Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Avoiding overseas student fees

Avoiding overseas student fees

Old May 1st 2006, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

shauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

Originally Posted by Bob
£3K is practically free though considering what the LEA pays up...and you can get low interest student loans, most banks do them for higher education, and there's the shitty SLC, though I don't think they cover mature students anymore.
What banks do these?
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shauninoz
What banks do these?
hsbc and barclays for starters...have a word with student officer or whatever they call 'em at the bank...
Old May 7th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

A German citizen who has NEVER lived in the UK can live in Germany their whole life and get home fees! How is this fair?
I'm originally from Germany and my daughter went to uni (Imperial) in the UK between 1996 and 1999. She didn't pay a single cent. The reason for that is that in Germany, univerity is more or less free. The German government therefore pays directly to the Uk government towards the costs of tertiary education, or to be precise they claim it back from the German government.

at the moment EU students in the UK pay 1125 pounds.

I just want to mention that Germany is not charging fees to any students from another country no matter where they come from EU or Bolivia for instance.

Last edited by Evelin; May 8th 2006 at 12:45 am.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:35 am
Just Joined

jockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant future

Hi Miss Piggy,

Just to let you know that I have just received feedback from Scottish Education Authorities (SAAS) and now they have stated that based on the definition of residency in Scotland as defined in the Education act, my son is now considered as a resident.i.e a COMPLETE reversal of the original response I received.
This is for education in Scotland, therefore I would check what the legislation is in other parts of the Uk Find out what they define as Resident.

Cheers

Jockomalay

Originally Posted by miss piggy
Can anyone give us some canny advice ?
We've been living in Oz for 5+ years now & have 2 teenagers. We all want to be based in the UK longterm & both kids want to go to university there. The older (currently 15) will definitely finish his education here , but we think that the younger will need to go to the UK for A levels as she wants to read Medicine & the UK universities seem to have an issue with an Australian HSC for such a selective course. Various factors preclude us from moving back any earlier( we will probably head back 6 months after she has started her A level course).

So it is likely that we will be in the Uk for 18 months or so prior to her university application but from what I can see,despite being UK citizens & having continued to pay tax on UK investments, we will still have to pay overseas fees as we won't satisfy the 3 year residency criteria. Obviously overseas fees for a 6/7 year clinical course are HUGE & we wondered whether ther are any ways to avoid this ? Would buying a house now in the UK ( & picking up the council tax/utility bills etc) be enough to show residency ?

I have to say it seems very unjust that an EU national can use the UK tertiary education service free of charge but a UK citizen can't !
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:37 am
Just Joined

jockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant futurejockomalay has a brilliant future

HI Bob,

Oh yes there is ..see my latest post.

Originally Posted by Bob
If you ain't a resident in the UK or the EU for 3 years, there's no way around it...couldn't you send your kid to school in the UK?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Shauninoz,
Check definition of residency with your LEA. In Scotland the definition of Ordinary residence can be found in Schedule 2 of The Students' Allowances (Scotland) Regulations 1999 web page
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19991131.htm

I've lived in England for 25 years and paid tax since the age of 16. I chose to come over here (Aus) to experience something different for a couple of years. I now find that when I return to the UK i have to pay overseas fees??!! A German citizen who has NEVER lived in the UK can live in Germany their whole life and get home fees! How is this fair?

If you are a citizen of the UK you should get citizen privileges regardless of how long you've lived there imo. If they have to do a residency test surely one year for citizens (and spouses of citizens) and two years for other perm residents would be a lot fairer?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:50 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

Hello

Last night I called the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) who are in charge of bursaries, grants, loans and fee payments for Scottish Students.

They said that becuase I have retained links with Britain (ie bank accounts, credit cards) and my visit to Australia was temporary (the proof of this is that I am coming back, they do not care that I got Oz citizenship), as long as I live in Scotland for 1 year I will be entitled to my free education and full bursary award (for midwifery this is about 6500 pounds a year).

