Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Wikiposts

Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Originally Posted by manghams
Yeap, it took guts to come out here and it will take guts to go back, cut our losses and start again. http://www.mom2mom.ca/ipbb/style_emo.../default/7.gif Character building stuff I guess.
sometimes even more guts I think to return home...not because we don't want to go...I think you just know what you are going to go through to get there....(removals, finding jobs etc)..we were really naive when we came out...family and friends said later we were so brave...we never thought about it like that..it was just an adventure...boy oh boy I look now and think we deserved the VC.....we did not have a lot of money....no jobs...did not know a sole here in Aus and had never visited before...plus this was pre computer days.....just wish you could wabve a mojic wand and hey presto your back home in a dream area/job etc....but just being back home and settled will be wonderful...you live and learn (hopefully) and the old saying "older & wiser"...at this rate I should be brain of britain and the wisest old bird you'll ever likely to meet!!!! well I can still dream........
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:19 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Hi
My advice FWIW would be to book lots of things to do - and do them, especially the things you couldnt do so easilly in Oz, like weekend breaks, Ryanair abroad, footie matches, theatre, gigs - whatever is your interest.
We were discussing this the other day. When you are gearing up to move abroad, you often get so consumed in that proceess you do little else and are in limboland, so you get bored and think by moving you will have more to do. Then, if it doesnt work out and you have to go back (or want to), you go back into limboland in the other direction. I reckon we spent about 4 yrs in limboland and I was determined to get out of the rut I had created. So, its something different every week - even if its just to catch up on an old mate - Sometimes hard work, but I really dont want to get back into old habits again.
But do put things in a calander and buy those tickets in advance else its easy have a "lazy day" and think, i wont do anything this week.
Good luck with your move back
C

Just completed our 43rd flight in 3 years since returning from Vancouver.

Mind you, i'd go back tomorrow.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Just completed our 43rd flight in 3 years since returning from Vancouver.

Mind you, i'd go back tomorrow.
How do you fit some many flights in?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
How do you fit some many flights in?
How can they afford so many flights....whats your secret?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naryamente
No need to be rude.

Sometimes, when faced with a truth that will not go away, we are motivated more clearly; the whos, whys, wheres and whens don't seem to matter, and it's a kick in the right direction.

Apologies for perhaps telling you something you already knew.

no worries!!! Just that stating the obvious is never that helpful!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:05 am
Flags! Yeah!! Wooooooooo!

Naryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really nice

To some, the obvious is only obvious in hindsight.
No harm done.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

when you get back to the UK you might get the 'everything is TOO familiar and nothing has changed and i dont like that' feeling.

If so take trips out to new parts of the UK, when i first moved back and was feeling a bit down I found that trips to new areas with different accents/ landscape/wildlife/ attitudes/foods/even the different ITV set up is a nice break from over familiarity and was really uplifting.

Lets just say thatif you are from say blackburn in lancashire and you take a trip to cornwall or east anglia, you get quite a different feeling, in fact people might say to you 'oh, your not from round here are you?' its quite funny as after being in another country it seems so quaint that you can get that with a simple drive. sure the UK has some issues but the countryside as a healer is on the doorstep as are those little pubs IN the countryside!!

on a couple of occasions we rented cottages in devon in the middle of nowhere and despite some rather crappy weather i found myself enjoying those weeks like never before, drinking local cider, eating the local 'white pudding' (just what the hell is white pudding??? I thought when i went to the butchers) hiking on dartmoor dog and all, all a pleasant and 'softer' time than in the small towns of lancashire.

Last edited by bugman; Feb 23rd 2008 at 12:55 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
when you get back to the UK you might get the 'everything is TOO familiar and nothing has changed and i dont like that' feeling.

If so take trips out to new parts of the UK, when i first moved back and was feeling a bit down I found that trips to new areas with different accents/ landscape/wildlife/ attitudes/foods/even the different ITV set up is a nice break from over familiarity and was really uplifting.

