Back after 6 weeks in UK

Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:02 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Back after 6 weeks in UK

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We only have 32ish and humidity like glue, my lungs fell like I am drowning after the crisp UK winter weather.

Hot climates are very over rated IMO.
It does feel like you can actually breath cool fresh air when you step of the plane from Oz, I am not missing the heat on tiny bit.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post Jad & Rich!Morocco?£49?We went last February(last minute)for............£5 each return!Try doing that from Oz?????
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:25 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bailey1
Me too...!!!
Me three.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
@jad n rich

Just out of interest..what made you wanting to leave the UK and go to OZ in the first place. What did you hope to find in your new country and did you find it?

Relationship with an aussie, its never somewhere I would have picked

When we decided to come over, he had lived in UK so I figured it was my turn in the relationship to live in his bit of the world, despite that gut feeling was noooo. Family, climate and distance basically. However aussies do a good line in spin, sorry but they do, even ones you know, the aussie upbringing is to big it up and bullshite

I actually liked it for the first 2 years, australia was very cheap back then, exhcange rate was great and houses were cheap, I was your typical big 'ouse, swimming pool, big 4WD on the drive pom

The worm turned when we went back for a trip to UK, saw exactly what I was missing to have the big items, plus the climate was never a draw for me, and then we had a summers from hell

I would have gone back then, but its not just me its me, him, 3 kids with an age range spaced out over 12 years, a business, and his family here, his mother had cancer over 6 years he didnt want to go then. It dragged on till the kids were teens and the education problems start....

But now we finally have a date, a window in the education to go and Ive told him if he dont wanna go then, he can stay
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:14 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

When we decided to come over, he had lived in UK so I figured it was my turn in the relationship to live in his bit of the world, despite that gut feeling was noooo. Family, climate and distance basically. However aussies do a good line in spin, sorry but they do, even ones you know, the aussie upbringing is to big it up and bullshite

I actually liked it for the first 2 years, australia was very cheap back then, exhcange rate was great and houses were cheap, I was your typical big 'ouse, swimming pool, big 4WD on the drive pom

The worm turned when we went back for a trip to UK, saw exactly what I was missing to have the big items, plus the climate was never a draw for me, and then we had a summers from hell

I would have gone back then, but its not just me its me, him, 3 kids with an age range spaced out over 12 years, a business, and his family here, his mother had cancer over 6 years he didnt want to go then. It dragged on till the kids were teens and the education problems start....

But now we finally have a date, a window in the education to go and Ive told him if he dont wanna go then, he can stay
Good for you! I have a friend in a similar boat here in Canada. I can't imagine how complex it gets when youhave older kids. Yikes. Good luck on your move. I've been looking at easyjet to Morroco as a result of your posting and feel totally inspired! It's amazingly cheap.....
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Sounds drastic, but that's what i ended up doing. Although my OH isn't an Aussie, all his family lived in Perth so he was quite happy to stay there. All my family were in UK and me and kids were miserable in OZ, so i told him to shove OZ up his hole and i moved back to UK with the kids.
6 days later he was on a plane to UK to be with us
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:03 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Very similar indeed to my situation.

I would have never chosen to live in Australia but married an Aussie and Aussies tend to want to go home to Australia sooner or later - usually sooner. They are brought up to LOVE their country quite unquestioningly and you do tend to find that MOST Aussies have the philosophy that theirs is the best country in the world deep down, even if they are not a flag-waving Aussie banging on about it all the time - though there are plenty of those too!

O/H made it quite clear they wanted to go and I hadn't really got a lot of choice. I sort of knew it wasnt going to be right for me but you can't argue with ''just give it a go'' etc etc.

Again, the turning point for me was the first visit back to the UK after 2 years. I realised I had spent 2 years TRYING to feel at home without ever actually feeling it at all. Things have gotten steadily worse for me since then.

I hope to find a way to go back soon - rather than later. Have had about as much of it as I can take now.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more with these posts. When I told my friends of my intentions to come back here for a year to see how I felt, one Aussie friend (well Aussie born, German/Ukrainian parents) told me I would be back in a few months as Australia is the greatest country in the world. I said to her "In your opinion" she will be shocked when I go back in March to sort out my stuff to tell her I am not returning to the "greatest country in the world"

I have suppressed my Englishness for far too long, because if you do say anything about England over there, you are just labelled as another whingeing Pom and God help you if England beat the Aussies at any sport - Australia was just not in my heart or soul like the good old UK is for all it's faults .

