3 reasons why ?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 reasons why ?

Originally Posted by Zxenith
We could start a whole new thread on this, seriously guys think about it.
If your a young couple that just want to have some fun the U.K is the place to be, but as far as bringing up a family you just going to drown in costs while having no social life because there is no balance between family and work anymore. and as I have lived around the world, I can honestly say think seriously before coming back. The old England is long gone as reflected in the schools as the majority of children are foreigners, in other words there is a whole new culture. And as a foreigner myself I'm sad to see the English culture being buried. And NOT because the foreigners want it that way. Then there is the overcrowding, how many people can you fit onto one island?
These days you have options and can live anywhere in the world, we decided to stop complaining (As Joe public is not in control anyway) and move on.
Away from the crowds, endless taxes camera's and Yob's
But each to his own some like being in control, others like to be controlled.
And some just want to come home and thats fine too
You will never see England in the same light as most of us on here do because you are a foreigner your self

Last edited by britvic; Feb 27th 2007 at 12:18 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Zxenith is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes every country pays it's taxes, just some you don't have a meter running on everything you do, and a speed cam every 500 meters ect, ect, sure there is crime all over, just some countries the innocent have more rights than the perpetrator you would only know the difference if you have lived else-ware, no worries you love England good for you, have not experience anything I mentioned even better, best go out a bit.
Oop's I forgot the weather...
Yes my folks moved from England to another country, I moved back having been born off shore, they tried to warn me giving me the reasons they Immigrated, guess I had to see for myself, so eating humble pie.
Anyway no-one can make up your mind for you, all I'm saying is you have to decide whats more important for you, your career or having a life.
And if we pay tax's and have the same problems in every country, how doe's that country deal with them, do you have voice, do you like space, and how your children will grow up. The last is the most important to me, as England's children are the most unhappy in the western countries.
I don't want to come across as a England bash-er, I'm talking from experience mine and other members of my family and friends, I have also had some great times here, but overall I would not advise anyone to move here (having lived in other countries so I can compare), hope that helps
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry could not resist
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=238832007
And
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426356
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want me to find lots of bad news items about Canada for you?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Do you want me to find lots of bad news items about Canada for you?
Yes, by all means I'd appreciate it. (honest)
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:16 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Why don't you listen to the 70% of Brits that immigrate to OZ and love the place and would never consider returning to the UK , not just the 30% that don't like it. IF you or your husband have never been to OZ before you should go for a holiday and make your own minds up rather then just listening to other peoples opinions.
I would go tomorrow no problems, but I dont have a choice as Hubby has made his mind up that 'WE' arent going
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:48 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Who on earth would want to come back to the UK?
You got any idea how things have gone up?
And all the electronic tagging and tracking devices to meter and charge you even more. Never mind Pol state and nanny state more like slave state.
Honestly if you have children you should reconsider coming back to the UK.
Something is horribly wrong here. We doing a mass immigration to another country that's aunts, uncles, cousins everybody. we have lived in a few and I can certainly tell you, you would be making a mistake coming back to the Uk. You cant keep looking back or you will never be happy in your new country just go for it.

Yes every country pays it's taxes, just some you don't have a meter running on everything you do, and a speed cam every 500 meters ect, ect, sure there is crime all over, just some countries the innocent have more rights than the perpetrator you would only know the difference if you have lived else-ware, no worries you love England good for you, have not experience anything I mentioned even better, best go out a bit.
Oop's I forgot the weather...
Yes my folks moved from England to another country, I moved back having been born off shore, they tried to warn me giving me the reasons they Immigrated, guess I had to see for myself, so eating humble pie.
Anyway no-one can make up your mind for you, all I'm saying is you have to decide whats more important for you, your career or having a life.
And if we pay tax's and have the same problems in every country, how doe's that country deal with them, do you have voice, do you like space, and how your children will grow up. The last is the most important to me, as England's children are the most unhappy in the western countries.
I don't want to come across as a England bash-er, I'm talking from experience mine and other members of my family and friends, I have also had some great times here, but overall I would not advise anyone to move here (having lived in other countries so I can compare), hope that helps
So is it BE lazy cliche week and I missed the announcement?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:56 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: 3 reasons why ?

