Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Old May 20th 2014, 2:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Actual experience of registering with a doctor in the UK

Originally Posted by Editha
All of these experiences are in line with the current advice being given by Age UK and CAB that you need to show that you are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, and there is no time qualification.

So the Daily Telegraph article was wrong.
No need for pages of dialogue, the answer is yes.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exp76
So what do people do for healthcare coverage from the time they get off the plane and get settled to the point of having a utility bill sent to their new address ??
As I have said and I can only speak from our experiences but we were fine immediately, we didn't need any treatment straight away but we were able to register as soon as we moved into our house.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
No need for pages of dialogue, the answer is yes.
I repeat that the word RETURN has been used in a confusing way in the article.

These people aren't selling up in Spain, they are 'returning' or better, visiting to avail themselves of freebie health service often under the guise of visiting family and friends because they have been allowed to, up to now.

I admit I too was confused by the word return first time around but have now seen the rules addressing this.

Therefore, they are not ordinarily resident in the UK, therefore they need to be in the UK for one year with a six month leeway to get the NHS, per the previous dialogue and guidance from CAB and the NHS specifically addressing the reason why.

There is a slant on this that should be considered and is touched on in the article and a similar one from the Daily Mail a couple of months ago.

If you have previously been resident in the UK for ten continuous years and now have a UK state pension but are non resident, you are allowed to gain full hospital treatment when there is an issue that arises when you are in the UK that needs attention, including something that arises in connection with a pre-existing condition. It appears that this could be withdrawn for those who reside outside of the EU.

I have a question on this and need to find out whether residing in Portugal, for example, for five + months of the year, plus just less than three months in the UK, counts as residing in the EU for NHS purposes.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 20th 2014 at 3:26 pm. Reason: There is a slant on this that should be considered and is touched on in the article.
Old May 20th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I am still not clear on our entitlement to NHS, especially hospital care. My husband, a non-EU person, did not live in the UK for ten years but he does receive a state pension, albeit very small, by way of having worked there for several years. I realize that with the passing of the Immigration Bill, things may well change to limit his access to the NHS and this is why, in many ways, I would be happy if they were to charge a levy on each person on a spouse visa. I think it would solve a lot of problems and would eliminate the uncertainty of entitlement.
Old May 20th 2014, 4:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
I am still not clear on our entitlement to NHS, especially hospital care. My husband, a non-EU person, did not live in the UK for ten years but he does receive a state pension, albeit very small, by way of having worked there for several years. I realize that with the passing of the Immigration Bill, things may well change to limit his access to the NHS and this is why, in many ways, I would be happy if they were to charge a levy on each person on a spouse visa. I think it would solve a lot of problems and would eliminate the uncertainty of entitlement.
Actually, I don't think it is that unclear. Access to care, whether GP or hospital, is available to all who are 'normally resident'. So, I don't think your husband will have a problem once you have moved to the UK.

The experiences that forum contributors have contributed to this discussion show that GPs and hospitals, quite properly, ask for proof of 'normal residence', but provided you have that, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old May 20th 2014, 4:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Michali, others will be able to advise you better than I, but as (I think?) your husband will be in the UK on a spouse visa, then as things stand now he will be entitled to full NHS cover, including hospital cover, from the day he arrives. I've been keeping an eye on the health levy and (again, for now) it seems that people on a spouse visa will be exempt from paying this. Although like you, I don't have a problem with paying a levy for me (non-EU spouse) to access the NHS.

More knowledgeable people, please correct this info if I'm wrong
Old May 20th 2014, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Within a couple of weeks of moving back, I visited my local medical practice and filled in a form to be registered as a patient. In my case, no ID was required. I was asked to make an appointment with the doctor for a very basic check up and to submit some of the usual samples.
Same for us, I just filled in some forms for the family, simple as that.
Old May 20th 2014, 5:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The levy will apply to anyone who is not British or does not have 'indefinite leave to remain.'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a spouse visa is 'indefinite leave to remain', so no levy should be charged.

That's a reply to Spouse of Scouse above.
Old May 20th 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

i think it depends a lot on the GP practice. We still have our medical cards so not even sure we will need to fill in forms. We will see. No problem either way and I am making sure I have some proof we intend to settle permanently, like a utility bill and invoice for shipping goods, etc.
Old May 20th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

No Editha, I am not sure on that. Don't forget, anyone on the first spouse visa does not have Indefinite Leave to Remain. That comes after 5 years.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Well, in that case, I think your OH will probably have to pay the levy.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think if that is the way they decide to go, then he will have to pay unless it will only be applied to those getting visas from the date the levy is brought in as law. We will have to see how they approach this, but, as I say, I think the levy is a good idea.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I think if that is the way they decide to go, then he will have to pay unless it will only be applied to those getting visas from the date the levy is brought in as law. We will have to see how they approach this, but, as I say, I think the levy is a good idea.
But I think the spouse visa income requirement is outrageous, and this will just add to the cost.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is rough, especially on young couples who are trying to get established in life. I really feel for everyone who has a hard time meeting the requirements so they can be together.
Old May 21st 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

i think it depends a lot on the GP practice. We still have our medical cards so not even sure we will need to fill in forms. We will see. No problem either way and I am making sure I have some proof we intend to settle permanently, like a utility bill and invoice for shipping goods, etc.
Hi

We had still kept ours (medical cards) we did not need them when we enrolled at our Medical Practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.