Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Avoiding overseas student fees

Avoiding overseas student fees

Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:27 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

Originally Posted by tommyheaven
Am I the only one here who finds this quite distasteful. Why don't you send your child to a university in your chosen country. Why should you be entitled to better treatment when you have paid no UK income or council tax for quite some years. Tax on investments is just not the same. The UK is part of the EU and as such there are special rules, but I really find it hard to see how hard faced some people can be, in expecting something for nothing.
I'm sorry if this seems harsh but its the way I feel.

So, you are quite happy that a thirty year old who has only been out the country for three years, has contributed 11 years of tax to the system, has been a full and functioning member of society for thirty years in Britain, has served in the Army (As I have) has to pay international fee's ,yet someone from Germany can come in tommorrow and pay domestic rates?

Or, what about someone who has been in Jail for the last three years?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:36 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Budowsky
So, you are quite happy that a thirty year old who has only been out the country for three years, has contributed 11 years of tax to the system, has been a full and functioning member of society for thirty years in Britain, has served in the Army (As I have) has to pay international fee's ,yet someone from Germany can come in tommorrow and pay domestic rates?

Here Here

the system was changed to protect people who are British Citizens by decent, who had never set foot in the EU, from getting a free education.

It should not be stopping Brits who have been overseas for a spell from obtaining their education rights.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:10 am
Just Joined

jockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

Originally Posted by mika24me
In my defence, I lived in Scotland for 23 years, and only lived in Australia for 3. I intend to live in Scotland permenantly. Why should I be penalised for having lived overseas for 3 measly years? I would not be penalised had I been three years younger, yet I would have paid the same amount of tax over my lifetime.

Mel
Hi All,

Just got back from UK today visting my son who is now at uni in Scotland. We were totally successful in him obtaining funding from SAAS for funding.
We based our case on the definitions of "Ordinarily Resident" as given in the Scottish Education Act, there are two or three clauses which even although my family has been out of the UK for nearly five years were applicable. I would say to anyone .."Go for it"!, we were knocked back initially but plead our case again and the result was that my son's application was accepted..persevere !! Sorry to say though these clauses are only found in the Scottish Education Act.

Cheers

Jockomalay
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:22 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jockomalay
Hi All,

Just got back from UK today visting my son who is now at uni in Scotland. We were totally successful in him obtaining funding from SAAS for funding.
We based our case on the definitions of "Ordinarily Resident" as given in the Scottish Education Act, there are two or three clauses which even although my family has been out of the UK for nearly five years were applicable. I would say to anyone .."Go for it"!, we were knocked back initially but plead our case again and the result was that my son's application was accepted..persevere !! Sorry to say though these clauses are only found in the Scottish Education Act.

Cheers

Jockomalay
Hi Jockomalay

please could you PM me with the clauses which exept your son from the three year ruling. I have been told alreadyu that I will be exempt, but just in case they change their minds when I apply I would love to be armed with all the information I need

thanks

Mel
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Its another example of how the English get shafted by their own government. And I thought there was a shortage of Doctors in the UK?

I bet if you had just got of the boat as an asylum seeker you wouldn't be treated so poorly!

There is no shortage of Drs in the UK according to the government. There are many, many British doctors who want to work here but cant get a job. There are not the NHS jobs for them here.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely should be free for jail residents.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:48 am
Just Joined

jockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant future

Hi Jockomalay

please could you PM me with the clauses which exept your son from the three year ruling. I have been told alreadyu that I will be exempt, but just in case they change their minds when I apply I would love to be armed with all the information I need

thanks

Mel
Further to the private mail I sent you, can see the whole section on Eligibility at

Statutory Instrument 1999 No. 1131 (S. 91)
The Students' Allowances (Scotland) Regulations 1999
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19991131.htm

Go down to SCHEDULE 2, Regulation 3(2), ORDINARY RESIDENCE

Cheers

Jockomalay
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:25 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Question: Assume ties to Scotland that you can prove, either through marriage or family. One of the family members (say Dad) is Scottish raised and by birth. Mum is half Scottish, but was raised in England. If you return to Scotland to live and establish residency, surely there is nothing to stop you moving to England, NI or Wales after the year is up? These jurisdictions cannot discriminate against mobile Scots....so the logical conclusion is that if Scotland grants you home student status and you apply elsewhere, you can only do so as a home student applicant. England, NI and Wales have no authority to take your status away. Am I right?
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
....so the logical conclusion is that if Scotland grants you home student status and you apply elsewhere, you can only do so as a home student applicant. England, NI and Wales have no authority to take your status away. Am I right?
where you go to university, the county where you live are your sponsors, being the local LEA....for most, they have to be resident of the EU to get sponsorship...for a Scot, they don't have that requirement, but whether they will pay if you don't study in Scotland, I don't know..
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:12 am
Hussy

