Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for move to England from US

Advice needed for move to England from US

Old May 14th 2024, 4:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed for move to England from US

Originally Posted by A Bit Cheeky
.... I have to say I'm more inclined to just sign a lease.....
You may be underestimating the challenge you face. Having a dog will make finding a landlord willing to rent to you considerably harder, likely excluding you entirely from the rental market in locations where there is high demand, and leaving you with only less desirable locations and/ or properties.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2024 at 4:15 am.
Old May 14th 2024, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

A Bit Cheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You may be underestimating the challenge you face. Having a dog will make finding a landlord willing to rent to you considerably harder, likely excluding you entirely from the rental market in locations where there is high demand, and leaving you with only less desirable locations and/ or properties.
Thanks for your kind and thoughtful advice. Perhaps I should just give my dog away right now or completely give up my years long wish to live in England.
Old May 14th 2024, 4:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful advice. Perhaps I should just give my dog away right now or completely give up my years long wish to live in England.
You can do whatever you want based on the advice you receive. Personally, if I was in your situation I would want honest advice, not platitudes, and knowing that I can't just expect to rock up with my dog and be allowed to rent any home I might choose, and that my options might be significantly restricted because of my dog, would be information I would want to know. "Forewarned is forearmed", you know.

You're aware, I assume, that it is likely to cost $2,000-$2,500 to transport your dog to the UK.
Old May 14th 2024, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

A Bit Cheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can do whatever you want based on the advice you receive. Personally, if I was in your situation I would want honest advice, not platitudes, and knowing that I can't just expect to rock up with my dog and be allowed to rent any home I might choose, and that my options might be significantly restricted because of my dog, would be information I would want to know. "Forewarned is forearmed", you know.

You're aware, I assume, that it is likely to cost $2,000-$2,500 to transport your dog to the UK.
I am very aware of the potential difficulties and the costs involved transporting an animal and all the requirements involved. I wish you would stop with all this negativity because it's upsetting and unnecessary. I'm not stupid person, BTW, as you seem to think. And your tone is very harsh instead of kind and helpful. It's like you've got some kind of attitude towards me for some reason. SO, if you can't say anything nice, please say nothing at all.
Old May 14th 2024, 5:08 am

I am very aware of the potential difficulties and the costs involved transporting an animal and all the requirements involved. I wish you would stop with all this negativity because it's upsetting and unnecessary. I'm not stupid person, BTW, as you seem to think. And your tone is very harsh instead of kind and helpful. It's like you've got some kind of attitude towards me for some reason. SO, if you can't say anything nice, please say nothing at all.
The attitude is all in your head. All I have tried to do is post objectively useful information for you, not sugar-coated blather. I'm sorry if you expected cheerleader advice, but that's not what I deal in.

I have no doubt you are capable of fulfilling your dream, but you need to know the challenges you face, and just telling you "Go for it, everything will be great!" wouldn't be doing you any favours, whether you recognise that or not. Like I said, forewarned is forearmed.

BTW this is a public forum and you don't get to choose what (civil and helpful) advice you receive. The moderators will remove rude and offensive posts, but after 22 years, I am comfortable that I am well within the accepted limits for my posts and advice.

As a dog lover myself I wish you both all the best in your adventures moving to the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2024 at 5:13 am.
Old May 14th 2024, 5:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from those who suggest temp living arrangements. I have to say I'm more inclined to just sign a lease for a year and look around while living in a stable place. I do not like airbnb type places at all.
On AirBnB you can rent an entire house, bungalow, flat etc. It’s no different to a normal rental but just a lot more flexible and easier to get, although usually more expensive.

Trying to rent somewhere on a long term rent from abroad could be tricky. The rental market is crazy in a lot of the UK, I don’t know what Cheshire is like but for my rentals (south east and south west of England), I’d expect a lot applications within a week of listing it, and can then pick and choose between them.

FWIW, as a landlady I’d happily take a tenant with a dog. But a combination of being overseas, no credit score, no landlord references, and any pet would mean you’d be a long way down my list of applicants in all honesty.

So you may find a short term rental is your only option, or at least worth having as a ‘Plan B’ in case you can’t find anything longer term.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 14th 2024 at 5:26 am.
Old May 14th 2024, 5:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its not negativity, its realism, Pulaski has been helping posters on this site for many years and knows what he's talking about on both sides of the Atlantic. We don't always see eye to eye but I respect his opinions!

