Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

R2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud of
Default 3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

We've been back in the UK for 6 months now, after our 3 yr adventure in Alberta, CANADA.
For those of you who don't know our story, its a pretty straight forward one really.............we decided to take the plunge and emigrate to Alberta in 2005, (not because we hated the UK, just to have an adventure) Everything went well with our BIG move, great job, lovely home, kids happy and settled, lots of new experiences and fun.
Throughout our adventure though, there was this niggling doubt about being there forever, and the pangs of missing all that was cosy and familiar began to get to us more and more, especially my husband actually.
So, after 3 yrs we decided to up sticks back again and return.
DID WE MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION...........??????

At first, talk about feeling alien ! We thought we'd be able to slot straight back into UK life.......not so.! Things didn't feel 'normal'. We felt like we didn't belong anymore, and people seemed very different to us now.
Everyone in our part of England sounded dead "northern" to us, not something we ever picked up on before!

Our 8 yr old, the one who had settled into Canadian life like a duck to water, was struggling here. He was unhappy at school. He looked like a little lost sheep, and it broke my heart to drop him off every morning knowing that he'd be crying when I picked him up again later.

Husband went back to his old company, and I was suddenly left alone, in a rental house I wasn't overly keen on, trying to find a job now that both my kids were at school. I spent my time job hunting and worrying over my kids. Missing my comfortable home in Canada and the new friends I'd made there!

But even with all those initial worries and unsettledness, we just knew we'd done the right thing. Over the coming weeks we grew to the realisation that YES, this was where we belonged.

Now, 6 months on we just LOVE being "home".
Its January and the grass is green. The bird noise is unreal to me and I wake up hearing every little "cheep, cheep" and it brings a smile to my face.

The other Sunday morning, it felt so good. Steve Wrights Sunday love songs was on the radio, proper bacon was sizzling in the pan, the sun was shining, birds were chirping and the church bells were ringing. Hubby and I just looked at each other with a BIG grin on our faces and we both knew we'd be just fine.

Now, we are just looking forward, with renewed excitement and appreciation of all the wonderful things our little green island has to offer. Our 8 yr old seems to have suddenly developed a deep contentment and we no longer worry about him. I juggle 2 jobs (not my initial intention, but works out well)
We see family and friends regularly, and have plenty of opportunity to go out as we suddenly have babysitters again !

Our Canadian adventure seems like a holiday memory now and neither of us miss it.
We have no regrets. So glad we did it, BUT, oh so glad to have come home again.
The end x

Last edited by R2D2 returns; Jan 23rd 2009 at 4:29 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 yrs in Canada, now 6 months back home

Great to read your update and hear how happy you are to be home, we feel the same way
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

R2D2!! You're back!! Well, not literally here....but back posting I've been 'dying' to know what happened to you since going back home and I was utterly chuffed to bits to read your post....the perfect happy ending I was hoping for although you did have me a bit worried in the middle bit when you & son were having your wobbles.

Please, please, please do not disappear again.....there are lots of people on here (people like me ) who find a calming "putting one's mind at ease" influence when reading posts like these. Glad you dropped by and may you continue to enjoy England's Green & Pleasant Land
All the best,
R.M.xx
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Heartwarming. Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

R2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud of

Ruby.....HI. Good to hear from you too. I haven't been on here for 6 months, so have no idea where you are up to, although I take it you are still in Red Deer and still unhappily Fill me in ! Are you still working on coming back ?

We ARE glad we made the jump back home. Especially now we hear house prices are beginning to drop in Sherwood Park.

We haven't bought over here yet. Gonna sit tight and wait to see how low the house prices go. Happy enough in our little rental now actually.
D xx
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:49 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I envy you a bit

my wife (the canadian) still talks about moving back home

just the thought of green grass and birds in january........
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Glad to see you're happy back in the UK.

Your Husband was luck to get his old job back.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

its nice to hear you are settled again , xxxxx
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:29 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I'm so happy that you have settled well. If you can appreciate the UK in cold January (when most Brits are really fed up of the weather!) then it shows just how happy you are. We are well overdue a good summer this year so hopefully things will get better and better! I'm glad your son has now settled. I think sometimes it takes moving abroad to a different country to really appreciate what we have here.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that things have finally worked out for you!

