Advice needed for move to England from US

Advice needed for move to England from US

Old May 11th 2024, 4:49 am
EHM
Just Joined

EHM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed for move to England from US

Originally Posted by A Bit Cheeky
Here I am again, over a year after starting this thread, still in the US. A lot has happened since, and I now really want to go in the next 2 months.
My little older dog passed away and I now have a small puppy.
Please help me decide where to move.
I have been trying to decide where to move for literally years.
I have dual citizenship US and Irish. Never been out of the US. 70 years old, alone except for my little dog. I'll be moving alone and not going to anyone, wanting to start a new chapter, getting involved with community and having many of the things I have here in a suburb of Chicago-shopping, medical care, vet, good roads.
I want to rent a house - bungalow, one level in a good area. I work independently and remotely so I need good internet.
Healthcare is important and good ambulance service just in case.
I'm not visiting first, just getting off a plane and going to the place I rent beforehand.
Please give your best advice people...I have to decide and get on with it.
I've been looking into Cheshire.

Thanks in advance.
Honestly, the chances of you being in the 'right' geographic area from day 1 are pretty slim, especially without visiting first. Depending on which Chicago suburb you are comparing to, you might actually find that everything you want/need is in South Ealing (London) or maybe it's all in Durham. Or Dublin. And quality of healthcare can be incredibly localized (GP Surgery by GP Surgery.) I'm envious of your willingness to leap into the unknown, but suggest you temper your expectations for your immediate landing spot. Maybe start with your housing budget and one or two other essential criteria eg if you have specific health concerns (heart? GI?) then try to narrow down where the best consultants/hospitals are for those (your current health providers could probably offer some guidance.) Use those limited criteria to find a landing spot (Airbnb, rented accommodation); use that landing spot as a base for exploring the area or for looking elsewhere if you find that something essential is missing.
Old May 13th 2024, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others, get yourself an AirBnB for a month or two first, and then see if you like the area enough to commit to rent there. If you have never even left the US, you could be in for a huge culture shock and end up hating it and wanting to move back or to move elsewhere in the UK. So I wouldn't rent a house you've never seen unless you know the area well, it could turn out to be a very expensive mistake.

I'd slow it down a bit, get over there but use temporary accommodation first in the area you think you might like to move to. Then you'll have time to explore a bit and find somewhere that really suits you.

Good luck.
Old May 13th 2024, 1:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I am hoping to move within the next 3-6 months from the US. I've not been to the UK and I don't necessarily plan to make a trip beforehand if I can avoid the expense.
I'm a US/Irish dual citizen. I have an older dog that will come with me. I am in my 60s, work as an independent contractor, and also have some health issues but nothing that will stand in the way of making this move.
I would like to rent a nice bungalow in a good area with trees and parks. I don't want to be in a crowded city, nor do I want to be out in the country. I want to be near a vet, doctor's offices, and a good hospital just in case. And good shopping is very important.
In terms of my finances, I would say I'm in the middle to upper class here in the US.

I am concerned about things I hear in the news about the state of the NHS, ambulances, cost of living, strikes, shortages, crime, but I feel if I choose the right location I'll be fine.

I would love to get some advice and recommendations from anyone.

Thanks in advance.
Have a look at Taunton, seems to fulfill your requirements, can't give any info on vets though as I don't have a pet.
Old May 13th 2024, 1:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Have a look at Taunton, seems to fulfill your requirements, can't give any info on vets though as I don't have a pet.
Family member was in hospital in Taunton for heart issues recently. Spent about 3 weeks in there and was very impressed. Said he was tempted to stay longer just for the good meals they gave him! He's usually incredible critical of anything government related so this is a pretty good recommendation.
Old May 13th 2024, 5:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

IMO you goofed by immediately replacing your sadly departed dog with a puppy. Moving alone, and finding short-term rented accommodation, would have been considerably cheaper and easier than moving with a dog. Once settled you could have got yourself a new dog.
Old May 13th 2024, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

A Bit Cheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

What an insensitive, useless thing to say.
Old May 13th 2024, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old May 13th 2024, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Taunton is the second most dangerous major town in Somerset,

Last edited by A Bit Cheeky; May 13th 2024 at 7:59 am.
Old May 13th 2024, 10:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Family member was in hospital in Taunton for heart issues recently. Spent about 3 weeks in there and was very impressed. Said he was tempted to stay longer just for the good meals they gave him! He's usually incredible critical of anything government related so this is a pretty good recommendation.
Yes, the food was pretty good, even though I was somewhat limited as to what I was allowed having had bowel surgery.
Old May 13th 2024, 10:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You live in the Chicago area (as I did, for many years) and Taunton looks dangerous to you?

Honestly, you'll be fine.
Old May 14th 2024, 12:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, the food was pretty good, even though I was somewhat limited as to what I was allowed having had bowel surgery.
Ah, not so much fun then

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You live in the Chicago area (as I did, for many years) and Taunton looks dangerous to you?

Honestly, you'll be fine.
I can't stop sorry 'A Bit Cheeky' but just what do you imagine Somerset is like?

Must send this to my relative, he is the first to admit he has rather a "colourful and eventful" past life and he will just crease up laughing at the thought of Taunton being a dangerous hotspot!
TBH if someone is worried about anywhere in Somerset being "dangerous" when compared to the likes of Chicago, they should forget the whole of the UK straightaway!

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2024 at 12:34 am.
Old May 14th 2024, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Ah, not so much fun then

I can't stop sorry 'A Bit Cheeky' but just what do you imagine Somerset is like?

Must send this to my relative, he is the first to admit he has rather a "colourful and eventful" past life and he will just crease up laughing at the thought of Taunton being a dangerous hotspot!
TBH if someone is worried about anywhere in Somerset being "dangerous" when compared to the likes of Chicago, they should forget the whole of the UK straightaway!
I just copied info from a crime statistics site. I don't know anything.
Old May 14th 2024, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I just copied info from a crime statistics site. I don't know anything.
Thought maybe you'd been ODing on Midsomer Murders.

Old May 14th 2024, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Good advice from those who suggest temp living arrangements. I have to say I'm more inclined to just sign a lease for a year and look around while living in a stable place. I do not like airbnb type places at all.

Last edited by A Bit Cheeky; May 14th 2024 at 3:31 am. Reason: Addition
Old May 14th 2024, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Helen

Last edited by A Bit Cheeky; May 14th 2024 at 3:46 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.