Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Old May 21st 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Originally Posted by michali
I am still not clear on our entitlement to NHS, especially hospital care. My husband, a non-EU person, did not live in the UK for ten years but he does receive a state pension, albeit very small, by way of having worked there for several years. I realize that with the passing of the Immigration Bill, things may well change to limit his access to the NHS and this is why, in many ways, I would be happy if they were to charge a levy on each person on a spouse visa. I think it would solve a lot of problems and would eliminate the uncertainty of entitlement.
The Immigration Billl that became law on 14 May 2014, does now mean that some will now not be given free NHS anymore. From reading the relevant part of that new law, it seems the NHS levy they talked about is for international students and their families (if they are allowed to bring their dependents with them now under the immigration changes). These people will pay extra for their visas.

Those who will not be given free NHS in future, is still rather vague. They did state that some expensive medical treatments may now not be free for immigrants. They also said that most free A&E treatment for all, will now end.

Last edited by formula; May 21st 2014 at 11:06 am.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
The Immigration Billl that became law on 14 May 2014, does now mean that some will now not be given free NHS anymore. From reading the relevant part of that new law, it seems the NHS levy they talked about is for international students and their families (if they are allowed to bring their dependents with them now under the immigration changes). These people will pay extra for their visas.

Those who will not be given free NHS in future, is still rather vague. They did state that some expensive medical treatments may now not be free for immigrants. They also said that most free A&E treatment for all, will now end.
I agree formula, the Immigration Bill isn't crystal clear in this regard, it's seems that there's a provision to exclude certain treatments but no mention yet of what those treatments may be.

After my previous post, I went hunting for the UK govt. info I'd previously read and couldn't find it. I then read the Bill and have changed my mind about people on spouse visas being exempt from the health levy, I don't believe they are.

From my reading, it's only spouses who have ILR that have free access to NHS. So I, and Michali's husband (and of course everyone else in the same situation!) will need to pay 200 pounds per year, for the 5 years it takes to receive ILR. This adds 1,000 pounds to the current (approximate) fees of 2,500 pounds required to go through the three stages to ILR (initial entry, further leave to remain, indefinite leave to remain). So around 3,500 pounds all up.

There are a few exemptions, such as asylum seekers, but the Bill specifically states that people who are on initial leave to enter visas, and those on further leave to remain visas, will pay the health levy - so that's 'us' (spouse visa applicants/holders).
Old May 21st 2014, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Seems so SOS! It is important to factor in the additional costs but if, in fact, a levy of $200 is charged, that is a reasonable amount I think. I cannot find the actual Act right now but it must be there but the breakdown is given as:

"The bill will benefit:
British citizens and non EEA migrants with permanent residence will continue to have the same access to NHS care as they have done previously and their
access to treatment will not be affected by these changes.

People subject to immigration control who apply for limited leave of more than 6 months will have access to most NHS care if they have paid the health
surcharge.

Income collected through the health surcharge will contribute towards NHS
costs.

Short term visitors and illegal migrants will, as now, be liable for NHS
treatment charges, subject to existing exceptions, and will not have the option of paying a surcharge in order to access the NHS without further charge."

As the conditions have not as yet been set, I wonder how it will apply to us who are going in next week? I do hope we get the opportunity to pay the levy even though we will have entered before the new conditions were set.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Seems so SOS! It is important to factor in the additional costs but if, in fact, a levy of $200 is charged, that is a reasonable amount I think. I cannot find the actual Act right now but it must be there but the breakdown is given as:

"The bill will benefit:
British citizens and non EEA migrants with permanent residence will continue to have the same access to NHS care as they have done previously and their
access to treatment will not be affected by these changes.

People subject to immigration control who apply for limited leave of more than 6 months will have access to most NHS care if they have paid the health
surcharge.

Income collected through the health surcharge will contribute towards NHS
costs.

Short term visitors and illegal migrants will, as now, be liable for NHS
treatment charges, subject to existing exceptions, and will not have the option of paying a surcharge in order to access the NHS without further charge."

As the conditions have not as yet been set, I wonder how it will apply to us who are going in next week? I do hope we get the opportunity to pay the levy even though we will have entered before the new conditions were set.
It seems the first 200 pounds will be payable with the fees for the initial leave to enter application, ie no 200 pounds, no visa, so I don't think it'll apply to you michali - not sure though.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 21st 2014 at 12:32 pm. Reason: too many 'terms', getting mixed up...
Old May 21st 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

And that worries me a bit! What I am saying I would prefer to pay the levy and be able to access NHS. We will soon know! I have our medical cards and will be visiting the GP practice soon after our arrival to see if they have a space for us as returning patients.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:42 pm
Concierge

And that worries me a bit! What I am saying I would prefer to pay the levy and be able to access NHS. We will soon know! I have our medical cards and will be visiting the GP practice soon after our arrival to see if they have a space for us as returning patients.
It can only go one of two ways michali - you're under the 'old' rules which mean your husband is immediately eligible for NHS doctor and hospital care, or they'll ask you to stump up the 200 pounds and he'll still be immediately eligible. I really don't think you have anything to worry about - either way he'll be fully covered.

You poor love, you're doing it a bit tough at the moment aren't you? Try to relax a bit, it's going to be absolutely fine and Mr michali will be able to access the NHS. You've done most of the hard stuff, now it's 'just' the packing and tying up loose ends
Old May 21st 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I agree formula, the Immigration Bill isn't crystal clear in this regard, it's seems that there's a provision to exclude certain treatments but no mention yet of what those treatments may be.
They ran some consultaions last year, so I guess they are a clue as to what might be planned in any secondary legislation.

