Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Wikiposts

Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:53 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone back to the UK recently? How is it?

Originally Posted by Back to UK
Guess I know the Optimistic ones. Had lunch with some folk today and there doom and gloom was as bad if not worse than those I know in the UK. Maybe cause the UK has been facing the recession for longer ! Although according to an Estate agent in UK and a realtor friend here in Toronto. February has seen a rise in House sales. The first one in many months !

Can only hope this is the start of a new beginning !

I wonder if it does depend on where you are and who you mix with? I'm on the Gold Coast, my son is a real estate agent. Last week he sold a property within an hour and now his biggest problem is that he can't get enough properties under the $500,000 price range. These are the ones that are being snapped up. Two houses in my street sold within days so property is still moving. The local newspaper is full of jobs.
The mood here is generally cheerful and upbeat although jobs in certain industries have been lost. Unemployment is currently at 5.5% so not too bad. Many of those who have lost jobs are unskilled or have limited skills so it may be difficult to obtain work in another field unless they retrain.
Like you, I'm optimistic and my friends here in Oz are too. But in the UK, it's a different story altogether. It's like worlds apart.
My daughter lives in the UK and is equally depressing to talk to. Is it really that bad or do they just think it is?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, where did you go back to?

People in London seemed no more concerned than people we know here!

Maybe I was just lucky to meet people and have friends who have that outlook on life.

Maybe London is different to other places in the UK - who knows?
"Maybe I was just lucky to meet people and have friends who have that outlook on life" - Perhaps you were...

My trips took me from one end of the country to the other. As for London, my son works in the financial sector there and has one eye looking over his shoulder. Many of his friends etc have lost their jobs too. His wife is also concerned re her job as are many others. Pessimism is certainly abroad in big whacks at the moment. Having said that, they don't walk about in 'sack cloth & ashes' either and get on with it....perhaps that is what you are alluding too? However, that does not change the reality of life at this time for probably the majority of people- other than those who's personal circumstances allow them to feel secure for their future and that of their families....and to suggest otherwise is fatuous to say the least.

Last edited by macadian; Mar 8th 2009 at 9:23 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Back to UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Not too sure what you are implying by that statement as far as the social group I am in connection with.

Many of my friends work within the Arts. They are in no way well off, but they are all of the opinion that "this too will end "

As always all over the world the media is making life seem so much worse than it is. Britain is suffering and of course people have concerned for their future - but does that stop them enjoying life - ab not !

I only know one person in the UK, who is finding it really tough, he is a wide-boy city lad. He has seen his salary drop by a huge %. His salary is still more than most people I know, but as he has had to adapt his lifestyle to a more modest one, he is feeling very hard done by !
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:11 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Not too sure what you are implying by that statement as far as the social group I am in connection with.

Many of my friends work within the Arts. They are in no way well off, but they are all of the opinion that "this too will end "

As always all over the world the media is making life seem so much worse than it is. Britain is suffering and of course people have concerned for their future - but does that stop them enjoying life - ab not !

I only know one person in the UK, who is finding it really tough, he is a wide-boy city lad. He has seen his salary drop by a huge %. His salary is still more than most people I know, but as he has had to adapt his lifestyle to a more modest one, he is feeling very hard done by !
So no more prawn and champagne lunches for him then eh!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Theres doom and gloom all the world over,and uk is in one at the moment!
Like peeps have said,in some sectors,things aint changedbut in others we have been hit hard!!

Alot of my builder buddies have had very baron spells,but then again some havent!

The rich stay rich and the poor just get poorer!!!

But the weather in the uk wont be any different from 5 years ago
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
So no more prawn and champagne lunches for him then eh!
Saly not , at least for the foreseeable future, Cockles and bread !
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:30 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Saly not , at least for the foreseeable future, Cockles and bread !
Cockles!!! whats cockles?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:52 am
Just Joined

M1KTA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
Just out of interest wondering how people are finding the UK on their return?
Wet (if not snowing then no salt for the roads!)

Finance and Jobs are big news and bit mixed government seems to be bailing out companies as well as banks now
Mortgage rates lowest for years.
Savings rates at 0% for the most part.
0.5% interest rate officially but more like 5% if you actually need a mortgage.
London commuter trains full of seriously sad grumpy faces
VAT currently down to 15% but for how long?
New cars seem to be getting cheaper, petrol back to <£1 litre
Houses seem to be on market for ages and most not selling
Many seem scared of loosing their jobs especially if got a mortgage and/or kids

Dom
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:02 am
Account Closed

Interesting what you say regarding Houses, as apparently both the main industry regulating bodies for sales in both the UK and Canada, have said that February showed an increase in sales.

Also HSBC has announced 15 Billion pounds is to be released to ease mortgage crisis.

Out of interest where r u based?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

I was not implying anything at all, simply accepting that the 'Social Group' of whom you spoke were perhaps better fixed than the majority of people I had come in contact with. The people of whom I speak are those with jobs, mortgages & young families and having real concerns for the immediate future. Yes, it will all end at some point, it's the interim that people have concerns of and how they will be fixed when matters do start to improve at a later time....

Last edited by macadian; Mar 9th 2009 at 3:12 am.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Not sure if you are aware but arts workers and actors are generally some of the worst paid people. Unless u r a top name. Some survive on £330 per week or less. Many of them are not working. Most of them are liberal in their thinking and realise that yes times are hard but A) Life is a wonderful gift and will try to enjoy it to the full! B) Its bad in many countries and C) like many situations, the press have a tendency not to help in times of crisis.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Not sure if you are aware but arts workers and actors are generally some of the worst paid people. Unless u r a top name. Some survive on £330 per week or less. Many of them are not working. Most of them are liberal in their thinking and realise that yes times are hard but A) Life is a wonderful gift and will try to enjoy it to the full! B) Its bad in many countries and C) like many situations, the press have a tendency not to help in times of crisis.
I think a group of people whose circumstances are to a greater degree driven by choice rather than by necessity?

As for the sum you quote, it's not far removed from what I live on...but I don't choose to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. I come back to the choice factor in their lifestyle...and the very best of luck to them too!

Last edited by macadian; Mar 9th 2009 at 4:21 am.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I was not implying anything at all, simply accepting that the 'Social Group' of whom you spoke were perhaps better fixed than the majority of people I had come in contact with. The people of whom I speak are those with jobs, mortgages & young families and having real concerns for the immediate future. Yes, it will all end at some point, it's the interim that people have concerns of and how they will be fixed when matters do start to improve at a later time....
I bet they are nowhere near as concerned as those who arein similar shoes in the US:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-problem.html

Last time I checked we did not have anything like this in the UK...
Old Mar 9th 2009, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by macadian
I think a group of people whose circumstances are to a greater degree driven by choice rather than by necessity?

As for the sum you quote, it's not far removed from what I live on...but I don't choose to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. I come back to the choice factor in their lifestyle...and the very best of luck to them too!
Sadly Actor and actresses need to base themselves where the work is. London mainly and to a lesser degree Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol and Dublin. This in not a choice factor for them !
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Sadly Actor and actresses need to base themselves where the work is. London mainly and to a lesser degree Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol and Dublin. This in not a choice factor for them !
Can't agree entirely...the choice factor (to be actors/actresses) is what drives them....and as I say, best of luck to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.