And you will probably view my contribution in the same manner as you did his, but I'm just telling you as it is......firstly, returning to Somerset, its a good area, peaceful countryside, a few expensive tourist spots, but you could do a lot worse choosing somewhere to live. Don't rely on one statistic, there aren't many towns in the county, and the overall crimes in the area will be totally different, in number and in type of crime, from one of the larger cities elsewhere in the country. Somewhere like Lancashire maybe, or West Midlands, is likely to have a more violent crime rate, though I still doubt it would match Chicago

My other note is regarding a rental. I came home from Australia last year and got a flat to rent before I returned. BUT I had intimate knowledge of the area, down to knowing good v bad streets. I had talked to estate agents here in person and by email. I had a UK bank account with funds in it, a previous rental history in the city, and property-owning family here willing to be guarantors if necessary (not needed in the end). I had no job to come to, and no dog! To be honest I think you would need to get here, have a short-term rental like a holiday cottage or AirBnB lined up, then get stuff done like opening a bank account, as that will strengthen your rental application. And the very fact of BEING here and talking to agents face to face will help immensely. And honestly, would you really want to rent a property long-term when you now nothing about the area you are moving to?

Don't give up just because we are pointing out possible problems. Moving countries is a big task and you need to take the rough with the smooth
Old May 14th 2024, 6:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not negativity, its realism, Pulaski has been helping posters on this site for many years and knows what he's talking about on both sides of the Atlantic. We don't always see eye to eye but I respect his opinions!

And you will probably view my contribution in the same manner as you did his, but I'm just telling you as it is......firstly, returning to Somerset, its a good area, peaceful countryside, a few expensive tourist spots, but you could do a lot worse choosing somewhere to live. Don't rely on one statistic, there aren't many towns in the county, and the overall crimes in the area will be totally different, in number and in type of crime, from one of the larger cities elsewhere in the country. Somewhere like Lancashire maybe, or West Midlands, is likely to have a more violent crime rate, though I still doubt it would match Chicago

My other note is regarding a rental. I came home from Australia last year and got a flat to rent before I returned. BUT I had intimate knowledge of the area, down to knowing good v bad streets. I had talked to estate agents here in person and by email. I had a UK bank account with funds in it, a previous rental history in the city, and property-owning family here willing to be guarantors if necessary (not needed in the end). I had no job to come to, and no dog! To be honest I think you would need to get here, have a short-term rental like a holiday cottage or AirBnB lined up, then get stuff done like opening a bank account, as that will strengthen your rental application. And the very fact of BEING here and talking to agents face to face will help immensely. And honestly, would you really want to rent a property long-term when you now nothing about the area you are moving to?

Don't give up just because we are pointing out possible problems. Moving countries is a big task and you need to take the rough with the smooth

With many, many years in the US, we found it impossible to rent while still in Chicago and no UK bank account, credit history etc. And I even had a UK-based job. There was just too much competition from people who were right there. We got an Air bnb that would take a cat and took it from there.
Old May 14th 2024, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved back from Spain we had only been gone 5 years, but we found it so much easier to rent from the agents who had sold our house when we moved to Spain, we obviously had a record with them, other people we knew were finding it hard and even had to pay 6 months rental in advance. If you do start in an AirBnB then one of the first things to do is to get yourself on the electoral roll as that's one place that rental companies do check, and if you are there it's a tick in your favour. We did that the day after arriving in the UK.
Old May 14th 2024, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
With many, many years in the US, we found it impossible to rent while still in Chicago and no UK bank account, credit history etc. And I even had a UK-based job. There was just too much competition from people who were right there. We got an Air bnb that would take a cat and took it from there.
Originally Posted by mikelincs
When we moved back from Spain we had only been gone 5 years, but we found it so much easier to rent from the agents who had sold our house when we moved to Spain, we obviously had a record with them, other people we knew were finding it hard and even had to pay 6 months rental in advance. If you do start in an AirBnB then one of the first things to do is to get yourself on the electoral roll as that's one place that rental companies do check, and if you are there it's a tick in your favour. We did that the day after arriving in the UK.
I honestly think that one of the main things that went in my favour was that when I visited in the October I went round a lot of agents, introduced myself, explained the circumstances etc. Thus when I saw properties I liked, and sent enquiry emails, they knew who they were talking to, and knew that I was very familiar with the local area, and its many quirks, bit to avoid etc! Most also seemed surprised that I was willing to take the trouble to visit, but said it did help to know my background and that definitely smoothed the way in the end as they knew I was "real" and a genuine enquirer! Think the fact I still had my bank account - and had visited the branch while home on the fact-finding trip - helped. I did offer 6 months upfront, or family as guarantors, but in the end didn't need either.

