Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving on up North

Originally Posted by NiHao
I wanted to highlight this as I feel hairstyle is something that many of us have over looked when considering which town we will return to. I'm wondering whether the purchase of a wig might be a sensible investment allowing one the freedom to move from town to town without fear?
Yes, there is so much to consider when choosing a place to live happily ever after. I prefer hats to wigs, particularly on blustery days. Peru has splendid hats plus llamas. England has delightful cheeses and fine ales plus llamas. I saw 3 different flavours of llama in a single garden in Belstone village in Devon just last weekend.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:19 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

Fab thread completely enjoying the read, good luck moving further north.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

The check for renting the house failed, so we went to plan B and paid 6 months rent in advance. The estate agents that manage the let used Rentshield Direct for the checks. One problem was using a temporary address, here in Torrington. I had also included my previous permanent address in Canada, but I guess the current address is the one that counts. It might have been better not to have put the temporary address on the form, but they don't explain the details of the checking process so I don't know whether giving only the Canadian address would have helped. The other issue was the credit check, which was a problem because I have been out of the UK for 14 years.

There may be estate agents, letting agencies and private landlords that are more sensible when dealing with returning migrants, but for us the quickest way to resolve the problem was to pay 6 months rent, plus the deposit, in advance.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Default Car insurance

I was hoping that LV would accept foreign No Claims Discount. They bought Frizzells, the company that I used before moving to Canada. Frizzells used to insure a lot of civil servants some of whom would be posted abroad. They should be more willing to accept foreign NCD. No such luck. The only foreign NCD LV accept is for UK forces based in Germany. I was based in Germany at one time, but as I was less than a year old at the time I did very little driving.

Aviva are one of the few insurance companies that accept foreign NCD, but their quote was almost the same as the other companies that don't accept NCD.

Admiral offered what appeared to be a good price, until I noticed that it was only for 10 months cover. This does allow people to rebuild their NCD more quickly, but only if they stay with Admiral.

Axa have given the best quote so far for zero NCD.

I will try the farmers next (NFU Mutual). If I go with them I could get also get a discount on insurance for a muck spreader. Perfect for the city commuter.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know what NFU said because that is who OH has been with for years before we moved to Canada and did not need the muck spreader (probably did enough of his own mucking!) and they insured house, car everything and were very good and we plan to re-join them when we return.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Let us know what NFU said because that is who OH has been with for years before we moved to Canada and did not need the muck spreader (probably did enough of his own mucking!) and they insured house, car everything and were very good and we plan to re-join them when we return.
Anyone seen If1 around today? I'm sure that's who she went with when she came back from Canada, she could keep you right.

Pete - Are you sure you wouldn't consider a career change? The muck spreader would come in handy and I'm sure Nyla would love a bash at sheep herding or some such thing
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:06 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Anyone seen If1 around today? I'm sure that's who she went with when she came back from Canada, she could keep you right.

Pete - Are you sure you wouldn't consider a career change? The muck spreader would come in handy and I'm sure Nyla would love a bash at sheep herding or some such thing
Yes, Curleytops, NFU were one of the few that would insure me while using a Cdn drivers license and they accepted copies of my Cdn claims history and driving record. I don't imagine my premium is the cheapest out there, but some companies automatically dismissed me because I didn't have a UK lic.
I also liked the fact that I could speak to a person that listened and understood my situation, rather than someone just checking boxes.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Default Bought the farm insurance

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I am now insured with NFU Mutual. They accepted my Canadian No Claims history. But even with that NCD their price was still a little higher than Axa. There were 2 things that tipped the balance to NFU: They were happy to accept payment using my Canadian credit card and they were rated 1st out of 35 car insurance companies by Which.

(I have had no problems using my Canadian RBC credit card except for Axa, who wanted a card registered to a UK address.)

The cover from NFU cost me £462 for a year. That includes UK recovery with homestart and nationwide towing and protected no claims on a 6 year old Ford C Max family car. This price is based on the maximum 8 years no claims, so I assume it won't go down much in future years. Some of the quotes from other companies, such as Axa, were a similar price and would become cheaper as I build up no claims in the UK. So I could consider switching in future. Axa quoted £453 with zero no claims discount but they lost out because they wouldn't accept the Canadian credit card.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curleytops
But Nyla is half Cattle Dog. She can't handle sheep! She's quite smart but I think she would struggle to get through the sheep herding exams. Collies can do all that clever coming bye and away and lying down. Nyla prefers a head on charge.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:36 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the farm insurance

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
I am now insured with NFU Mutual. They accepted my Canadian No Claims history. But even with that NCD their price was still a little higher than Axa. There were 2 things that tipped the balance to NFU: They were happy to accept payment using my Canadian credit card and they were rated 1st out of 35 car insurance companies by Which.

(I have had no problems using my Canadian RBC credit card except for Axa, who wanted a card registered to a UK address.)

The cover from NFU cost me £462 for a year. That includes UK recovery with homestart and nationwide towing and protected no claims on a 6 year old Ford C Max family car. This price is based on the maximum 8 years no claims, so I assume it won't go down much in future years. Some of the quotes from other companies, such as Axa, were a similar price and would become cheaper as I build up no claims in the UK. So I could consider switching in future. Axa quoted £453 with zero no claims discount but they lost out because they wouldn't accept the Canadian credit card.
You may find your insurance goes down the first year or two, due to you having driving experience in the UK. Many UK insurers give you credit for overseas NCB, but they charge you a higher premium because you have been living/driving overseas.

Mine started like yours at about £450+ then went down to something like £200 over the first two years back.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:43 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I went with NFU as well because they took into account my US no claims and I was able to speak to a real person who was willing (and able) to talk to me without a script. I'm paying about the same as you for high business mileage.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I went with NFU as well because they took into account my US no claims and I was able to speak to a real person who was willing (and able) to talk to me without a script. I'm paying about the same as you for high business mileage.
The speaking to a real person is something they do emphasise in their current TV ads.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
You may find your insurance goes down the first year or two, due to you having driving experience in the UK. Many UK insurers give you credit for overseas NCB, but they charge you a higher premium because you have been living/driving overseas.

Mine started like yours at about £450+ then went down to something like £200 over the first two years back.
That's encouraging. Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 12:48 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

This is all very interesting stuff..thanks..i am returning in May and had budgeted 125 notes per month for car insurance..so looks like i was way off the mark should be more like 40-45 instead.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

that seems a lot for insurance. Do you have a UK license or just a Canadian one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.