Barb
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:15 am
Just Joined

here we come is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Back after 6 weeks in UK

Couple of peeps asked for update so might as well make it a thread.

Currently finding australia very hot OMG its so uncomfortable after 6 weeks of cool climes. First 3 weeks were mild but cool days 10 - 12, then the infamous snow the UK is having, caused us one delay on a train, no other probs with it, just totally enjoyed it!! we had 12 days of snow in various areas, including a white xmas, snow never fell that day but there was a mass of it on trees and the ground, stunning xmas.

We spent time in York, Hastings, Manchester, Brighton, London and Harpenden, if anyone wonders where I am wafflin on about.

Crime, well never got the stab proof vest out, one area had some chavs, one lot were walking ferrets on leads with bling collars. Didnt experience any crime, didnt even see any, however as a family we were not hanging round outside nightclubs at 3 am, did go to a city centre late night, and were warned about loads of teens, well they were the same as aussie teens, skateboards and push bikes and hanging round mcdonalds.

Shops, sorry but UK wins hands down, CHEAP, even after 6 weeks we were still boggle eyed at the prices. Clothes, electronics, food, much cheaper, food stores amazing, so much competition keeps the prices down. eg, using identical items, burgen bread uk 1.20 aus 4.80 so double in oz, shampoo, head and shoulders, 1.00 uk, 5.99 in oz thats triple in oz, aussie OH was not amused to find bananas, mangos, kiwi fruit and vegemite all cheaper in UK, the fruit items are local to austraila but cheaper in Uk. Australia - sorry one big rip off.

Housing, some crazy prices, harpenden and some absolute bargains, bro bought close to city centre, similar thing in comparable melbourne would cost a lot more, other brother got a amazing deal, on top end property but, it fell through, the messy UK system of buying houses still bamboozles me.

Petrol, hired a VW 5 door hatch mid size thingo, sorry not into cars anyway partner worked out the petrol which is 1.08 UK V 1.32 OZ and said the better fuel economy and more modern cars meant we were no worse off despite higher cost of fuel.

Family, ohhh, pain, the emotions, why we do this moving thing mother very bitter still about loss of the kids, they are teens now, she was right she didnt see them grow up The goodbyes and one to someone we wont ever see again, the pain, cant stand it very emotional time really. Family spats rage on, as do family events all of which we miss, nope if you have close family the price to pay is high.

Jobs, didnt look but all relatives all well employed, and doing well, nobody seems broke, quite the opposite, all doing well. Everone seems to be taking advantage of the cheap prices and mortages etc that UK enjoys.

Flights, this peed me off, qantas in UK advertising its fares to OZ way cheaper than aussies get them, typical, aussies ripped off again. Kids blown away by eurostar, and the flights advertised like 49 to morocco, thats like our 99 to sydney, no contest really, give me the camel

The mental stimulation of the UK, say you go in a bookshop, thousands of titles oz never sees the likes of, the sunday paper, choice of 10 V the sunday mail food, choice of at least 8 supermarkets, think it was 10 actually, holidays, hundreds of exciting choices, and so on. The whole brain, body, experience is more colourful, less bland, more exciting, more alive, you just feel more alive, its hard to explain, the buzz, the humour, kids were in stitches with some of the late night telly, sorry just loved the whole buzz of it all, maybe you have to have lived the bbq lifestyle to appreciate it. I miss it so bloody much.

Moaning, media, it wasnt too bad actually, yes they are very realistic that the economy is grim, however is that worse than keeping everone in OZ happy with plasma TV bonus etc then hitting them with reality after the election

Great holiday, but emotional rollercoaster, felt like jumping off the plane when it took off, for me australia will always be too far away
We had 6 weeks over there took Ozzie husband he now wants to go and live over there agree with everything you said, had to laugh when you said you wanted to jump off the plane, we felt the same did not want to leave

I am having problems getting visa for ozzie husand as he is on a disability pension, rang up British High Comission the other day, wanted to know how much money he has, we have been offered accomodation over there with family. I am british with british passport , first time back in 40 years, now we cant wait to get over there
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
Very similar indeed to my situation.

