Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Aw I missed hopping into the nanna thread going there for a mo - some very cute little poppets there, girls! I refuse to be called nanna, grandma, gran or any of those - so dreadfully ageing dont you think? I'd much rather they called me by my name, just as my kids did but in the end we have gone for Mops - because my DS has recently taken to calling my DH - Pops. That I can stand because it doesnt have those connotations of "over the hill and well on the way down the other side"

I am looking forward to taking our DGD with us to UK but I will probably feel differently if I have had her on my lap for 24 hours! This one is mine - havent seen her for a few months but she will have a week to get to know me again before we fly

Last edited by quoll; Mar 11th 2009 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:32 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Aw I missed hopping into the nanna thread going there for a mo - some very cute little poppets there, girls! I refuse to be called nanna, grandma, gran or any of those - so dreadfully ageing dont you think? I'd much rather they called me by my name, just as my kids did but in the end we have gone for Mops - because my DS has recently taken to calling my DH - Pops. That I can stand because it doesnt have those connotations of "over the hill and well on the way down the other side"

I am looking forward to taking our DGD with us to UK but I will probably feel differently if I have had her on my lap for 24 hours! This one is mine - havent seen her for a few months but she will have a week to get to know me again before we fly
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...h_IMG_1238.jpg
Awe!! She's going to be a stunner quall, has she a temper with that colour hair.....
My 12 yr old daughter has that colouring and she's mustard lols Her twin brother is blonde and so laid back
Attached Thumbnails Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?-247.jpg  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:42 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We've only been here a week, and I can't say it's normal living as we're in a nice holiday rental and puttering about, but I've seen no grumpiness at all. All the family and friends I've been in contact with are doing fine.

That's not to say that some people aren't suffering. I don't know anyone working the money biz in London, for example, or in the car industry.

But shops seem to be doing okay here in Devon, and people bustling about. Mostly polite and friendly, too.

Mind you, I couldn't find a hand cream today. Don't they sell hand cream in push dispensers here? Just little tubes. Odd.

We've been window shopping properties and a lot are under offer or sold. I don't know how close to the asking price, though.

I only get the news from BBC and i wouldn't say they're dooming and glooming. They're reporting the bad stuff, but not over the top. For example, Toyota workers have accepted two unpaid days a month to avoid layoffs, but they get those days off, and most didn't sound too upset about that.

John Lewis Co workers will only get half their usual bonus, but there's still a bonus.

Some other company's profits were down a lot, but it was still a big sum.

So some of it is the old half full/half empty thing.

Mind you, they said today that the UK's going to print money to buy back bonds. It's probably a good idea, but that's going to lead to inflation. And people trying to live on investment income are in deep trouble everywhere. I know of sensible, frugal retired people in the States who are seeing their annual income cut in half. That's tough.

Bev, in Devon.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:47 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
We've only been here a week, and I can't say it's normal living as we're in a nice holiday rental and puttering about, but I've seen no grumpiness at all. All the family and friends I've been in contact with are doing fine.

That's not to say that some people aren't suffering. I don't know anyone working the money biz in London, for example, or in the car industry.

But shops seem to be doing okay here in Devon, and people bustling about. Mostly polite and friendly, too.

Mind you, I couldn't find a hand cream today. Don't they sell hand cream in push dispensers here? Just little tubes. Odd.

We've been window shopping properties and a lot are under offer or sold. I don't know how close to the asking price, though.

I only get the news from BBC and i wouldn't say they're dooming and glooming. They're reporting the bad stuff, but not over the top. For example, Toyota workers have accepted two unpaid days a month to avoid layoffs, but they get those days off, and most didn't sound too upset about that.

John Lewis Co workers will only get half their usual bonus, but there's still a bonus.

Some other company's profits were down a lot, but it was still a big sum.

So some of it is the old half full/half empty thing.

Mind you, they said today that the UK's going to print money to buy back bonds. It's probably a good idea, but that's going to lead to inflation. And people trying to live on investment income are in deep trouble everywhere. I know of sensible, frugal retired people in the States who are seeing their annual income cut in half. That's tough.

Bev, in Devon.

Gosh, Bev, It's still not bad if JL workers get any kind of bonus. Great to read your update. Thankyou
Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Brit-Girl will become famous soon enoughBrit-Girl will become famous soon enough

After 21 years in Australia my return to the UK last October was the medicine I needed to get over the cultural shock that I have suffered all these years. Britain is the green and pleasant land, my home and the best place in the world.
There is magic here, and at the same time I feel like Im living a real life now. I landed here and felt instantly that I was back where I belong. I love the brits for the way they deal with the bad times as if they understand that life isnt handed to us on a plate, unlike the Ozzies who seem to think that they have a right to an easy life because they live in this false paradise.
The weather here is fabulous, no more incessant blue skies and hot winds. It is just so easy to live in Britain.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:37 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit-Girl
After 21 years in Australia my return to the UK last October was the medicine I needed to get over the cultural shock that I have suffered all these years. Britain is the green and pleasant land, my home and the best place in the world.
There is magic here, and at the same time I feel like Im living a real life now. I landed here and felt instantly that I was back where I belong. I love the brits for the way they deal with the bad times as if they understand that life isnt handed to us on a plate, unlike the Ozzies who seem to think that they have a right to an easy life because they live in this false paradise.
The weather here is fabulous, no more incessant blue skies and hot winds. It is just so easy to live in Britain.
Sounds like you made the right choice for you! good luck to ya!. What made you return after 21 years??
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Brit-Girl will become famous soon enoughBrit-Girl will become famous soon enough

Id wanted to return home for years, everything just fell into place last year, Im now marrying a man I grew up with all those years ago in UK, I do wonder sometimes what the point was of leaving, but then I know what it was...........to know and appreciate and love the place that I was born.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:29 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

My container arrives on Tues next week and i don't even want anything that's in it hahahaha...how daft is that
So funnyI laughed so loudly the dog jumped!!

Should I just leave everything here and make a run for it then????

Ali x