Lets just say thatif you are from say blackburn in lancashire and you take a trip to cornwall or east anglia, you get quite a different feeling, in fact people might say to you 'oh, your not from round here are you?' its quite funny as after being in another country it seems so quaint that you can get that with a simple drive. sure the UK has some issues but the countryside as a healer is on the doorstep as are those little pubs IN the countryside!!

on a couple of occasions we rented cottages in devon in the middle of nowhere and despite some rather crappy weather i found myself enjoying those weeks like never before, drinking local cider, eating the local 'white pudding' (just what the hell is white pudding??? I thought when i went to the butchers) hiking on dartmoor dog and all, all a pleasant and 'softer' time than in the small towns of lancashire.
Cant wait!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

"Just completed our 43rd flight in 3 years since returning from Vancouver".

That's one massive carbon footprint!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

manyoo will become famous soon enoughmanyoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gibbo29
After 2 years of living in Sydney, my boyf and i have decided to move back to the UK. We absolutely love it here but have reached the next stage of our relationship (i.e. marriage/kids/house) and cant imagine doing that without our families around us...

All our friends here think we are mad and think we will regret it (and sometimes i think they are right). The scary thing is we cant come back here if we dont like it. (we went to see a migration lawyer and we dont have enough points for an easy return etc)

But anyway - we've made the decision and will get back to the midlands in August this year.

Does anyone have any tips for making the whole process easier? and not missing Aus so much?
If you miss home go now I've been in Australia 15 years and have just come to the conclusion that my emptiness I feel is the loss of loved ones over the years and missing my remaining family like mad. I am taking our 2 boys back both born in Aus before they get older and hold me back here. I've missed so much and I can't bear to think what I would feel if I lost my mother as I did my father whilst stuck in this country. I miss the laughter between my siblings and I've missed weddings funerals and my nephews and nieces growing up mot knowing me. I can't stand to miss any more....I am sick of the empty feeling in my gut.....go home is my advice and appreciate your family they are sooooo important to you and your future family. Aus is great I won't slag it off but it is not home even after 15 years and it never wiol be for me!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alentejo joe
truth hurts
Very suited to Australia-Has no real opinion of his own-plus whats so safe here? We are on an island full of hooning kids, drugs, petrol pinching, the locals live in fear! OH YES A GREAT PLACE TO BRING UP CHILDREN! Everyone is saying LEAVE.......Should I go on? Not mention the riots in Sydney, graffiti.....etc etc Its the people and family they want to be with- don't u get it? What a moron-AGAIN QUITE SUITED TO AUSTRALIA FIT RIGHT IN!

As the others have said don't post unless u have something constructive to say-its not easy going back I assure u-
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alentejo joe
and wot do you know about the uk at the moment, that puts your insert pic into perspective
Cant spell either. Again, fits in perfectly with the Australian intellectuals
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
Cant spell either. Again, fits in perfectly with the Australian intellectuals
I have just realized he is gone!! Good....

Look for me personally I have a VERY sad story living here and I dont really want to go into that now-Basically it comes down to where u feel u belong no matter how hard it is or the weather! I feel I dont belong here I have been here since I was 12 and it feels as foreign now as it did back when I came through Sydney harbour-I have family here AND the UK-its very diificult-3 of us want to go but my son wants to stay because of the family-we have said when u are old enough u can come back-So cant simply dismiss Australia but I really do WANT TO!

U have to sit down and say where do I feel "me" If its the UK great-it wont be easy we wont have money as we have spent it on land but we are going to live on the canals and hopefully find piece at last....

Please please dont wait 35 years like I did
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

manyoo will become famous soon enoughmanyoo will become famous soon enough

Good luck to you. 35yrs same as me.If I had had the money I would have been gone years ago.Still....going to give it a try even though we are scared and obviously concerned that things work out.regards.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by manyoo
Good luck to you. 35yrs same as me.If I had had the money I would have been gone years ago.Still....going to give it a try even though we are scared and obviously concerned that things work out.regards.
Really.... Yes well.... why have we left it so long? I mean the term "flogging a dead horse" comes to mind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.