have done had we returned any sooner. It sounds as if you have lots of good plans in place and you will be amazed how quickly the time goes. Good luck with your move and keep us posted!
Thanks Pombat, I never really thought about it like that but you are right - like relationships and roast dinners its all about timing lol!

I have been so indecisive over the past year re moving home and the best way to do it. I was hoping that people who were reading my posts on BE (and giving me some excellent advice btw!) didn't think I was being a bit 'flaky' lol! I had a horrible boss, who left in May, but my new boss is just awesome and we have become firm friends. This kinda made me think I COULD carry on here but, despite his support and kindness, I'm still utterly miserable out here and I want to leave.

From reading other people's posts I have picked up that its best to come home with as much money as possible behind you so that is why I have decided to stick it out for another 6 months. I think I should be ok for getting work once I'm back but I have a little dream atm of buying a camper van so I can go off and explore the UK and Europe a bit more Hence the saving, as they are quite expensive, I might be able to afford one hopefully but we shall see!

As for the timing issue again my Mum e-mailed me yesterday to let me know that her and Dad will be off to France and Italy in their van in June/July so I can have the house to myself. I think this will be a good thing as I'm sure it will take a bit of getting used to for them having me back home again to live for the first time in 30 years - poor parents!

Had a possible bit of good news yesterday as well. Skyped my sister and she is thinking about flying over here in Nov to join me on my month off if she can get the time off work and not upset her hubby too much! If she does come she is going to meet me in Sydney after my cruise for a few days then come to the Gold Coast with me then back up to FNQ. She said she will stay a few weeks, help me to pack up, move and clean the house. I'm trying not to get too excited in case she can't come but if she does it would be amazing to have her here, she is my best friend and I love her dearly. We have had so many great trips together so

So happy to hear things are working out for you back home, its always good to hear of others experiences warts and all! Thanks for your good wishes I will definitely keep you posted!

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 23rd 2012 at 12:03 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi good to hear you so upbeat and that your plans are finally going to take shape. That was me who gave that advice, my dear old dad gave it to me 20 years ago when I was in a similar position. When I finally moved (after waiting) I actually got a job transfer and they paid for the move. So as you say and others, it is all about timing. I try and push the boat out before the right time and it just bobs back I have to wait at least 2 years for hubby to retire. I think you have a wonderful plan and such good news about your sister, hope it works out I have a younger sister and she and I are also so close and I miss her too.

Moving back with folks is kind of fun espcially if it is your childhood home. It just feels like a safety net and is a great way to save and find your feet. A great post!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:29 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Hi good to hear you so upbeat and that your plans are finally going to take shape. That was me who gave that advice, my dear old dad gave it to me 20 years ago when I was in a similar position. When I finally moved (after waiting) I actually got a job transfer and they paid for the move. So as you say and others, it is all about timing. I try and push the boat out before the right time and it just bobs back I have to wait at least 2 years for hubby to retire. I think you have a wonderful plan and such good news about your sister, hope it works out I have a younger sister and she and I are also so close and I miss her too.

Moving back with folks is kind of fun espcially if it is your childhood home. It just feels like a safety net and is a great way to save and find your feet. A great post!
Yes it was you who said that your Dad gave you that advice - I'd never heard that before but I just thought wow, that's SO true! Thanks for that post btw, it really resonated with me and my situation!

I am feeling more upbeat you know? I think that one of the worst things about being away and wanting to come home is feeling 'trapped' - either by partners, kids, house not selling, etc etc. I was stuck really until I got my citizenship a few months ago. I have my plans in place but I know that after the 12th Dec I can just up and leave at anytime if I choose so I think that will make the last 3 months easier to bear!

Yes it is my childhood home sort of, moved there since I was 14. I'm not really a gardener but I'm going to try and look after the veggies, keep the pond clean, feed the fish and not break anything whilst the parents are off gallivanting! Will really enjoy some nice afternoons with a glass of wine and a good book curled up in the summerhouse and am really looking forward to cycling around the country lanes on my push bike too without sweating like mad and feeling nauseous like I do here. Any outdoor activity here is a no no after 0700 hrs due to the awful humidity! My parents live in a nice little village, all cosy tea rooms and ye olde pubs so it is a lovely part of the UK to return to IMHO I texted my Mum, after reading her e-mail, and said they had my 'permission' to go if she left me two months worth of frozen dinners in the freezer. She texted back straight away 'of course' then her next text said 'oh look, a pig just flew past the window!' Cheeky old woman!!!

Yes, fingers crossed my sister can come in Nov, she has her hubby, step daughter and job to consider so we are playing it by ear atm but it would make my year just to have her here for a month.

Well not long for you either by the looks of things, 2 years will go so quickly and hopefully you will get to have some nice holidays and visits with your sister in the meantime to keep you going! Thanks for your kind reply

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 23rd 2012 at 2:02 am.