Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

Wikiposts

3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:18 am
Just Joined

trace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant future
Default Re: 3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

Ive just read this whole thread and would like to say that you are making me see a better UK.

I am currently living in Spain and would really like to move on (I cant get the language) and America appealed to me, after being told that it wasnt easy to get into (visas) i kind of feel trapped here and i didnt really want to come back. After reading everyones comments how happy they are it gives me something to think about.

My biggest concern is my children too, my eldest son is due to start secondary school in September and i feel that i need to make my decision before then. The weather is also an issue for me, im not sure how i would cope with cold wet dreary days. Also im not going to have the house i have here over there, im not convinced id be happy, but im not 100% happy here either.

I keep worrying that i will be one of those people that wont ever be happy now, i sometimes wish id never moved in the first place, then i wouldnt be in this mess. When i lived in the UK i never thought 'i wonder where i will be in 5-10 years' living here in Spain i think that all the time, I know it probably sounds trivial but i want to feel settled somewhere.

Thanks for giving me something to think about tho
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:38 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trace in spain
Ive just read this whole thread and would like to say that you are making me see a better UK.

I am currently living in Spain and would really like to move on (I cant get the language) and America appealed to me, after being told that it wasnt easy to get into (visas) i kind of feel trapped here and i didnt really want to come back. After reading everyones comments how happy they are it gives me something to think about.

My biggest concern is my children too, my eldest son is due to start secondary school in September and i feel that i need to make my decision before then. The weather is also an issue for me, im not sure how i would cope with cold wet dreary days. Also im not going to have the house i have here over there, im not convinced id be happy, but im not 100% happy here either.

I keep worrying that i will be one of those people that wont ever be happy now, i sometimes wish id never moved in the first place, then i wouldnt be in this mess. When i lived in the UK i never thought 'i wonder where i will be in 5-10 years' living here in Spain i think that all the time, I know it probably sounds trivial but i want to feel settled somewhere.

Eh!!!!!!!!! Think you`ll find houses are cheaper in the UK now than they are here in Spain (London excluded) Where do you live in Spain and where do you want to return to in the UK?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

trace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant future

Im half an hour away from Valencia in a village called Marines. Most of the time i love it here and i really dont want to go home and other times i just wish i were in an english speaking country.

I would like to go back to Norfolk somewhere, i like the idea of village life, like i have here which i think would suit the boys better too.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

R2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud of

. The weather is also an issue for me, im not sure how i would cope with cold wet dreary days. Also im not going to have the house i have here over there, im not convinced id be happy, but im not 100% happy here either.

I remember saying all these things to myself. Theres no easy decision (unless you are so unhappy and it's a no brainer )
If it helps.............my hub always used to be one of those people who felt a bit low whenever there were periods of grey skies in the UK. I always said he had SAD. I asked him the other day, how he was finding it when its grey.............he replied that he barely notices now.
We see things differently. OK, it rains, but thats why its so damn pretty everywhere. You can't have one without the other.

I think we totally underestimated that feeling of belonging. Try as we might, we never got that fully in Alberta. Its having an association with things. Realising a connection. History with a place and with people. Understanding the way things are and the way things are done.

Many a time, I would switch the TV or radio on, not having a clue who people were, or who they were talking about. Flipping thorugh magazines and having no connection or familiarity with anyone featured in them. It all adds to the feeling of not belonging.

The Mums at school would talk away about things from the past..........meaningless to me. I remember one day, we were all in a group and they got onto the topic of jingles form TV adverts from years gone by.........................?????? Yeah ?

We used to seek out the British programmes on TV. BBC Canada was bliss compared to my hub's No. 1 hate........John and Kate plus 8

I remember sitting there, watching "Escape to the Country" and blubbering , and having the biggest belly laugh watching The Vicar of Dibley, because we just connected instantly

That sense of belonging is a HUGE thing.

Last edited by R2D2 returns; Jan 30th 2009 at 7:26 am.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:35 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Im half an hour away from Valencia in a village called Marines. Most of the time i love it here and i really dont want to go home and other times i just wish i were in an english speaking country.

I would like to go back to Norfolk somewhere, i like the idea of village life, like i have here which i think would suit the boys better too.
I am from Valencia and hardly know anything about Marines, but I would imagine that you must be the only English person there!!! How did you end up there?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Its strange isnt it, you explain all these feelings to family and friends and no one truly understands unless youve been there.

Im lucky now, we got satelite TV, and one hell of a huge dish but hey its worth it. I love escape to the country even though half the time the budget is 2 to 3 times what i have, i also like to buy or not to buy. Its when i watch them that i think, oh it does look nice. But lets face it thats why im here, watching too many bloody programmes telling me how lovely it is in Spain. I do love it here dont get me wrong, but not having many friends is a big problem for me, not being able to say hi, lovely day today, in fear of them answering me and me not being able to understand them when they reply, and trying to help my children with their homework, that makes me feel really inadequate as a parent especially when they work in both spanish and valencian.

Jules Europe im near Lliria and believe it or not there are quite a few brits up here. Most are over 50 and having 2 younger children means i dont have much in common with them as their interests and hobbies are very different to me.

A place in the sun home or USA is on at the moment and theyre looking at houses in Norfolk, im off for a quick look, lets see if it will help me see things a little clearer
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:21 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Its strange isnt it, you explain all these feelings to family and friends and no one truly understands unless youve been there.

Im lucky now, we got satelite TV, and one hell of a huge dish but hey its worth it. I love escape to the country even though half the time the budget is 2 to 3 times what i have, i also like to buy or not to buy. Its when i watch them that i think, oh it does look nice. But lets face it thats why im here, watching too many bloody programmes telling me how lovely it is in Spain. I do love it here dont get me wrong, but not having many friends is a big problem for me, not being able to say hi, lovely day today, in fear of them answering me and me not being able to understand them when they reply, and trying to help my children with their homework, that makes me feel really inadequate as a parent especially when they work in both spanish and valencian.

