4 Weeks Till Christmas

Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:24 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 Weeks Till Christmas

And for the first time in many years, for me, it all feels sooooooo right

I must state though, that there are quite a few differences nowadays, all for the better!

I have bought ALL the prezzies bar 2 and not had to set foot in a single crowded shop! Unlike Aus, most stores here have online shopping and delivery, which has made my life sooooo much easier. Saying that i will be doing one visit to Lakeside to get wrapping paper and other sundries and really just to enjoy the atmosphere. All the shops are fast putting up their decorations. I just love driving about looking at all the various displays in the dark.

Going to order the christmas meat at the weekend. We are having a huge family get together. 8 adults & 7 kids! Doing roast duck and a whole ham.

Because the stress of it all has been taken away due to online shopping, it leaves us plenty of time to enjoy the festive season and events running up to it.
I have been amazed at how many more fun based events there are here now, compared to when we left. No more is it just the panto, or carol singing, but there seems to be a much bigger emphasis on outdoor fun.
We are going to this event in London next week

http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/

I cant stress enough how lovely it is to be home at this time of year. I feel like a big kid. Having all the grandkids around me and getting involved in giving them a good time is priceless. I hated christmas in Aus. Such a NON event for us!! In fact, the whole time we were there i never even bothered putting up decorations!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: 4 Weeks Till Christmas

Agree completely. I am having a ball this Xmas time.
We could never grasp the Xmas theme in OZ, BBQ at the beach and all that crap. Just wasn't us.The kids suffered most and now they are all giddy again, it's great to see.
All my Xmas shopping is bought and wrapped up, hidden in the garage and ready to go.
No cooking for me though this year, we are eating out with the family
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:05 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Agree completely. I am having a ball this Xmas time.
We could never grasp the Xmas theme in OZ, BBQ at the beach and all that crap. Just wasn't us.The kids suffered most and now they are all giddy again, it's great to see.
All my Xmas shopping is bought and wrapped up, hidden in the garage and ready to go.
No cooking for me though this year, we are eating out with the family
Good for you going out. We will probably do that next year. We just wanted a big old fashioned home one like we used to do years ago as we have been away so long.

I remember our first christmas day in Aus. We arrived in November and Mr Flea had only just started his new job and of course, got elected to work all over the holiday. I spent the whole afternoon by myself eating prawns on the beach. I watched everybody else thinking it just wasnt christmas at all!!
I cant put my finger on it, but Australians just dont "do" christmas very much. It all seemed a bit of a non event
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And for the first time in many years, for me, it all feels sooooooo right

I must state though, that there are quite a few differences nowadays, all for the better!

I have bought ALL the prezzies bar 2 and not had to set foot in a single crowded shop!
WHAAART !!!!

You just wrecked me christmas. I am planning at least a week in the shops
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:06 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by jad n rich
WHAAART !!!!

You just wrecked me christmas. I am planning at least a week in the shops

No, no, no. Get your priorities right. Do the shopping in Aus online and have it sent to a rellies place, then you can spend the rest of your time enjoying everything else!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Well it'll be the first Xmas we have spent in Oz in the last 5 yrs as I swore I'd never spend another here. But it is offset by the fact that it will be our last here and we'll be in the UK first week of Feb and my family have decided to have another 'Xmas' when we arrive.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:34 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Well it'll be the first Xmas we have spent in Oz in the last 5 yrs as I swore I'd never spend another here. But it is offset by the fact that it will be our last here and we'll be in the UK first week of Feb and my family have decided to have another 'Xmas' when we arrive.
So what will you do christmas day in Sydney?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

So what will you do christmas day in Sydney?
Hopefully have an out of body experience and get myself over there.

