4 Weeks Till Christmas

Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:21 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 Weeks Till Christmas

Originally Posted by MartynK
I think Christmas, and what you want/expect from it, is coloured by where you grew up as a child. I spent nearly 30 Christmases in SA and never fully adapted to it falling in mid summer, but both my kids - grown up now - were born there and can't imagine Christmas without braais, swimming and a trip to the coast.

TBH, this will be my first Christmas in the the UK since 1979 and I'm not sure about it. I think I'm going to miss sitting outside in shorts on a hot/warm evening, with a drink, waiting for the roast on the Weber. We're supposed to be going to my sister in law's and the idea of a lot of people crammed into the house, with the stuffy central heating going, and a grey weeping sky outside is a bit depressing.

How do you know the sky will be grey that day? Is your middle name Francis?

Sure wont be depressing at our christmas as we know how to have a good time. Add to that some of the kids are getting bikes for christmas i suspect a walk (ride) in the woods is on the cards after dinner.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:40 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Did you use to post on here under another name a few years ago
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

How do you know the sky will be grey that day?
I don't, obviously, but it seems to rain most of the time in SW Scotland. I'm fine with cold/hard/clear weather, but the short days, darkness and grey dampness get me down.

Is your middle name Francis?
Who is Francis?

Sure wont be depressing at our christmas as we know how to have a good time. Add to that some of the kids are getting bikes for christmas i suspect a walk (ride) in the woods is on the cards after dinner.
So do we, but my kids are in Africa and I've never been very keen on the "British" Christmas. Our best ones were spent in the bush or the Drakensberg.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't, obviously, but it seems to rain most of the time in SW Scotland. I'm fine with cold/hard/clear weather, but the short days, darkness and grey dampness get me down.

That was always my problem. I loved doing all the cooking for 15+ people and having everyone around but I must have fed them too well as everyone would then slump in front of the TV and either snore or argue over a present. It would just be me and maybe my sister who would want to get some fresh air and exercise. If Christmas was ever blue skies, crisp dry days I'd have loved it but the grey, damp, dark by 3 would seriously weigh heavily on my shoulders.

I am still happy to be having a break from cooking for all of them, and we try to get out and do something interesting, maybe it's easier for us in that the kids are teens and don't get the giddy excitement anymore anyway. What we feel like in years to come I've no idea but the idea of being in the UK over Christmas is unlikely to ever be top of our wish list. I'd rather fly somewhere in the middle and meet up with everyone there but that won't happen either, my family seems to be falling apart in the UK and have no interest in making an effort, least of all flying somewhere.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am so darned jealous! I loathe Christmas in Australia - it just never feels "right". Mind you it will probably be sleeting - we'll be in Ballarat but it isnt home and it isnt Christmas it's a sort of pastiche of Christmas. We have the decorations up at work already - bah humbug! In fact the only saving grace is that we think we will be spending it with the granddaughter who, at 2, is becoming quite in tune with "more presents"
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:48 am
I don't give a damn

Who is Francis?

So do we, but my kids are in Africa and I've never been very keen on the "British" Christmas. Our best ones were spent in the bush or the Drakensberg.

WHO is Francis???!
You cant be British. He is the camp weatherman who used to be on the BBC years ago, now on Sky News
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

WHO is Francis???!
You cant be British. He is the camp weatherman who used to be on the BBC years ago, now on Sky News
I've never heard of Francis..is he a Southern weatherman
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

WHO is Francis???!
Ah, then I wouldn't know. I lived overseas from 1974 until recently - apart from a short period in the late 70s - and we don't have television.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, then I wouldn't know. I lived overseas from 1974 until recently - apart from a short period in the late 70s - and we don't have television.
Don't worry, I was in the UK up to 2005 and had a TV and I don't know who he is either
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:21 pm
I don't give a damn

You lot obviously watched crap TV in the mornings or were lazy sods who dont get out of bed early enough

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/people/francis-wilson/
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

You lot obviously watched crap TV in the mornings or were lazy sods who dont get out of bed early enough

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/people/francis-wilson/
Oi i'm up at 6.30 every morning..even on these cold mornings. Gets the blood rushing through my veins, then i'm ready for anything
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Oi i'm up at 6.30 every morning..even on these cold mornings. Gets the blood rushing through my veins, then i'm ready for anything
Fool..

Although i was up at 5.30am this morning. Had to go pick up my daughter and drive into central London. First ice scrape of the year on my car. I think i'm weird coz i enjoyed it
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Fool..

Although i was up at 5.30am this morning. Had to go pick up my daughter and drive into central London. First ice scrape of the year on my car. I think i'm weird coz i enjoyed it
Nope not weird..my youngest was in a fit of excitement wanting to scrape the ice off. There was only a little bit.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hmm. 6.30 isn't very early. I normally go to bed by 9.30 and get up around 5.00 - 5.15. I like the early morning, and my body still seems to be on SA biorhythms.. It is getting cold now but, thankfully, we don't have central heating!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Hmm. 6.30 isn't very early. I normally go to bed by 9.30 and get up around 5.00 - 5.15. I like the early morning, and my body still seems to be on SA biorhythms.. It is getting cold now but, thankfully, we don't have central heating!
I think 6.30 is early(not very), esp when the rest of the house don't get up til 8. I go to bed quite late though..11.30 most nights, so don't get much sleep. Thankgod i have central heating. I missed it in OZ and believe me you need it in those shacks they call a house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.