Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

any advice in getting 4yr old into a good school

any advice in getting 4yr old into a good school

Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any advice in getting 4yr old into a good school

Having not lived in the UK for over 10 years, a brief reminder of the school system would be most useful. In my youth, there were Infants-Primary-Secondary, the latter being 11plus. What is the age range for the others? Mine will be 5yo in a couple of days and we expect to return in April/May.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having not lived in the UK for over 10 years, a brief reminder of the school system would be most useful. In my youth, there were Infants-Primary-Secondary, the latter being 11plus. What is the age range for the others? Mine will be 5yo in a couple of days and we expect to return in April/May.
It's still the same as always, infants and junior (together known as primary) and secondary. The confusion for me is the years. When I was a kid the first year at secondary was called 'first year' and your last years where in the sixth form. Now they count it right from the start so first year secondary is called year 7 and you finish in year 12.

Then to confuse things further, they have these things called 'key stages' which are used to monitor a child and the schools performance. I think, but am not entirely sure, that key stage one is the end of infant level (ie the first two years) and two is the end of junior level. My daughter has gone through the system and I still don't really understand all this jargon.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart

Just be aware that not all schools have infants/juniors together in one school. My daughter went to an infant school (early years - year 2) then went to another school called Junior School (yr3 - yr6), then had we been in the UK she would have gone to High School (yr7 - yr12).

Infants and Junior schools together are known as combined schools.

But yr11 & 12 is 6th form studies so not compulsory (unless the law has changed) - and you can choose college instead (not 100% sure on that one though).

11 plus is not available in all counties. It was where I lived and if the child passes they get to go to grammar school if they want but don't have to.

Just to confuse the issue some counties also have a system whereby the kids go through infants/junior and then instead of High School at age 11 they got to what is called Middle School from the ages of 11 -13 then on to High School from age 13. Personally I think that is a good idea as the transition for an 11 year from a junior school to High school must be quite nerve racking.

Key Stage 2 is for Yr 6 testing. BUT I read in the UK press that Ed (NO) Balls the Education Minister has scrapped SATS. About bloody time I say.

Last edited by crystal23; Oct 19th 2008 at 11:45 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:12 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi in MY area which is North Lincolnshire....Mostly the lrge villages have Primary schools, where infants and juniors are combined. But i have noticed in the main area town here, they have started knocking down, infant and junior schools and building a New larger school to combine the 2 into primaries.

My Twins who are now both 12, started in the reception class at the village Primary at just turned 4 and then went into yr 1.

I have heard that they are going to change the leaving age for schools to 18, but not sure when this is coming into affect.