Advice please

Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

susan66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice please

Yes, oh bugger!

He's having a good think about all his options. His number one choice is Canada and then Bournemouth university as he wants to study animation. France also have good universities for animation. I sincerely hope your son does well in which ever country he finally chooses.

At least my daughters will have it more easy when they finally apply for university if we continue living in Cyprus til they finish school which is another 6 years.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:42 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Does your son speak French?

I lived in France for 11 years and as far as I know there aren't any undergrad courses that teach in english. Is your son studying for the International Baccalaureat?

If he wanted to browse english language undergrad courses in the EU there are several guides available.

Good luck to you all. Let us know how you're getting on.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

No he doesn't speak French but he wants to learn......he knows what he wants its just choosing a university/ country that he will feel comfortable in. He is researching a lot so hopefully even if he has to pay as an overseas student fee so be it. Daddy will have to work a bit harder to pay the fees!!

Take care, best of luck to you and your son also.

Regards,

Susan.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Why doesn't he defer for a year, if, like PF states, he would be eligible for home fees once he has been resident in Cyrus for 3 yrs. A lot of UK students have a gap year before they commence college.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjmb
Why doesn't he defer for a year, if, like PF states, he would be eligible for home fees once he has been resident in Cyrus for 3 yrs. A lot of UK students have a gap year before they commence college.
He is also keeping this as an option. Thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

this is the relevant info
UKCISA - England: Higher Education - Fee status in England: Higher Education

You know Susan, it might be worth having a little chat with the admissions people. He's only 5 months off the residency requirement, lean heavily on the fact that he is actually British ( I know, I know...please don't have a go at me, it's just a suggestion!), tell them that you may have to defer for a year and then he'll get residency anyway, that he'll qualify for residency in his second year anyway. You never know, people seem to have got the overseas fees waived for weaker reasons.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

He could take a gap year and start Uni a year later. Then he meets the 3 year rule.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
He could take a gap year and start Uni a year later. Then he meets the 3 year rule.
Agreed, that is the best bet.
Either take a gap year or go to a university inside the EU but outside the British Isles.

A gap year is a good idea anyway, in my opinion. As long as something constructive (or at least industrious) is done with the year. The gap year could be spent anywhere in the EU. Maybe also a part-time workload with the Open University in the field of study - so as to get a good start in the field and so get more out of university when the time comes. That would be especially valuable for a student who is not one of the most capable students. Or spend the year in France, Spain or Germany learning the language.

As an aside it is interesting how many people who spent many "sand happy" years in Arabia end up living in Cyprus. Isn't it?

Last edited by holly_1948; Jan 23rd 2016 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Agreed, that is the best bet.
Either take a gap year or go to a university inside the EU but outside the British Isles.

A gap year is a good idea anyway, in my opinion. As long as something constructive (or at least industrious) is done with the year. The gap year could be spent anywhere in the EU. Maybe also a part-time workload with the Open University in the field of study - so as to get a good start in the field and so get more out of university when the time comes. That would be especially valuable for a student who is not one of the most capable students. Or spend the year in France, Spain or Germany learning the language.

As an aside it is interesting how many people who spent many "sand happy" years in Arabia end up living in Cyprus. Isn't it?

Thank you Holly for your reply. I'm sure he will make the right decision. I have mentioned the gap year and is considering.

I chose Cyprus as its not too difficult to fly back to visit my husband and kids don't feel too far away from him. It's an easy country to adjust to and no extra language to learn