After my previous post, I went hunting for the UK govt. info I'd previously read and couldn't find it. I then read the Bill and have changed my mind about people on spouse visas being exempt from the health levy, I don't believe they are.
I just went looking too I agree, it does read that under clause 33 (or was it 34?) that their defination of "ordinary resident" for free access to NHS, only covers residents in the UK with PR/ILR. I'm fairly sure that I read that some expensive medical treatments will not be free for immigrants too, but can't find where I read that now. If that is true, then it seems that the levy might not give totally free access to the NHS if expensive treatments are required when an immigrant arrives or until they get ILR. Plus of course, some treatments that were free on the NHS a few years ago, are now not.

I thought it was interesting that they used the "PR" term, as that is what those using the EU route get instead of ILR. This new bill ready for any changes with the EU????

Visitors (including those with a British passport) are now going to have to make sure they have full health insurance before they visit the UK as they will be billed in A&E too, unless it is something unexpected that is life threatening i.e. heart attack was the example the government gave..

Although the government do seem keen to reward those Brits who paid into the UK for x years too even if they left the UK, so I suppose we can expect something to happen there which makes it better for these Brits to get full free access to the NHS?

They won't need another bill for any future NHS billing, as they seem to allow for changes in this Immigration Bill.

Last edited by formula; May 21st 2014 at 12:57 pm.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

It seems the first 200 pounds will be payable with the fees for the initial leave to enter application, ie no 200 pounds, no visa, so I don't think it'll apply to you michali - not sure though.
I thought it was going to be charged with every visa until ILR is granted?
Isn't it £200 per year for the NHS levy?
Old May 21st 2014, 1:02 pm
Concierge

They ran some consultaions last year, so I guess they are a clue as to what might be planned in any secondary legislation.

I just went looking too I agree, it does read that under clause 33 (or was it 34?) that their defination of "ordinary resident" for free access to NHS, only covers residents in the UK with PR/ILR. I'm fairly sure that I read that some expensive medical treatments will not be free for immigrants too, but can't find where I read that now. If that is true, then it seems that the levy might not give totally free access to the NHS if expensive treatments are required when an immigrant arrives or until they get ILR. Plus of course, some treatments that were free on the NHS a few years ago, are now not.

I thought it was interesting that they used the "PR" term, as that is what those using the EU route get instead of ILR. This new bill ready for any changes with the EU????

Visitors (including those with a British passport) are now going to have to make sure they have full health insurance before they visit the UK as they will be billed in A&E too, unless it is something unexpected that is life threatening i.e. heart attack was the example the government gave..

Although the government do seem keen to reward those Brits who paid into the UK for x years too even if they left the UK, so I suppose we can expect something to happen there which makes it better for these Brits to get full free access to the NHS?

They won't need another bill for any future NHS billing, as they seem to allow for changes in this Immigration Bill.
Hahaaa, good pick-up re the use of 'PR' interesting times ahead
Old May 21st 2014, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought so too, formula. Of course, £200 was just a suggested figure. I guess we just have to wait and see.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:05 pm
Concierge

I thought it was going to be charged with every visa until ILR is granted?
Isn't it £200 per year for the NHS levy?
I think we have our wires crossed formula - I thought the NHS levy/health levy was the same thing, and it's a 200 pound per year charge? I've certainly been using the two terms interchangeably, if I'm wrong (which won't be the first time) I'll have to start my reading all over again
Old May 21st 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought so too, formula. Of course, £200 was just a suggested figure. I guess we just have to wait and see.
That's true. That's what they said in the factsheet that they linked to the new Immigration Bill.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think we have our wires crossed formula - I thought the NHS levy/health levy was the same thing, and it's a 200 pound per year charge? I've certainly been using the two terms interchangeably, if I'm wrong (which won't be the first time) I'll have to start my reading all over again
I think it is the same thing too. I thought I read it was per year, but as michali said, we don't know the exact figure, or if the levy will be per year, yet.

They haven't actually said that a spouse won't have free NHS, but then they haven't said that they can. Although I always thought the UK would do what countries like Oz, NZ and Canada do to protect their health services and make people pass a medical before they can have a visa.

It's interesting that the criminality laws mean that ILR can be delayed by years. The new criminality laws include Cautions and also some driving offences. i.e. using a mobile; not driving on the correct license; dangerous driving etc

Last edited by formula; May 21st 2014 at 1:28 pm.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:32 pm
Concierge

I think it is the same thing too. I thought I read it was per year, but as michali said, we don't know the exact figure, or if the levy will be per year, yet.

They haven't actually said that a spouse won't have free NHS, but then they haven't said that they can. Although I always thought the UK would do what countries like Oz, NZ and Canada do to protect their health services and make people pass a medical before they can have a visa.

It's interesting that the criminality laws mean that ILR can be delayed by years. The new criminality laws include Cautions and also some driving offences. i.e. using a mobile; not driving on the correct license; dangerous driving etc
I must admit that I cherry-picked a bit in my reading of the Bill so didn't see that - must have a proper read. I'll also check on the levy and when it's payable, I'm sure it was specifically set at 150 pounds per year for one group (students I think) and 200 pounds per year for the rest. But as I said, I've been wrong before and will no doubt be again - on several occasions!

ps not having a pound symbol on my keyboard is a right piss off
Old May 21st 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ps not having a pound symbol on my keyboard is a right piss off
google search said to use shift 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.