Originally Posted by dingbat
Question: Assume ties to Scotland that you can prove, either through marriage or family. One of the family members (say Dad) is Scottish raised and by birth. Mum is half Scottish, but was raised in England. If you return to Scotland to live and establish residency, surely there is nothing to stop you moving to England, NI or Wales after the year is up? These jurisdictions cannot discriminate against mobile Scots....so the logical conclusion is that if Scotland grants you home student status and you apply elsewhere, you can only do so as a home student applicant. England, NI and Wales have no authority to take your status away. Am I right?
I think the rules are that Scottish institutions require you to be born in Scotland and live there most of your life, and live specifically in Scotland for one year before starting to study. I don't think parents being born in Scotland counts, unless they still live there and you are under 25.

English institutions require you to be resident in the UK (anywhere) for three years before being considered resident.

Scottish institutions (I think) require larger fees to be paid by English residents, or at least they are considering it.

Basically, one country considering you resident does not guarantee the other one will.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

English institutions require you to be resident in the UK (anywhere) for three years before being considered resident.
resident anywhere in the EU, not just the UK.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:22 am
Hussy

Originally Posted by Bob
resident anywhere in the EU, not just the UK.
whoops got that bit wrong!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm replying to this from experiences of expat friends and our own while working/living in Singapore. Some of the teenagers did their GCSE AND A levels in Singapore then returned to UK and were given resident status for uni (whether the father was on temp work permit in Singapore or not- it depended on the university and LEA) we decided to return to uk in 2002 so our son could take A levels here + gap yr (the 3 yrs required) and is now in 2nd yr of uni paying uk fees only.

Now our daughter is taking A levels next June and wants to take a gap yr. If we move to NZ with PR visa next July would she be able to live in uk go to uni and pay uk fees?(She'd be 19, could she be regarded as resident as she and we have lived here for last 4 yrs) Or would we be better off persuading her to find a uni course in NZ.
Appologise for highjacking thread!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
I'm replying to this from experiences of expat friends and our own while working/living in Singapore. Some of the teenagers did their GCSE AND A levels in Singapore then returned to UK and were given resident status for uni (whether the father was on temp work permit in Singapore or not- it depended on the university and LEA) we decided to return to uk in 2002 so our son could take A levels here + gap yr (the 3 yrs required) and is now in 2nd yr of uni paying uk fees only.

Now our daughter is taking A levels next June and wants to take a gap yr. If we move to NZ with PR visa next July would she be able to live in uk go to uni and pay uk fees?(She'd be 19, could she be regarded as resident as she and we have lived here for last 4 yrs) Or would we be better off persuading her to find a uni course in NZ.
Appologise for highjacking thread!

Ooops Helen, sorry for hi-jacking your thread - as you know we met each other in Singapore with our children attending Tanglin Trust School. So you're not now going to the Melbourne area and going to NZ instead? How come?

For what it's worth I think that one's offspring are deemed to be 'independent' for academic purposes from the age of 21?

Our daughter chose not to come to the US with us just after taking her IGCSE's and went to boarding school in Oxford for her 'A' levels. She then took a Gap Year so her three years of residence counted (even though she spent half of the year in India and Nepal). In your case I think your daughter would be fine for UK fees purposes....she could have your daughter put a grandparent's or uncle/aunt's address on her application form to state that she is living with them.

My son is 18 this weekend (a non-event in the US apparently) but sadly seems to show no interest in going to the UK for college....he's spent two-thirds of his life in SE Asia and the US so feels no connection to Blighty, which makes me very sad....and of course tuition fees are far, far higher in the US than anywhere else in the world from what I can tell
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Our daughter chose not to come to the US with us just after taking her IGCSE's and went to boarding school in Oxford for her 'A' levels. She then took a Gap Year so her three years of residence counted (even though she spent half of the year in India and Nepal). In your case I think your daughter would be fine for UK fees purposes....she could have your daughter put a grandparent's or uncle/aunt's address on her application form to state that she is living with them.
going traveling is considered a temp leave from the UK, so it wouldn't have counted because she wouldn't have been resident anywhere permanently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.