Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone need/know a plumber? UK

Anyone need/know a plumber? UK

Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:15 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone need/know a plumber? UK

HI all,
It looks like we may have to go home after 7months in QLD. OH is a plumber and heating engineer with 19yr experience, but it doesn't mean anything to the Aussies and he has been unable to secure work.
In an ideal world and in the current climate we would like to try and secure a position in the UK before we return. I know that this is a lot to ask in the climate but we are pretty desperate so i thought i would ask anyway.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY PLUMBERS OR COMPANIES THAT NEED EMPLOYEES that would employ a plumber with extensive experience.
We are in a position where we do not mind where we move back to in the UK (within reason), we are originally from Sussex but would like to live in a whole different area.

If anybody can help us, please reply or PM me.
Many thanks x
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

dalaney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone need/know a plumber? UK

Hi

This is our concern aswell, we considering coming back from Cyprus, hubby is also a plumber, heating engineer.

Just what is the construction/plumbing industry like in the UK at the moment?
Is there any work there?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hey up betsy

If you have money,stay and give australia a fair crack i say!!!
You come into this world with nowt,dont hurt going out with nowt!!!!

You get 1 life,live it

Easy said then done i know,.........or is it?

jase
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:25 pm

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Hey up betsy

If you have money,stay and give australia a fair crack i say!!!
You come into this world with nowt,dont hurt going out with nowt!!!!

You get 1 life,live it

Easy said then done i know,.........or is it?

jase
I know, we do really want to stay. It is weird it has taken 6months to actually start REALLY liking it here, we don't want to go now.
It just seems that we've been set up. OH has a provisional plumb license, you have to work under a fully qual plumb for 12months before you can go for you full license and then that takes 12 months. BUT noone will give OH a go and he is unable to work alone. He has done some work for people we know but he doesn't need to sign that off, he can't advertise as a plumb and can't carry out plumbing work on his license - we are stuffed:curse:
He has a couple of possibilities at the mo, we would like to see another 6months and see if anything happens but it just doesn't feel like we are getting anywhere.
We were thinking that we may have a word with the realetsate and see if they will relet for another 3months, give us a bit more time and won't go broke in that time.
I am also applying for work so hopefully something will crop up for me as that would help.
Anyway chin up eh!?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hey bets

Sounds like a reet predicament!!!

Your both still young(well you look it anyway) so like you say,stick at it and see what happens.

Theres plumbers working out there at the moment,so theres work there so just keep plugging away,or maybe change location/state for job hunting?

What job do you do BB?
jase
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:50 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

As Jase said if you have funds give it a chance change of career Im in the same job as your partner but know back in the uk and regretting it Queensland is a much better place tobe, and as the recession has Bit hard so did the building industry fell apart all trades scrounging any bit of work they can, As for jobs the goverment grant people free heating systems so there are some big companys contracting this is were I would look this as also been the downfall for me being self employed less work with the grants good luck
Al
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:48 am
stuck in twilight

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574545

Don,t know wether this link will work but if it deose not look on the jobs links plumbers the plumber partner If you have a bit of cash spare it ma be for you I would have jumped at it. Al
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by pike
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574545

Don,t know wether this link will work but if it deose not look on the jobs links plumbers the plumber partner If you have a bit of cash spare it ma be for you I would have jumped at it. Al

We enquired but it is $150k, we just don't have that money and aren't stable enough at the mo to invest. Thanks tho
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsyboob
HI all,
It looks like we may have to go home after 7months in QLD. OH is a plumber and heating engineer with 19yr experience, but it doesn't mean anything to the Aussies and he has been unable to secure work.
In an ideal world and in the current climate we would like to try and secure a position in the UK before we return. I know that this is a lot to ask in the climate but we are pretty desperate so i thought i would ask anyway.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY PLUMBERS OR COMPANIES THAT NEED EMPLOYEES that would employ a plumber with extensive experience.
We are in a position where we do not mind where we move back to in the UK (within reason), we are originally from Sussex but would like to live in a whole different area.

Many thanks x

Hi I'm a self employed plumber in France - I'd like to come back to the UK but the current "recession" climate just doens't seem to be the best of times. I think you should stay put for the time being because coming back from Australia will set you back an arm and a leg, and again its probably not the best of times to be taking financial risks.....
Have you tried other parts of Australia?? I get the impression that most people head off to Queensland - could it be that there are just too many plumbers in that area??
Anyway if France takes your fancy, I could always do with someone like your husband......

Good luck anyway
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

My info from a friend in Scotland is that Plumbers are being laid off...as the recession bites. Even many of the cheap labour Eastern European guys as calling it quits and returning from whence they came. Best you stay put for the moment I think....doubt job prospects in the UK would be encouraging at the moment as the lay offs climb every week...with no end in sight.
Sorry....
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

HI all,

Many thanks x
Im subbing for british gas in lincolnshire, I know that they are taking gas engineers on here as we get £100 for recommending one
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:38 pm
stuck in twilight

Originally Posted by le plumber
Hi I'm a self employed plumber in France - I'd like to come back to the UK but the current "recession" climate just doens't seem to be the best of times. I think you should stay put for the time being because coming back from Australia will set you back an arm and a leg, and again its probably not the best of times to be taking financial risks.....
Have you tried other parts of Australia?? I get the impression that most people head off to Queensland - could it be that there are just too many plumbers in that area??
Anyway if France takes your fancy, I could always do with someone like your husband......

Good luck anyway
I would never recomend any one too come back but if you have transferd your money too OZ you will make a few pound on a transfer back as for europe its a different ball as the euro is as bad as the pound , and why not france it would be better than coming here and still gives you a change of culture

Last edited by pike; Feb 8th 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice

Dont come back! I'd rather be skint in oz then back here! Works shocking, The papers and the news is just full of bad and depressing stories about the recession and the weather is just a nightmare! I,m a self employed plumber and like mentioned before if you dont work for a big company that has the grants contracts then work is hard to find.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

IGS PLUMBERS is an unknown quantity at this point

HI all,

Many thanks x
you must be mad ther no work here for plumber nobody biulding anything iam self employed lumber with dom,com,industrial i cannot compeat with the plumber on the brew
have read thread about pipefitter down the mine in auz doing really well but this can just be bull----
good luck
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:12 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I would think about your husband getting a job doing something else as a main income but then gets some business cards printed offering plumbing as a sideline. This often is the route towards getting full time work in his trained job.

7 months isn't long to be in Australia and if it's just work that's an issue, try doing something else just for a while. He'll always have plumbing to fall back on as a trade but for now, maybe there is an opportunity for you to enjoy Australia and do a different kind of work.
Just an idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.