Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

Old Mar 1st 2014, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

In happier news, the vacuum cleaner has been adopted and the steam iron rehomed. I had replies within minutes of posting the adverts on Kijiji. After selling my car to two expert hagglers from Egypt I was better prepared for some hard bargaining. But this time, I held firm and got my asking price. $0.00

The microwave is leaving tomorrow. No tears. No roses.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
And how nice it will be to be in a dog friendly country. She can even go for a pint with me lol.
We found some lovely pubs that didn't mind dogs when I was hiking with friends during a holiday last May. Lovely beer too!
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:50 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you and Nyla a safe and happy journey home. I bet you will be glad to see the back of the brutal weather Calgary has had this winter. Lovely sunny morning here and I have already been working in the garden in February. I couldn't have done that in Calgary. I am sure Nyla will love the Lake District, it is a lovely part of the world.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
Yes. She will have enough space in her crate to stand upright, turn round and lie flat. I won't.

Boomerang will pick her up at 2pm on Sunday and give her a short stroll before the flight at 6pm.

At Heathrow, the staff at the animal reception centre will let her have a pee break. It can be 2 to 3 hours after landing before I can collect her.
From experience, it can take a couple of hours, or up to several hours (in the case of my dog). From memory, the Animal Reception Centre isn't designed for long waits, so maybe make sure you have something to keep you entertained, and some food (I think there are only vending machines there).

The staff at the ARC are great and take very good care of the dogs, so Nyla will be in good hands. I remember Suzy's tail was wagging ten to the dozen when she came out.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Default Dump day

Thanks for all the encouragement. We have been feeling more relaxed as we get closer to the flight day (tomorrow) and the todo list has been getting shorter. A week ago I was adding things to the list at about the same rate I was completing others, but now we are down to just one page. That sounds bad, but it's a very small page on a smart phone! Just 9 things and most of them not essential.

The washer and dryer are staying, having been sold with the house. So I can wash clothes today.

310 Dump are coming to collect the old sofa this morning. I will also ask them to take the small pile of unused empty boxes (starline used their own for the packing) and a few bags of rubbish. I would like to have space free in our wheelie bin when we have a final clear out of cleaning products, shampoo, soap and half used food (Not half eaten, I just mean the packets are open!)

We also have some unopened food which I will drop off at the food bank.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 2:18 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread! Wishing you safe travels and happy landings!
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Default The Last Sofa

We're sitting on our sofa enjoying a last cup of coffee, lemon cake and dog biscuits before it goes off to the dump.

We have some food for today and tomorrow, but all the pots and pans have left for England. I have a cooking pot for camping, but I'm not sure if I can use that on an electric stove.

We have about a dozen black bin bags waiting to be collected with the sofa.

There's another reason this move is feeling less stressful as we approach the flight: we will be staying with a friend who has kindly said we're welcome to stay as long as we need. So that has split the move into 2 completely separate stages. I have been able to focus almost entirely on the first stage which is just getting back to England. We haven't had to start working on the second stage which is starting a new life in England, finding a job and a place to live. I have done plenty of research for those, but I am leaving job applications and rental applications until we are in England.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Feel so excited for you both. Can't wait until it's my turn. I hope you will keep us posted when you arrive. Safe travels for both you and Nyla.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Feel so excited for you both. Can't wait until it's my turn. I hope you will keep us posted when you arrive. Safe travels for both you and Nyla.
Thanks!

I will certainly try to keep posting. There could be more valuable lessons ahead: Should I have trained Nyla for rain by squirting water at her from a plant misting bottle during our walks, for example.

The Internet should be arriving at my friends house in north Devon a few days after I arrive. Apparently it has already arrived in other parts of the town. I'm not sure if they have fibre yet or whether they're still using straw.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Default Woof Rack

The sofa and rubbish has gone.

Nyla liked having all the visitors but has noticed that they are all taking things away. She is keeping a closer eye on me today.

We are now using the staircase as a seat. A house without seats feels unwelcoming, but we are lucky the staircase comes down into the living room, so we still have a nice place for more coffee and cake.

We have time for a dog walk this afternoon, then we will attempt to squash everything into the suitcase and 2 holdalls. I should have bought a roof-rack for Nyla's crate.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Your dogs will be fine. They have loving "parents". One BIG reason I came back after going back to the UK was missing my dogs. SO when I do return I will HAVE to come up with the money and a plan to bring them with me. I missed them TOO much.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Default Missed the boat

I just found 2 nice large dinner plates in the dishwasher. I must have put them in there years ago and forgotten them (they are clean). The shipping left yesterday, so the plates have missed the boat. My suitcase and holdalls are already full. A greek style plate smash up is one option, but the broom is on the boat, so probably not my best plan.

After sending a dozen bin bags to the dump I had time to walk with Nyla then take a big bag of food to the food bank. This evening I still had plenty of time to pack for the flight. Time wasn't a problem, but energy was running low. We both had a nap after dinner, then finished the packing.

Tomorrow is flight day. In the morning, we will have a short walk before cleaning and returning the rental car. The Budget car rental web site says pets are welcome in their cars, but some of the branches say no pets. So I use wide masking tape to remove any dog fur from the vehicle, leaving no trace of any pet passenger.

Boomerang will collect Nyla and her crate at 2 pm. She is supposed to have half size meals tomorrow before the flight. She won't appreciate that.

I will leave for the airport at 2:30

Last night in this house, after nearly 7 years here. 14 in Canada.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

brilliant updates. made me smile. safe trip home
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

What a fabulous thread.... all the very best of luck to you and I look forward to reading about your safe return home
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Pete and Nyla! Safe travels!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.