Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

I have never noticed any Anti-Australian sentiments. As someone here pointed out this sort of abominable behaviour could equally well have been committed by a London-based crew.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:33 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basilito01
^Amen to that! love Brits jumping on their high horse after this incident, compared to how trashy the press is over there and how far they invade royals privacy themselves.. but hell let's pick on two random Aussie DJ's- not that i'm defending them but if there's someone to blame the most is the radio station.. which is utter trash anyway. What about prince Charles and all the garbage he's done to embarrass England? hmm.
No one is on high horses. It's the opposite really. We totally acknowledge that this sense of humour goes on in the UK too. Look at the whole Jonathan Ross and Andrew Sachs prank call. No one is saying it's the Ozzy sense of humour is to blame because this same stuff happens here. We're not picking on them because they're Ozzy's, we're picking on them because it was disgraceful and distasteful.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
No one is on high horses. It's the opposite really. We totally acknowledge that this sense of humour goes on in the UK too. Look at the whole Jonathan Ross and Andrew Sachs prank call. No one is saying it's the Ozzy sense of humour is to blame because this same stuff happens here. We're not picking on them because they're Ozzy's, we're picking on them because it was disgraceful and distasteful.
I agree. To say otherwise is inflammatory - but I am sure there are a few 'chips on the shoulders' out there.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. The tide has definitely turned against Aussie's here in the UK and they are now no longer welcome. We're sending them all back home, beginning with this guy:

http://www.channel4.com/news/bus-sta...ation-decision
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:58 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
With all the media coverage of the Australian radio prank/suicide ... I'm wondering if Australians are especially unpopular in the UK at the moment?

The tragedy... and growing unrest over immigration numbers in the UK ...makes me wonder how Australians (or expats with Australian accents) are being received back home?
I doubt it. You only have to read the countless comments in the Telegraph and Mail about how Britain should be leaving the EU and strengthening ties with the Commonwealth countries. They love Australians and NZers in general and see them as brothers. Also, they know their own Russell Brand style humour is just as bad as Aussie stuff so only the most embittered and prejudiced are going to hold that against them.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, not met any ill feeling - I am a Pom of course but the accent still lingers and no end of folk have picked up on it and asked if I am an Aussie (at which point I wax lyrical about how bloody brilliant it is to be home!) but not had any negativity.

DS gets ribbed in the workplace for being Aussie (he's a born Brit too!) but he doesn't mind, it's all part of his identity and makes him stand out in his workplace which, in his case, is good (one of his colleagues was gobsmacked when I mentioned that he had been born in Bristol!). He does cop a few jibes when the Aussies lose at cricket/rugby/Olympics but that's the worst it has got.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 6:50 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
With all the media coverage of the Australian radio prank/suicide ... I'm wondering if Australians are especially unpopular in the UK at the moment?

The tragedy... and growing unrest over immigration numbers in the UK ...makes me wonder how Australians (or expats with Australian accents) are being received back home?
Why in the world would they be, two people did that prank and they didn't cause that nurses suicide either, she was clearly deranged, no one kills themselves over something like that unless they had previous mental health issues, not to mention how unbelievably selfish it was to abandon her two kids.

In short I highly doubt any Aussies or people from NZ are getting backlash except from D!$kheads.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Scotland I have only heard positive comments about Aussies in general. I am not referring to the vile behaviour of these two radio presenters but in general terms.

I remembr in particular a couple of Scots who had been in Korea in a Scottish regiment during the Korean War. On witnessing how Aussie soldiers spoke to their officers they were amazed - and envious !
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I hear good and bad about Aussies just like most other nationalities.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

All Aussies shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, absolutely correct (it's sticky and has hairs on it eeek)

Anyway, to judge all Aussies by the actions of two DJ's (whether you think of it as a prank gone wrong or something more sinister is another conversation) however, to judge all Aussies the same would be to 'tar' all Brits as having the pure arrogance and stupidity of Brand and Ross when they 'pranked' Andrew Sachs leaving vile messages on his answerphone about his granddaughter.

Everyone is different!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Aussies being on the nose, why are we called Pongos in the UK?!! Or in Liverpool, at least, other parts are probably more polite :-) The Scouser told me about the nickname but I'm not sure if he's being a Tom Pepper (practising my colloquialisms) :-)
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit pongo is a new one, I cant say I have ever heard it to be honest. Someone was pulling your leg I reckon
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit pongo is a new one, I cant say I have ever heard it to be honest. Someone was pulling your leg I reckon
That's what I get for marrying a scouser

At any rate, he's not laughing or joking today, was bitten by a redback spider in the garden. Once he's better, I'm going to kill him. Pongo indeed.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have heard "Pongo" used in a more general sense - just as an insult to refer to squaddies in UK regiments. It may come from this, which I found on Wikipedia -

"Pongo, chimpanzee, star attraction in 1884 at the Zoological Park in Walton, Liverpool"

Last edited by scot47; Jan 9th 2013 at 4:36 pm.