Totally agree about the electoral roll, one of the most important things to do, no matter how temporary the address may be.
Old May 14th 2024, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski is absolutely right to impress upon you the severity of the situation in the private rentals market in the UK.
I’m sitting here with my morning coffee and already they’re talking about it (again) on the BBC.
I have 2 small rental houses and these days my poor tenants contact me months before the lease renewal date to see if I’m planning to renew. Such is their fear that, like many landlords, I might be thinking of selling. So even if you do find a long term rental, you’re always going to have that insecurity hanging over you.
I would definitely, therefore, put my stuff in storage, move into an Airbnb and use that as a base from which to buy.

Old May 14th 2024, 6:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Pulaski is absolutely right to impress upon you the severity of the situation in the private rentals market in the UK.
I’m sitting here with my morning coffee and already they’re talking about it (again) on the BBC.
I have 2 small rental houses and these days my poor tenants contact me months before the lease renewal date to see if I’m planning to renew. Such is their fear that, like many landlords, I might be thinking of selling. So even if you do find a long term rental, you’re always going to have that insecurity hanging over you.
I would definitely, therefore, put my stuff in storage, move into an Airbnb and use that as a base from which to buy.

Here is one article from today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxr33l9dx0yo

It's very difficult. Definitely people should be here, or have visited as Pollyanna did. And if renting, with a lump sum to pay upfront.

Edit to add - it's not like the US rental market AT ALL, which is much bigger and far less tight with a constant supply of properties. Mr Cheeky, do take this into account.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 14th 2024 at 6:13 pm.
Old May 14th 2024, 7:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent many years since returning to the UK fostering dogs that have been rescued from many different situations. A healthy, socialised foster dog will generally be adopted fairly quickly and adjust to its new surroundings. As much as I think the dogs I foster fall in love with me, after they are adopted they don't sit pining for me.

I also (a long time ago, or so it feels) transported my own adult dog to the UK, and she lived a happy life romping the hills and mountains of Scotland with me. (However, see my comments below)

I recount these two things because I think you should consider the possibility of finding a new home for your puppy, via a rescue agency. Dogs are turned into rescue for many reasons and no rescue agency will judge you for giving up a dog - they want the best thing for the dog. In this situation, the best thing for your puppy may not be the trials of a transatlantic journey, followed by living in a home situation that is far from ideal (again, from my experience, I was taken by surprise at how much more difficult it is in the UK to have a dog when you live alone and are working).

You could always find a rescue dog in the UK after you have settled and figured out how to incorporate having a dog with working full-time.
Old May 15th 2024, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've spent many years since returning to the UK fostering dogs that have been rescued from many different situations. A healthy, socialised foster dog will generally be adopted fairly quickly and adjust to its new surroundings. As much as I think the dogs I foster fall in love with me, after they are adopted they don't sit pining for me.

I also (a long time ago, or so it feels) transported my own adult dog to the UK, and she lived a happy life romping the hills and mountains of Scotland with me. (However, see my comments below)

I recount these two things because I think you should consider the possibility of finding a new home for your puppy, via a rescue agency. Dogs are turned into rescue for many reasons and no rescue agency will judge you for giving up a dog - they want the best thing for the dog. In this situation, the best thing for your puppy may not be the trials of a transatlantic journey, followed by living in a home situation that is far from ideal (again, from my experience, I was taken by surprise at how much more difficult it is in the UK to have a dog when you live alone and are working).

You could always find a rescue dog in the UK after you have settled and figured out how to incorporate having a dog with working full-time.
What a lovely idea. To foster dogs, I mean.
When our cat died a few years ago, we deliberately didn't get another one because we knew there was the possibility of a big move to the UK and that having a pet would only add another layer of complication to an already fraught process.
Getting another dog when you know you're planning to move countries seems like a strange decision to me. To be honest, it makes me wonder how serious the person really is about making the move.

Old May 15th 2024, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Helen1964
.... Getting another dog when you know you're planning to move countries seems like a strange decision to me. To be honest, it makes me wonder how serious the person really is about making the move.
It probably hadn't even occurred to them that it would be much of an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.