Jules Europe im near Lliria and believe it or not there are quite a few brits up here. Most are over 50 and having 2 younger children means i dont have much in common with them as their interests and hobbies are very different to me.

A place in the sun home or USA is on at the moment and theyre looking at houses in Norfolk, im off for a quick look, lets see if it will help me see things a little clearer
To be honest with you unless you speak Spanish and can adapt you are better of moving elsewhere, these type of places are great for over 50`s who want to get away from it all and lead a more basic life. The only real benefit for you, is that your children will grow up speaking 3 languages fluently.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:24 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2 returns
I think as long as you have a big enough deposit you could buy if you wanted too.
We decided to rent, as we want to see how much the house prices drop.
Not even gone down 10% in our area yet frustratingly.
Many houses here are still on the market for the same price as they were 12 months ago, when we were looking at them from Canada, ......do they want to sell or what !!!
Finding it very frustrating
Have you tried an offer? I'm just curious.

Bev
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

We used to seek out the British programmes on TV. BBC Canada was bliss compared to my hub's No. 1 hate........John and Kate plus 8

I remember sitting there, watching "Escape to the Country" and blubbering , and having the biggest belly laugh watching The Vicar of Dibley, because we just connected instantly
Oh this is so poignant to me too i constantly watch bbc canada in the evenings and also am tearful when i see location location location and love the good ole comedies the beeb produces.

Its true also that my husband cannot stand john and kate plus 8!

cant wait to be back in blighty and will not bemoan paying a licence fee ever ever again to escape the constant adverts here in a show.........especially those ones that come on just as the programme has begun!!! aarghhhhh
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:32 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I noticed that I was mostly watching British TV, which was a hint. I have enjoyed some North American TV, but not Canadian. I mean, most of my Canadian friends think Corner Gas is hilarious, and I know I'm missing something there because it just seems silly to me. After 30 years. The only Canadian set and produced TV series I've enjoyed is Blood Ties, and that was financed by a US cable co, and got zero support in Canada, I assume because it's urban fantasy. Vampires, you know. But it is set in Toronto, with Canadian police and everything.

Anyway, I wanted to say I know exactly what you mean. My favorite North American program is House, and I'm sure that's because of Hugh Laurie. He might have an American accent, but all his tone and body language is British. I think that's what fascinates the Americans, though they don't quite realize it.

Bev
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by sans
lols .......are we real God i'm so glad you have come back on here
You make me feel better for being so elated to be back...........I was beginning to think it was just me

Its very real that feeling......its like being at peace for the first time. Everything was always here, we just couldn't find it.

Yes getting my own place has very much put the icing on the cake...I dont like renting, we was stuck in a rental in Canada for 7 mths and i hated it.
We then bought and within a mth was planning our return.

Our house backs on to farm fields and looks out towards the Lincolnshire wolds We have a heron that keeps knicking the fish out of the pond and black birds and blue tits/finches ....oooh and real robins
We also have some big white owls that we watch swooping down into the farm fields around dusk every night ...

Groups of dog walkers take their dogs out in the farmfields at the back of us and they all run wild, obviously no problem with the farmer.

People here are smiley/ chaty and will find any reason to stop and have a giggle .....Anyone that says the brits are miserable, must be living in the wrong place
New to this so be gentle with me!! I think some of you maybe familiar (ooer, not like that!!) with the missus 'Bsidebaby'. Sans, may I recommend the 'Scarecrow' as found on eBay: Listing number 110343980424 (No endorsement of the seller who I dont know, just pointing you in that direction for info purposes). Still have the two I bought to deter pussy cats from turning my lawn into a toilet - Worked a treat!!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
New to this so be gentle with me!! I think some of you maybe familiar (ooer, not like that!!) with the missus 'Bsidebaby'. Sans, may I recommend the 'Scarecrow' as found on eBay: Listing number 110343980424 (No endorsement of the seller who I dont know, just pointing you in that direction for info purposes). Still have the two I bought to deter pussy cats from turning my lawn into a toilet - Worked a treat!!!
Just want to sat Welcome to BE hope you enjoy hanging out with us we're all quite nice really
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

R2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm
Have you tried an offer? I'm just curious.

Bev
The problem we have at the moment, is where to pitch an offer. Many houses here are still marketed at peak prices and there is no way we are going to place an offer too high in a falling market.
We made one offer at 60k below (peak) asking price...........and because the mindset of sellers and buyers is different it was rejected.
We may up the offer by another 10k but not prepared to pay more than a house could be worth in 3/6 months time........rather sit tight in a rental than that.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Oh this is so poignant to me too i constantly watch bbc canada in the evenings and also am tearful when i see location location location and love the good ole comedies the beeb produces.

Its true also that my husband cannot stand john and kate plus 8!

cant wait to be back in blighty and will not bemoan paying a licence fee ever ever again to escape the constant adverts here in a show.........especially those ones that come on just as the programme has begun!!! aarghhhhh
I remember vividly the first occasion homesickness hit me like a ton of bricks.......we were at home in Alberta, it was November and snowy and grey, and on the TV they showed a clip of the Queen in London for the Remembrance service at the Cenotaph.
It was sunny, the trees looked like they still had plenty of leaves on them and the amount of colour was striking to me. The whole tradition and pomp and ceremony of it all was just lovely to see and I felt a real national pride.
I just burst into tears and said to my hubby, "I agree with you now, i want to go home "
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:49 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Oooh haha just realised what your on about The heron yea!!! I'll take a look Thanks
And welcome to TMBTTUK from me too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.