I would have never chosen to live in Australia but married an Aussie and Aussies tend to want to go home to Australia sooner or later - usually sooner. They are brought up to LOVE their country quite unquestioningly and you do tend to find that MOST Aussies have the philosophy that theirs is the best country in the world deep down, even if they are not a flag-waving Aussie banging on about it all the time - though there are plenty of those too!

O/H made it quite clear they wanted to go and I hadn't really got a lot of choice. I sort of knew it wasnt going to be right for me but you can't argue with ''just give it a go'' etc etc.

Again, the turning point for me was the first visit back to the UK after 2 years. I realised I had spent 2 years TRYING to feel at home without ever actually feeling it at all. Things have gotten steadily worse for me since then.

I hope to find a way to go back soon - rather than later. Have had about as much of it as I can take now.
Join the gang!

I survive by going home at least once a year for a month or more. His part of the deal is that he needs to fund me doing that if he wont move with me. I have had him for so long that I dont want to train up a new one and he does come in handy for squashing spiders and all that so I wont dump him but sometimes the frying pan sounds like it would be a sensible solution (someone on here recommended the frying pan and gaffer tape solution and it does have a certain appeal some days!). Meanwhile, I am off on Valentines day for 5 weeks and then again in October/November this year. 31 years in March - you get less for murder (maybe that is an option after all)
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Join the gang!

I survive by going home at least once a year for a month or more. His part of the deal is that he needs to fund me doing that if he wont move with me. I have had him for so long that I dont want to train up a new one and he does come in handy for squashing spiders and all that so I wont dump him but sometimes the frying pan sounds like it would be a sensible solution (someone on here recommended the frying pan and gaffer tape solution and it does have a certain appeal some days!). Meanwhile, I am off on Valentines day for 5 weeks and then again in October/November this year. 31 years in March - you get less for murder (maybe that is an option after all)
Oh Quoll, I do so love your posts!!! You always make me giggle, even though I can feel your pain pining away for home...
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Oh Quoll, I do so love your posts!!! You always make me giggle, even though I can feel your pain pining away for home...
Aw thanks, I am a strong girl though! 4 weeks and I'll be on that plane, woo hooo! I'd hate to think I was pining away (although a bit of weight loss would be a definite bonus!) The Dh really is a sweetie, - he's wielding a crowbar and breaking up the hearth in the kitchen at the mo (dont ask!!!) - as long as he has no plans to dump me in the hole which is appearing, I think I should be OK.

Sorry to go off topic!

Only thing that makes me a tad anxious is if the long range weather forecasters dont know their a*** from their elbow and the runways at Heathrow arent cleared!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:27 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Aw thanks, I am a strong girl though! 4 weeks and I'll be on that plane, woo hooo! I'd hate to think I was pining away (although a bit of weight loss would be a definite bonus!) The Dh really is a sweetie, - he's wielding a crowbar and breaking up the hearth in the kitchen at the mo (dont ask!!!) - as long as he has no plans to dump me in the hole which is appearing, I think I should be OK.

Sorry to go off topic!

Only thing that makes me a tad anxious is if the long range weather forecasters dont know their a*** from their elbow and the runways at Heathrow arent cleared!
Snow has all gone and it is warming up
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to go off topic!

Originally Posted by Neil52
Snow has all gone and it is warming up
Looks like it's all engines go for you then! Avoid that hole and you'll be off to lovely England before you know it (maybe pining was a little strong, but you know what I mean)

Have a lovely trip (sitting here in the US pining for home, or maybe just some sunshine, these winter days do your head in).
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to go off topic!

2 trips this year, ohhh get you, are you rich or something

Dont worry about heathrow, when partner landed they said it would be minus 10, but no problems, we got in and out just fine too, lots of attention to carrying liquids and removing shoes and jumpers at security but no delays.

Had a laugh in woolies yesterday, woman in front of me spent $334 for a not even full trolley of food, I looked shocked and she turns to me and says its not too bad!!! I told her about UK prices and her and aussie check out chick both looked stunned that anyone could possibly think aus was expensive. Its like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.