This is not a special exemption, but applies to all students who lived in Scotland the majority of their lives and only lived away for a few years, regardless of the visa they left the country on.

Hope this is usefull to someone

Mel
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I haven't read the full thread but I am looking at returning as a mature student. I would love to train as a chef or dietitian, after looking at the fee's charged in OZ uni's, is there much of a difference to overseas charges in the UK.

I would be very interested to hear of anybody in the UK who has managed to get reduced fee's, if these are available for the slightly older lady
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:51 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Can anyone give us some canny advice ?
We've been living in Oz for 5+ years now & have 2 teenagers. We all want to be based in the UK longterm & both kids want to go to university there. The older (currently 15) will definitely finish his education here , but we think that the younger will need to go to the UK for A levels as she wants to read Medicine & the UK universities seem to have an issue with an Australian HSC for such a selective course. Various factors preclude us from moving back any earlier( we will probably head back 6 months after she has started her A level course).

So it is likely that we will be in the Uk for 18 months or so prior to her university application but from what I can see,despite being UK citizens & having continued to pay tax on UK investments, we will still have to pay overseas fees as we won't satisfy the 3 year residency criteria. Obviously overseas fees for a 6/7 year clinical course are HUGE & we wondered whether ther are any ways to avoid this ? Would buying a house now in the UK ( & picking up the council tax/utility bills etc) be enough to show residency ?

I have to say it seems very unjust that an EU national can use the UK tertiary education service free of charge but a UK citizen can't !

How will they know you haven't lived in England for three years, or Scotland, or anywhere in Europe?

I was seriously thinking of returning to the UK to do a one year postgrad in journalism and hopefully moving to London. I might have to rethink it.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

If you haven't been paying tax/NI in the UK it is a bit of a give away !
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:14 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

If you haven't been paying tax/NI in the UK it is a bit of a give away !

If you lived in Spain you wouldnt pay NI would you? Just tell em you've been living in spain for last five years.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Sorry I haven't read the full thread but I am looking at returning as a mature student. I would love to train as a chef or dietitian, after looking at the fee's charged in OZ uni's, is there much of a difference to overseas charges in the UK.
Depending on if you went to university before, as a mature student, you might not get any LEA sponsorship...if you've had 4 years paid before, then you won't qualify...if you haven't ever been, and are over 26, you'll get some sponsorship.

As for full international rates, depends on the type of course and the uni.

A practical course will be more expensive, and where I went, Brunel, doing a design course cost international students around £18K a year, but things like English only cost around £6-8K a year. Mainly because design is highly regarded there, and there's a lot of workshop and labs.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Budowsky
If you lived in Spain you wouldnt pay NI would you? Just tell em you've been living in spain for last five years.
Aye, but you would have paid some tax, and there's a reciprocal tax agreement with most EU and a lot of other countries, that allow you to claim those taxes paid as part of your NI contributions.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but you would have paid some tax, and there's a reciprocal tax agreement with most EU and a lot of other countries, that allow you to claim those taxes paid as part of your NI contributions.

Its another example of how the English get shafted by their own government. And I thought there was a shortage of Doctors in the UK?

I bet if you had just got of the boat as an asylum seeker you wouldn't be treated so poorly!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Budowsky
Its another example of how the English get shafted by their own government. And I thought there was a shortage of Doctors in the UK?

I bet if you had just got of the boat as an asylum seeker you wouldn't be treated so poorly!
Shortage of doctors on the NHS...not private....and schools have limited positions because lets face it, you want the doc to be to be someone good rather than some slacker scrapping through

And Asylum, that's a whole different ball game, apart from not legally being allowed to work, and having the burden of proof and all that...plus they were escaping something rather horrid... It's horrid not being allowed to work as well.

Of course some people do take the piss, but that's with all walks of life.

Speaking of education though, the Greeks have it good, as much as they hate him, Onasis is still paying for all Greek citizens to study where ever they want to.

Scandinavian countries also work quite well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.