Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:02 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BC to Wiltshire...6 week update.

Originally Posted by brits1
Guess what I sold our beloved (well was to me) chesterfield...to a really lovely older chap who has wanted an Engish made leather chesterfield for years and that he wife was thrilled with finally having one...I should be happy...but I cried when it had gone....so many memories...I brought it over from the U.K as I loved it....it has to go though but I do wish we had sold the smaller leather suite we bought here....no emotional ties to that...in fact I might sell that as well....I have "life boxes" for our boys...it gets bigger every year...lol...they groan as they are in the bottom of their warddrobes and taking up way to much room...one day they might thank me but for me it's everything thats special as long as I have them then I'll be okay....sentimental old dear that I am....lol...
At least it's gone to a good home and someone who'll appreciate it! Good luck on the rest of the stuff!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:50 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Orignally posted by brits1
The scenery in New Zealand looks lovely and I have only seen it in movies....my sister lived on and island with her Oh and family...I use to drool over her being there lol...I use to say "your so lucky" and she use to say to me "you have to live here to realise it's not all it appears on postcards"...very wise words and at times I wished we had taken that into consideration as I think our "we'd like to live somewhere like that" started when my sister first moved to have this ideal lifestyle, those were my thoughts not hers on the lifestyle!!! (she has since moved back to the U.K and is as happy "as Larry" to be back home....)well you live and learn...I think we all choose somewhere that looks nice to live....but nice is not always what it appears....
I couldn't ahve said it better myself. Lifestyle is dependant on what you rate as a good one. And scenery can be found anywhere. I could point you to one of the most polluted rivers in NZ and it is disgusting. But what is the point - there are rivers like that everywhere.

And I don't think that you can have a realistic view of how you will find it until you have experienced it.

I have done both the UK and NZ as an independent adult - and I know which I prefer.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ble
I couldn't ahve said it better myself. Lifestyle is dependant on what you rate as a good one. And scenery can be found anywhere. I could point you to one of the most polluted rivers in NZ and it is disgusting. But what is the point - there are rivers like that everywhere.

And I don't think that you can have a realistic view of how you will find it until you have experienced it.

I have done both the UK and NZ as an independent adult - and I know which I prefer.
I was reading the West Aus today (I don't normally read the paper but was having a coffee in MacD's) anyway the article I was reading was about an Aussie lady who went to the USA at 21 (quite a few moons ago)on a sports scholarship, she was a swimmer and competited in a swimming race around Manhattan...it was interesting to read but then the propaganda of the West Aus paper kicked in and they asked...."the Hudson is a filthy river, what was it like to swim in"..they failed to mention that the Swan River (in which this lady use to swim and train as a young girl)is certainly not the cleanest or healthiest River to swim in...I would not even dip my pinkies in there...we certainly know about dirty rivers in the U.K etc but they hardly get a mention here in Aus.ps my sister says moving away helped her appreciate just how much she had taken for granted in the U.K and just how much more she wanted to see and do in the U.K
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:53 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

originally posted by Brits1
ps my sister says moving away helped her appreciate just how much she had taken for granted in the U.K and just how much more she wanted to see and do in the U.K

That sums it up completely for me.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ble

That sums it up completely for me.
Couldn't have said it any better.
LOL it's become a bit of a "mantra" for me in the deepest darkest hours when I cannot sleep....I am also suprised as my sister was not what I'd recall as being "wise" lol...but she adds that to another of her new found gifts...lol
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Another update on progress. Made an offer on a house last week that was accepted. It's in Stratford-Upon-Avon so nice place, lots of culture, things to do and quite a few tourists (cheers Bill!). It's sort of a Plan B really. Luckily my new job is home-based plus we're a bit closer to friends and family.

Hopefully looking to complete early May, fingers crossed.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:36 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Another update on progress. Made an offer on a house last week that was accepted. It's in Stratford-Upon-Avon so nice place, lots of culture, things to do and quite a few tourists (cheers Bill!). It's sort of a Plan B really. Luckily my new job is home-based plus we're a bit closer to friends and family.

Fantastic news. We're looking at Stratford, Warwick or Rugby so keep us posted about news from that neck of the woods of you can.

So glad things are working out well for you.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one!! At the other end of the Cotswolds to me. I was just driving through Stratford on Sunday afternoon, the sun shining, loads of tourists too. fantastic place!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Well done and a pat on the back for "keeping at it".....Plan B sounds great to me...and fingers crossed for May.....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we might not end up far from you Plan B is also in action and the cotswolds are an area I am going to look for a role I love Stratford in fact I have managed to trace my paternal family back to their before they moved to Brum! Stow on the Wold is also fantastic!

Last edited by janeyk; Mar 25th 2010 at 9:00 am.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:24 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Very very nice..not a bad Plan B . Stratford is sooo lovely. Lucky you.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilsland
To Ble,
I grew up in the UK and moved to Canada as an adult and lived there
for more than 30 years,retired and move back to the UK,and love it.
However I've travelled to NZ,and I'd have to say it's the most beautiful
place I have ever been to,in its lifestyle it reminded me of the UK I
grew up in. The differences between Canada and NZ were striking,
and for my money the quality of life in NZ was far superior to that
of Canada.I obviously do not know anything about your reasons to move,
but I wonder if you should take a second look at NZ.
It's one thing to holiday there, another to live there. Trust us

Canada (and the UK) have better standards of living than NZ imo. Anyway, like Ble said, expensive, lower standards etc. etc. and I do love NZ, but it is NOT paradise.