Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

Originally Posted by Ciderman
There definitely seem to be jobs out there but obviously where you live and your skills determine how many jobs there are for you. I definitely found the agency thing to be a real pain myself as some are really bad whilst others are great and it's only once you've dealt with them a while that you find out which is which.

One thing to do some research on is the format of your CV as it can make the difference between getting an interview or not. I found that mine was too North American and once I reformatted it to reflect the UK generic layout it seemed to get more attention. There's a lot of CV writing companies out there that charge anywhere from £80 to £250 pounds. I got a free review from FullerCV but didn't go through with paying them to rewrite mine however I did find a free e-book on their web site www.fullercv.com that had some useful tips and information plus some generic CV templates.

Fingers crossed with the job hunting; I spent 2 to 3 hours a day on the hunt and the two offers I got came within a few days of each other after just over a month of looking.
Thanks for useful CV link. My hubby in in IT and is Canadian so he'll be able to utilise this site.

Lots of luck with the jobs. Great news.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ciderman, will keep you posted
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:46 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Thanks for useful CV link. My hubby in in IT and is Canadian so he'll be able to utilise this site.

Lots of luck with the jobs. Great news.
Does anyone know a good Canadian cv/bio place? Not for me, obviously.

Bev
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:33 am
Just Joined

gilsland is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Ciderman,I'm sure you will look back wistfully
at your time in Maple Ridge, and wonder where the nearest
White Spot is.
Gilsland
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Time for an update I thought so here's the news after six weeks.

Settled in to the rental place, the new sofa should arrive soon. We're almost back into the swing of things day to day. I've had a few interviews now so am waiting for that eulsive job offer to arrive.

Once that's in place the hunt for our own place starts in earnest. We've been visiting a few towns and villages near by and at the moment Cirencester and Cheltenham are quite high on the list.

Weather's certainly been interesting but it's varied which is great. Hopefully the next update will be good news on the job front.

TTFN
Great to hear you have a rental...first tick in the box...next before you know it the job box will be ticked....and then Spring will be on it's way...can we swop with you.....got all that to come...gulp......
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

Originally Posted by manamama
Wow ... two job offers !! C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

So there ARE jobs really and truly??
Hi there my sons partner who is 32 just returned to the UK on a spouse visa (he married a British girl in NZ)
He was worried a week ago as he was flying back to a pregnant partner and neither had jobs, he has no formal qualifications but has worked as a benchtop laminator for quite a few years in NZ when he was in the UK 3yrs ago he got a job on a deep sea fishing boat. They got a flat, he walked into a place that builds superyachts enquired about a job and they took him on...So maybe as well as applying for jobs by sending in CVs etc a bit of door knocking does sometimes work as well....

Good luck everyone looking for work.....
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cally49
Hi there my sons partner who is 32 just returned to the UK on a spouse visa (he married a British girl in NZ)
He was worried a week ago as he was flying back to a pregnant partner and neither had jobs, he has no formal qualifications but has worked as a benchtop laminator for quite a few years in NZ when he was in the UK 3yrs ago he got a job on a deep sea fishing boat. They got a flat, he walked into a place that builds superyachts enquired about a job and they took him on...So maybe as well as applying for jobs by sending in CVs etc a bit of door knocking does sometimes work as well....

Good luck everyone looking for work.....
Thats great news...sometimes word of mouth and a bit of leg work does wonders......hope all goes well and good luck for the future grandchild.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Now been back 3 weeks, OH has a job I have 2 interviews lined up and waiting to hear about one last Friday, Now moved into a lovely rental

However the removals was a removal from hell, Half of our stuff packe dup last November is still in NZ they forgot to put it in the container! Not boxes either but our sofa, dinning table and 4 of the 6 chairs. All the boxes we had packed which they were happy about they repacked so nothing that was alike was in the same box, the removal company has asked us to empty them all to ascertain whats missing! 80 boxes and 3 days later we are finally straight but exhausted and sitting on the stone floor but itsunder floor heating so not too bad!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by janeyk
Now been back 3 weeks, OH has a job I have 2 interviews lined up and waiting to hear about one last Friday, Now moved into a lovely rental

However the removals was a removal from hell, Half of our stuff packe dup last November is still in NZ they forgot to put it in the container! Not boxes either but our sofa, dinning table and 4 of the 6 chairs. All the boxes we had packed which they were happy about they repacked so nothing that was alike was in the same box, the removal company has asked us to empty them all to ascertain whats missing! 80 boxes and 3 days later we are finally straight but exhausted and sitting on the stone floor but itsunder floor heating so not too bad!
Good news about the work front......just chill for now if you can and leave whatever you don't need to use for a while in the boxes......and just upack the rest gradually.....I have done that before and if something is still in a box 6 months later...lol..I know I don't need it and either I sell it or give it away.....good luck with everything....Cornwall you lucky thing you.....
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Brits1 The stone floor is a little uncomfortable watching the box but its good to be back! Sitting here at my dest in a centrallty heated 300 yr old cottage with double glazing and radio 2 what more could you want!

Oh coffee has just been poured Bliss!!!! now to start the job hunt!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:41 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Brits1 The stone floor is a little uncomfortable watching the box but its good to be back! Sitting here at my dest in a centrallty heated 300 yr old cottage with double glazing and radio 2 what more could you want!

Doesn't that sound lovely!? Have a wonderful time settling back in and lots of luck. It's exciting to know that you are getting interviews so there are jobs out there eh despite what some doom and gloomers say!?

Best wishes and happy days.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:50 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

You sound nice and cozy...

I remember you being an accountant...just wondering how you are find jobs in that area? What are the best agencies ? How are you going about your job hunt ? Just wondering...

if you get chance) BUENA SUERTE

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:34 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Janeyk
The stone floor is a little uncomfortable watching the box but its good to be back! Sitting here at my dest in a centrallty heated 300 yr old cottage with double glazing and radio 2 what more could you want!

Good luck with the job hunt.

Keep us posted as to how it is all going. We are still in the 'prepping the house' for sale thing - but fingers cross (and toes etc) we will be back in Scotland for the start of the kids UK school year.
Thats my plan anyhow so my theory is if I stick to it and believe it - it will happen

Good to hear reports of how it is in the move back.
Has seemed to me that the decision to go home has been soooo much harder than that to move to NZ. That was an adventure.
This just seems right. Far harder, but right.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Now you are being cruel..lol...I am sat under the aircon in our study (and it's still hot,hot,hot)...in a 3 year old house that will certainly not age well and is very bland and will definately not last 300 years..everything rattles in the wind already...lol....hopefully soon I will be "threading" a similar reply very soon.....
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ble
Good luck with the job hunt.

Keep us posted as to how it is all going. We are still in the 'prepping the house' for sale thing - but fingers cross (and toes etc) we will be back in Scotland for the start of the kids UK school year.
Thats my plan anyhow so my theory is if I stick to it and believe it - it will happen

Good to hear reports of how it is in the move back.
Has seemed to me that the decision to go home has been soooo much harder than that to move to NZ. That was an adventure.
This just seems right. Far harder, but right.
I certainly think once that decision is made then that is the hardest part....coming out to Aus...we did not know a sole, never been to Aus did not have work to arrive to or even anywhere properly lined up to rent...all that with two youngsters in toe and although we were not excitied about coming to Perth (we had been having 2nd thoughts about migrating)it seemed easier to do than planning on going home....but if you know yourselves that you are doing the correct thing...then stick with the plan and try and not let others interfere as this can be very off putting....good look and hope all goes well....we are just getting quotes for removals and selling furniture....we are returning in April....it comes around sooner than you think....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.