Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

6 weeks back and loving it...

Wikiposts

6 weeks back and loving it...

Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default 6 weeks back and loving it...

Hey thought I would give you all un update...

I posted on here around christmas time that I didnt think I could come home to the UK even though my OH was already living in the UK. I loved my life in Houston so much I just didnt want to come back to the UK...

Well I have been back 6 weeks and love it...We arrived in Heathrow to a beautiful sunny day, as we had to pass a few hours my OH took me to Windsor where we went to a pub right by the river and had a full english breakfast, yum!!

When we went to collect our dog, poor thing was so stressed she was pooping blood, however, after a day she was fine and no worse for her journey. We then spent a few days travelling from London to Scotland visiting friends and family on the way..It was great to be back with everyone, everyone was hugging us and telling us how lovely it was to have us back. My family and my OH family all cried when they saw me, hugged me so much thought they were going to break my bones...LOL..I really didnt know how much my eldery mother had missed me until I saw her, she kept hugging me not like my mom at all...

I had to turn my thoughts to moving back home as if we were moving here for the first time, I guess I was thinking of moving back home and picking up where we left off..Once i got my head around this, its been great...

I have sorted out horse riding lessons, opened up my own company doing bookkeeping, signed up for a course on life coaching. We have a lovely little house 995 sq ft, thought this might be too small but it isnt we have open fields behind us, I have a wonderful view of the hills from my front room and only 10 minute walk to the beach.

Things I have noticed since I came back, people are more polite when driving,service in the restaurants is not as good as Houston but its not bad either. I havent seen any gangs of kids hanging about the streets or the parks. Petrol is expensive it cost me 48 pounds to fill my Skoda Fabia, but you can use the bus, walk or use the train...Council tax is 1800 per year, this includes water rates back in Houston the taxes were over $5,000 a year plus water per month.
Bins are collect every 2 weeks, but our bin is so big its not a problem and they have lots of recycling places that are easy to get to, where we lived in Houston they didnt even do recycling.

What do I miss about Houston....Coffee Mate Ameretto liquid Creamer...LOL...thats it...

I wanted to thank all of you for your support and advice over the last 8 months, I dont know who started this forum but I am sure grateful to them...

Thanks everyone...
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks back and loving it...

Best wishes for your return home - sounds like it's all working out well
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

How lovely, so happy for you. We expect to be gone by November and I cant wait. Your post came 2 days after a very unexpected dose of cold feeet, I know where my heart lies but my head was playing tricks, your post helped and for this I thank you
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mctraill

I posted on here around christmas time that I didnt think I could come home to the UK even though my OH was already living in the UK. I loved my life in Houston so much I just didnt want to come back to the UK...

Well I have been back 6 weeks and love it...We arrived in Heathrow to a beautiful sunny day, as we had to pass a few hours my OH took me to Windsor where we went to a pub right by the river and had a full english breakfast, yum!!

When we went to collect our dog, poor thing was so stressed she was pooping blood, however, after a day she was fine and no worse for her journey. We then spent a few days travelling from London to Scotland visiting friends and family on the way..It was great to be back with everyone, everyone was hugging us and telling us how lovely it was to have us back. My family and my OH family all cried when they saw me, hugged me so much thought they were going to break my bones...LOL..I really didnt know how much my eldery mother had missed me until I saw her, she kept hugging me not like my mom at all...

I had to turn my thoughts to moving back home as if we were moving here for the first time, I guess I was thinking of moving back home and picking up where we left off..Once i got my head around this, its been great...

I have sorted out horse riding lessons, opened up my own company doing bookkeeping, signed up for a course on life coaching. We have a lovely little house 995 sq ft, thought this might be too small but it isnt we have open fields behind us, I have a wonderful view of the hills from my front room and only 10 minute walk to the beach.

Things I have noticed since I came back, people are more polite when driving,service in the restaurants is not as good as Houston but its not bad either. I havent seen any gangs of kids hanging about the streets or the parks. Petrol is expensive it cost me 48 pounds to fill my Skoda Fabia, but you can use the bus, walk or use the train...Council tax is 1800 per year, this includes water rates back in Houston the taxes were over $5,000 a year plus water per month.
Bins are collect every 2 weeks, but our bin is so big its not a problem and they have lots of recycling places that are easy to get to, where we lived in Houston they didnt even do recycling.

What do I miss about Houston....Coffee Mate Ameretto liquid Creamer...LOL...thats it...

I wanted to thank all of you for your support and advice over the last 8 months, I dont know who started this forum but I am sure grateful to them...

Thanks everyone...
Good to see that you're happy and sucessful on your return,it makes me feel better about my decision to go back.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by judes
How lovely, so happy for you. We expect to be gone by November and I cant wait. Your post came 2 days after a very unexpected dose of cold feeet, I know where my heart lies but my head was playing tricks, your post helped and for this I thank you
I am pleased I helped, I too had cold feet, I really didnt want to come back, I had been told all about the doom and gloom back home, well I tell you dont beleive it..its no worse here then it was back in Houston. There are jobs if you want them, you just have to be out there knocking on doors..

Good luck with your move...
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Good to see that you're happy and sucessful on your return,it makes me feel better about my decision to go back.
Good luck with your return hope it goes well...
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Mctrail, wonderful to read this I wish you much happiness!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone...
I loved reading your posting ..felt like it was a letter I had personally received with all your news and I don't even know you !

So positive, and really a good point that you made, when you said you approached the whole thing as though it was your first time there .

Usual question.. I presume you are in Scotland ..where abouts? as we too want to be in walking distance to a beach, with hills and good walking nearby.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Totally agree, amazing post, my heart sang for you !!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that things are working out well for you! I remember your initial agonizing especially over the things you feared you would lose from your life so it is great to hear that you have been able to include those things into your life in UK - sorry about the creamer though!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:53 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

That's so great to read and so heartening for ditherers like me!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:21 am
Just Joined

odee is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant read McTraill. Thanks for that...

The Mrs and I just decided we are moving "home" but we need to go where the work is so itll be London. Im from Glasgow and having been to London a grand total of once, I have to say..im nervous! The move is 10 months away yet but even so we are looking at it like it is what it is - its moving to a new city but at the same time its moving home to the UK and all that this entails.

To this end we are being as positive as possible about it, knowing that in that frame of mind, it is easier to make a success out of it.

Your post helped reaffirm this! So thanks, and good luck for the future.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Yes me too!!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone...
are you retired or employed?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nyz
That's so great to read and so heartening for ditherers like me!
Daunting or dithering? Is it the same thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.