With cockatoos screeching outside my window I am dead envious of your cheep cheep and church bells!

Hope the happiness continues!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

D - I was thinking about you recently! In fact, I sent you a PM a couple of weeks ago - but to your old user name if you have been able to log on to it?

Good post. Glad to hear things have panned out well for you. Very best wishes to you all.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:39 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2 returns
We've been back in the UK for 6 months now, after our 3 yr adventure in Alberta, CANADA.
For those of you who don't know our story, its a pretty straight forward one really.............we decided to take the plunge and emigrate to Alberta in 2005, (not because we hated the UK, just to have an adventure) Everything went well with our BIG move, great job, lovely home, kids happy and settled, lots of new experiences and fun.
Throughout our adventure though, there was this niggling doubt about being there forever, and the pangs of missing all that was cosy and familiar began to get to us more and more, especially my husband actually.
So, after 3 yrs we decided to up sticks back again and return.
DID WE MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION...........??????

At first, talk about feeling alien ! We thought we'd be able to slot straight back into UK life.......not so.! Things didn't feel 'normal'. We felt like we didn't belong anymore, and people seemed very different to us now.
Everyone in our part of England sounded dead "northern" to us, not something we ever picked up on before!

Our 8 yr old, the one who had settled into Canadian life like a duck to water, was struggling here. He was unhappy at school. He looked like a little lost sheep, and it broke my heart to drop him off every morning knowing that he'd be crying when I picked him up again later.

Husband went back to his old company, and I was suddenly left alone, in a rental house I wasn't overly keen on, trying to find a job now that both my kids were at school. I spent my time job hunting and worrying over my kids. Missing my comfortable home in Canada and the new friends I'd made there!

But even with all those initial worries and unsettledness, we just knew we'd done the right thing. Over the coming weeks we grew to the realisation that YES, this was where we belonged.

Now, 6 months on we just LOVE being "home".
Its January and the grass is green. The bird noise is unreal to me and I wake up hearing every little "cheep, cheep" and it brings a smile to my face.

The other Sunday morning, it felt so good. Steve Wrights Sunday love songs was on the radio, proper bacon was sizzling in the pan, the sun was shining, birds were chirping and the church bells were ringing. Hubby and I just looked at each other with a BIG grin on our faces and we both knew we'd be just fine.

Now, we are just looking forward, with renewed excitement and appreciation of all the wonderful things our little green island has to offer. Our 8 yr old seems to have suddenly developed a deep contentment and we no longer worry about him. I juggle 2 jobs (not my initial intention, but works out well)
We see family and friends regularly, and have plenty of opportunity to go out as we suddenly have babysitters again !

Our Canadian adventure seems like a holiday memory now and neither of us miss it.
We have no regrets. So glad we did it, BUT, oh so glad to have come home again.
The end x
Hey really pleased you have posted and very relieved i was.... when i got to the last paragraph PHEW!!!

We came back around the same time as you did and apart from not liking being back in a rental its been wonderful to be home. We have now bought a place and recently moved in and yes we also have a big daft grin on our faces, probably to the point of being very annoying

....and dont we talk funny in the north I'd never realised till we came back and heard other people talking
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Hey really pleased you have posted and very relieved i was.... when i got to the last paragraph PHEW!!!

We came back around the same time as you did and apart from not liking being back in a rental its been wonderful to be home. We have now bought a place and recently moved in and yes we also have a big daft grin on our faces, probably to the point of being very annoying

....and dont we talk funny in the north I'd never realised till we came back and heard other people talking
Hey Sans....do we keep missing each other or what! Sent you a couple 'o' messages on F'buk and was wondering if you're not visiting those parts no more??? Let me know and I'll send you a PM via Expats.
Take care, catch up soon,
R.M. xx
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that you guys have settled back into life - and eating proper bacon I really do miss that

Good luck for the future - Gaynor
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burton bunch
So glad that you guys have settled back into life - and eating proper bacon I really do miss that

Good luck for the future - Gaynor
Ah, but it just doesn't have enough to pull us back just yet does it Gay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.