Failing that, probably go riding early on then stay in out of the heat and watch UKTV. Going to be pretty dire in all ways this year as I've told the family not to send anything and as we'll only have to bring it back (unless it is edible ).
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Hi Flea,

Have been silently reading your posts for years. I moved from Benfleet to Adelaide just over 2 years ago. I really have not settled here, I moan about everything and just dont think my life is any better here. My sinuses are constantly blocked its so dry here and all that dust that covers eveything surely cant be good for us, along with the uranium mines in SA .My OH on the other hand loves it here and says he will be buried here!. Mmmm perhaps I could arrange that! Only Joking. We are very different, I love shopping, culture, feeling as if i'm in the real world and not on the moon etc, he is happy with the laid back feel, no shoes and would love to move into the hill on a farm! I notice that you moved to Rayleigh which is just up the road to Benfleet. Is it everything you had hoped it to be once you moved back? I know I want to so much but am putting it off, waiting for the right time......., I think I will be going back on my own though, as he wont even discuss it!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I think Christmas, and what you want/expect from it, is coloured by where you grew up as a child. I spent nearly 30 Christmases in SA and never fully adapted to it falling in mid summer, but both my kids - grown up now - were born there and can't imagine Christmas without braais, swimming and a trip to the coast.

TBH, this will be my first Christmas in the the UK since 1979 and I'm not sure about it. I think I'm going to miss sitting outside in shorts on a hot/warm evening, with a drink, waiting for the roast on the Weber. We're supposed to be going to my sister in law's and the idea of a lot of people crammed into the house, with the stuffy central heating going, and a grey weeping sky outside is a bit depressing.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartynK
I think Christmas, and what you want/expect from it, is coloured by where you grew up as a child. I spent nearly 30 Christmases in SA and never fully adapted to it falling in mid summer, but both my kids - grown up now - were born there and can't imagine Christmas without braais, swimming and a trip to the coast.

TBH, this will be my first Christmas in the the UK since 1979 and I'm not sure about it. I think I'm going to miss sitting outside in shorts on a hot/warm evening, with a drink, waiting for the roast on the Weber. We're supposed to be going to my sister in law's and the idea of a lot of people crammed into the house, with the stuffy central heating going, and a grey weeping sky outside is a bit depressing.
Don't be a party pooper Martyn..forget the weather, get some drinks down your neck and give the girls a cheap thrill
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I detest Christmas, always have since being a little girl. Glad it is a non-entity here in Australia. Excuse to spend, eat and drink to excess for a fortnight when Christmas is 1 day. I am even more of a miserable bitch at this time of year and am glad when New Years Day arrives so I can celebrate my eldests birthday with a smile. BAH HUMBUG
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:25 am
Irv
Just Joined

Irv is an unknown quantity at this point

Been reading this thread with interest, this will be our first Christmas in Oz and rather than sit at home, decided to go out for dinner and stay the night in a riverside hotel (very reasonable), so we can have a drink or ten! Can't get my head round seeing christmas tree in the high street in 30 plus degree weather!!!!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:17 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by lickylady
Hi Flea,

Have been silently reading your posts for years. I moved from Benfleet to Adelaide just over 2 years ago. I really have not settled here, I moan about everything and just dont think my life is any better here. My sinuses are constantly blocked its so dry here and all that dust that covers eveything surely cant be good for us, along with the uranium mines in SA .My OH on the other hand loves it here and says he will be buried here!. Mmmm perhaps I could arrange that! Only Joking. We are very different, I love shopping, culture, feeling as if i'm in the real world and not on the moon etc, he is happy with the laid back feel, no shoes and would love to move into the hill on a farm! I notice that you moved to Rayleigh which is just up the road to Benfleet. Is it everything you had hoped it to be once you moved back? I know I want to so much but am putting it off, waiting for the right time......., I think I will be going back on my own though, as he wont even discuss it!
Hi LL

How ironic. I lived in Adelaide for a couple of years. First in Glenelg and then Hallett Cove and now, here i am living not far from Benfleet, in fact i drive through it most days. The Adelaide hills are ok, but lets be honest, you soon get bored to death of gum tree after gum tree and the same old same old blah blah blah. Even the wineries in the district are boring after a couple of visits.

Moving back here was the best decision i have ever made! Not just because i am back with the family, but we feel so alive! We have already been to a couple of events at the O2 Arena. We are 40mins by train to central London with all that it offers, yet, as you will know out here, we are only a stones throw from lovely countryside so have the best of both worlds.

I am sorry your OH doesnt feel the same as you. It will be a hard decision to make i am sure. I am lucky that my OH loves it here just as much as me if not more!! Especially as he's a "foreigner"
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Adelaide for a couple of years. First in Glenelg and then Hallett Cove
Did you use to post on here under another name a few years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.