Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another one wanting to go back

Another one wanting to go back

Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one wanting to go back

Had a long chat with hubby all last night and most of today. I asked him if he'd even consider going to the UK when he retires. He's got 10 years left til he can retire as he's quite a bit older than me. It was an emphatic no! We do have other issues going on but I think most of it is from me being totally miserable here. He's really not a bad guy and it's not like he held a gun to my head to make me move here but it's just not the right place for me. I'm miserable which is making him miserable which doesn't make for a happy marriage.

We've just been to the bank to separate accounts. Total bummer as it's a week til pay day for me and I only have $2 to my name!

Sarah and Kate where will you be moving to?

Megan's Mum so sorry to hear that your marriage broke up and there was a kid involved. Hugs.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:31 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
I don't really care, at least not at first. Thought I'd gravitate to NW of London (around Luton) so I could commute to London if I needed to, and also be within reasonable striking distance of Oxford and Cambridge, as the plan at the moment is to get a job in the publishing business.

One thing about living in the US (I'm sure true of Oz too) is that driving 50 miles or an hour-and-a-half commute doesn't seem like a big deal--at least here in Texas.

Before I came to the US I lived near Guildford, near Skegness, Leeds, near Worcester, and Dundee. Most important thing for me is to live where there are trees . . .

Sarah in TX

Last edited by SarahInTX; Jul 6th 2007 at 8:31 am. Reason: Oops. Of course Luton is NW of London . . .
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Had a long chat with hubby all last night and most of today. I asked him if he'd even consider going to the UK when he retires. He's got 10 years left til he can retire as he's quite a bit older than me. It was an emphatic no! We do have other issues going on but I think most of it is from me being totally miserable here. He's really not a bad guy and it's not like he held a gun to my head to make me move here but it's just not the right place for me. I'm miserable which is making him miserable which doesn't make for a happy marriage.

We've just been to the bank to separate accounts. Total bummer as it's a week til pay day for me and I only have $2 to my name!

Megan's Mum so sorry to hear that your marriage broke up and there was a kid involved. Hugs.
I'm so sorry to here that. You've made a brave decision...shown how strong you are and now you are ready to embark on the next chapter of your life.

For all those moving back on their own...I wish you all the very best.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
One thing about living in the US (I'm sure true of Oz too) is that driving 50 miles or an hour-and-a-half commute doesn't seem like a big deal--at least here in Texas.
You're right about that. I have a 50 mile commute to work and husband has 100 miles each way. Course the price of petrol is cheaper but then again I'm making less than half of what I made at home. In fact I'm making less than my niece makes at her Sat job at Clarks Shoes
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm so sorry to here that. You've made a brave decision...shown how strong you are and now you are ready to embark on the next chapter of your life.

For all those moving back on their own...I wish you all the very best.
Thanks for that.

Doesn't seem at all brave though. Seems the opposite like I couldn't stick it out or something. I'm having a feeling sorry for myself day but have raided my change jar, gone out and got some St John's Wort and have a bottle of wine to telly drunk with my bessie mate from home later.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Just arrive at the airport dressed like this and you can join the chav club - thankfully they are limited to certain areas and can be avoided

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q66/angdx/chav.jpg

bloody hell, had to do a double take when i saw this pic, thought someone had been taking secret pics of me on my way to work!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:30 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes when I'm analysing why I feel the way I do, I wonder if just another part of the US wouldn't just be better than here. Not really sure where I'd suggest, but do you think there's a compromise place where you (and hubby) could be happier?

Stay strong, either way.

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Not really sure where I'd suggest, but do you think there's a compromise place where you (and hubby) could be happier?

Stay strong, either way.

Sarah in TX
Hubby won't leave the area. His job ties him to here and it's a field where it's really hard to get jobs, especially now that he's 54. I can't blame him for that and I think if I were to move within the US it would just be the same shit with a different view.