Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:13 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

With all the media coverage of the Australian radio prank/suicide ... I'm wondering if Australians are especially unpopular in the UK at the moment?

The tragedy... and growing unrest over immigration numbers in the UK ...makes me wonder how Australians (or expats with Australian accents) are being received back home?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Aussies on the nose in the UK?

Originally Posted by brissybee
With all the media coverage of the Australian radio prank/suicide ... I'm wondering if Australians are especially unpopular in the UK at the moment?

The tragedy... and growing unrest over immigration numbers in the UK ...makes me wonder how Australians (or expats with Australian accents) are being received back home?
They have always been unpopular.

This episode simply reinforces why.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:22 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They have always been unpopular.

This episode simply reinforces why.
Well that's something to look forward to when we venture back for however long we do in 2014.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:24 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed any unrest towards Australians in London. A couple of my friends are from Oz, had them over for dinner last night. It was a hot topic of conversation and they are in agreement that the prank was unfair and they shouldn't have done it. They didn't get lynched whilst leaving my place either!

Grayling - I don't think the prank was down to being Australian. These kinds of pranks happen in the UK too and to paint all Ozzy's with the same brush is ridiculous seeing as it seems the vast majority find the prank distasteful.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:25 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's something to look forward to when we venture back for however long we do in 2014.
Don't listen Brissy, You'll be fine!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Dec 12th 2012 at 10:37 am.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:35 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Don't listen Brissy, I think he's trying to be funny, not that he succeeded. You'll be fine!
I hope you're right, but I do remember some Aussies being regarded differently when I lived in the UK... and this latest incident won't help UK/Aus relations.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think individual personality counts for much more than accent or perceived nationality. Loud, brash, uncouth Australians are not well received - but then neither are loud, brash, uncouth Americans, loud, brash, uncouth Brits, etc. Tarring all Australians with the same brush is plain ignorant.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you Brits anyway though........
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch

Grayling - I don't think the prank was down to being Australian. These kinds of pranks happen in the UK too and to paint all Ozzy's with the same brush is ridiculous seeing as it seems the vast majority find the prank distasteful.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:27 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Aren't you Brits anyway though........
I am but I bred an Aussie and I married an Aussie and I've been down under so long I sound stupid sometimes
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am but I bred an Aussie and I married an Aussie and I've been down under so long I sound stupid sometimes
Just play down the Aussie bit and talk about being glad to be home and you'll be fine
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:20 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant say I have noticed anything to be honest, Aussies seem to be thought of as loud and uncouth but I dont think this latest incident has changed that one way or another.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would be ironic coming from the country which invented gutter journalism.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Basilito01 is an unknown quantity at this point

^Amen to that! love Brits jumping on their high horse after this incident, compared to how trashy the press is over there and how far they invade royals privacy themselves.. but hell let's pick on two random Aussie DJ's- not that i'm defending them but if there's someone to blame the most is the radio station.. which is utter trash anyway. What about prince Charles and all the garbage he's done to embarrass England? hmm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Budawang
Well that would be ironic coming from the country which invented gutter journalism.
Murdoch is from Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.