Back after 6 weeks in UK

Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back after 6 weeks in UK

Couple of peeps asked for update so might as well make it a thread.

Currently finding australia very hot OMG its so uncomfortable after 6 weeks of cool climes. First 3 weeks were mild but cool days 10 - 12, then the infamous snow the UK is having, caused us one delay on a train, no other probs with it, just totally enjoyed it!! we had 12 days of snow in various areas, including a white xmas, snow never fell that day but there was a mass of it on trees and the ground, stunning xmas.

We spent time in York, Hastings, Manchester, Brighton, London and Harpenden, if anyone wonders where I am wafflin on about.

Crime, well never got the stab proof vest out, one area had some chavs, one lot were walking ferrets on leads with bling collars. Didnt experience any crime, didnt even see any, however as a family we were not hanging round outside nightclubs at 3 am, did go to a city centre late night, and were warned about loads of teens, well they were the same as aussie teens, skateboards and push bikes and hanging round mcdonalds.

Shops, sorry but UK wins hands down, CHEAP, even after 6 weeks we were still boggle eyed at the prices. Clothes, electronics, food, much cheaper, food stores amazing, so much competition keeps the prices down. eg, using identical items, burgen bread uk 1.20 aus 4.80 so double in oz, shampoo, head and shoulders, 1.00 uk, 5.99 in oz thats triple in oz, aussie OH was not amused to find bananas, mangos, kiwi fruit and vegemite all cheaper in UK, the fruit items are local to austraila but cheaper in Uk. Australia - sorry one big rip off.

Housing, some crazy prices, harpenden and some absolute bargains, bro bought close to city centre, similar thing in comparable melbourne would cost a lot more, other brother got a amazing deal, on top end property but, it fell through, the messy UK system of buying houses still bamboozles me.

Petrol, hired a VW 5 door hatch mid size thingo, sorry not into cars anyway partner worked out the petrol which is 1.08 UK V 1.32 OZ and said the better fuel economy and more modern cars meant we were no worse off despite higher cost of fuel.

Family, ohhh, pain, the emotions, why we do this moving thing mother very bitter still about loss of the kids, they are teens now, she was right she didnt see them grow up The goodbyes and one to someone we wont ever see again, the pain, cant stand it very emotional time really. Family spats rage on, as do family events all of which we miss, nope if you have close family the price to pay is high.

Jobs, didnt look but all relatives all well employed, and doing well, nobody seems broke, quite the opposite, all doing well. Everone seems to be taking advantage of the cheap prices and mortages etc that UK enjoys.

Flights, this peed me off, qantas in UK advertising its fares to OZ way cheaper than aussies get them, typical, aussies ripped off again. Kids blown away by eurostar, and the flights advertised like 49 to morocco, thats like our 99 to sydney, no contest really, give me the camel

The mental stimulation of the UK, say you go in a bookshop, thousands of titles oz never sees the likes of, the sunday paper, choice of 10 V the sunday mail food, choice of at least 8 supermarkets, think it was 10 actually, holidays, hundreds of exciting choices, and so on. The whole brain, body, experience is more colourful, less bland, more exciting, more alive, you just feel more alive, its hard to explain, the buzz, the humour, kids were in stitches with some of the late night telly, sorry just loved the whole buzz of it all, maybe you have to have lived the bbq lifestyle to appreciate it. I miss it so bloody much.

Moaning, media, it wasnt too bad actually, yes they are very realistic that the economy is grim, however is that worse than keeping everone in OZ happy with plasma TV bonus etc then hitting them with reality after the election

Great holiday, but emotional rollercoaster, felt like jumping off the plane when it took off, for me australia will always be too far away
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Back after 6 weeks in UK

hello there really enjoyed reading your post.I actually got goosebumps reading it I am moving back end of Jan so your update was just what I needed to read I have always known Uk was more alive but after living here you forget how alive.z
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light

I really want to go home now!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a good trip.

What are the plans now?

We did one week in December and that was enough to confuse us for the next few months
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:05 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

A good post-trip update. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Made for an interesting, enjoyable read.
I'm hating the heat: 41c atm and meant to hit 43c
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

yep...The Uk has more to offer than most people who live there think.
Unless you lived somewhere else for some time, then you will truely know. what you left behind...
Its has it problems i agree....but it's still will always be my home.

jad n rich Good post
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Sounds like you had a good trip.

What are the plans now?

We did one week in December and that was enough to confuse us for the next few months

Middle son is in grade 11, we are currently shackled by education concerns. He should finish school in nov 2011, meanwhile we have submitted a business visa application for Canada, that takes 3 years, so timing is right, if we get the visa its Canada, if we dont its UK. North america or europe for us offer far more diversity/opportunity and by comparisom to australia, a short flight !! between the two.

I know what you mean by confusion though, after the trip even my son is tempted to risk the education in to go back NOW But as a parent you cant let that happen can you. Pretty difficult time really, not one of us wants to be in OZ any longer but the price for leaving now is stuff up kids schooling. A problem all those in limbo with teens know too well
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
A good post-trip update. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Made for an interesting, enjoyable read.
I'm hating the heat: 41c atm and meant to hit 43c
We only have 32ish and humidity like glue, my lungs fell like I am drowning after the crisp UK winter weather.

Hot climates are very over rated IMO.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Glad you had a good time. I am VERY, VERY jealous.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Great update.

Makes me wonder if the UK was as hot as OZ, would people still emigrate
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

Yes if they want to retire.

Glad you had a great time on your hols Jad. I cant believe you are still there. i have been home for over a year now and love it. Hubby has just called to say he has slid off the road in a 4wd pick up and ripped the bumper off the bloomin snow

But I would still rather be over here than bored bored and more bored over there.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by peanut21
Yes if they want to retire.

Glad you had a great time on your hols Jad. I cant believe you are still there. i have been home for over a year now and love it. Hubby has just called to say he has slid off the road in a 4wd pick up and ripped the bumper off the bloomin snow

But I would still rather be over here than bored bored and more bored over there.
OZ the place for retirees lol.

OH was stuck this morning in the snow. All the schools are open though in my area so we took the kids to school. Took us an hour just to get up the street and back with the traffic. It's gonna be all fun and games today
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the update - I felt rather jealous reading it, but it sounds like you had a great time.

I've been receiving photos from family in the UK showing me just how much snow they have had and it would have been lovely to have experienced it for real rather than just viewing JPG files.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
but the price for leaving now is stuff up kids schooling. A problem all those in limbo with teens know too well
I know the feeling, we have been in limbo for a while because we have not wanted to mess up my oldest's education. My oldest starts year 12 at the end of this month, so at the end of November 2010 we will have a small window before education for our middle child is critical. So it will be decision time - the UK or Sydney (as my OH does a lot of business there and we visit frequently) or a further 2 years here until our middle child has finished school at the end of 2012!

I don't know how much longer I can stand the indecision!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
I really want to go home now!
Me too...!!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

@jad n rich

Just out of interest..what made you wanting to leave the UK and go to OZ in the first place. What did you hope to find in your new country and did you find it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.