hope that helps

Yes it does, thanks very much. I moved back to the UK and have been really happy, but boy have I realised the error of my ways, what with the foreigners and cameras and taxes and foreigners and crime and foreigners and taxes and that.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:36 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

all I'm saying is you have to decide whats more important for you, your career or having a life.
Why do you say that you have to decide between a career and having a life. What kind of life are you looking for exactly?

Here in the UK there is everything that you could possibly want or need lifestyle wise. We made the mistake of listening to news reports and media hype about how there is nothing in the UK but that Australia would offer us a "better" lifestyle. It doesn't. It's nice, it's different. But certainly not better by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want your kids to grow up in a decent environment there are loads of nice places in the UK which are affordable. There are loads of sporting facilities around, many of which are part funded by local authorities, many groups for kids to join, country walks, museums, culture, beaches, parks etc. And no they are not all vandalised and inhabited by druggies and hoody gangs.

When our girls were younger, I became a volunteer leader at the local Rainbows and Brownie guides - both girls attended and we had loads of fun taking the groups on various outings, holidays, educational visits etc. We did fundraising events to cover most of the costs too. They also attended gymnastics, dance classes, swimming lessons, drama groups and went on loads of school trips and school holidays. We took them on picnics, went cycling in the country, visited stately homes, went to safari parks and zoos, walks by the river, funfairs and theme parks etc. We were not well off either but still managed to get out and enjoy ourselves. They had an absolutely lovely childhood, had loads of friends and are very happy teenagers now. All it takes is a bit of imagination and input from parents.

It seems to me that we are never happy with what we have. Heaven help us and our kids if we lived in one of the many countries around the world where life really is hard.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:59 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Yes it does, thanks very much. I moved back to the UK and have been really happy, but boy have I realised the error of my ways, what with the foreigners and cameras and taxes and foreigners and crime and foreigners and taxes and that.

Oh Eric you tease. I thought you were serious there for a nano second.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Why do you say that you have to decide between a career and having a life. What kind of life are you looking for exactly?

Here in the UK there is everything that you could possibly want or need lifestyle wise. We made the mistake of listening to news reports and media hype about how there is nothing in the UK but that Australia would offer us a "better" lifestyle. It doesn't. It's nice, it's different. But certainly not better by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want your kids to grow up in a decent environment there are loads of nice places in the UK which are affordable. There are loads of sporting facilities around, many of which are part funded by local authorities, many groups for kids to join, country walks, museums, culture, beaches, parks etc. And no they are not all vandalised and inhabited by druggies and hoody gangs.

When our girls were younger, I became a volunteer leader at the local Rainbows and Brownie guides - both girls attended and we had loads of fun taking the groups on various outings, holidays, educational visits etc. We did fundraising events to cover most of the costs too. They also attended gymnastics, dance classes, swimming lessons, drama groups and went on loads of school trips and school holidays. We took them on picnics, went cycling in the country, visited stately homes, went to safari parks and zoos, walks by the river, funfairs and theme parks etc. We were not well off either but still managed to get out and enjoy ourselves. They had an absolutely lovely childhood, had loads of friends and are very happy teenagers now. All it takes is a bit of imagination and input from parents.

It seems to me that we are never happy with what we have. Heaven help us and our kids if we lived in one of the many countries around the world where life really is hard.
I understand what you are saying, don't get me wrong, that's precisely what I'm on about, the UK used to be a great place,

I made up my mind was when my daughter who is eight asked me in tears why I had moved to this horrible country, and why Daddy works so much
that she never See's me.
And even though some of us are lucky enough to have it all, the majority don't.
My feelings about what the youth are experiencing in this country are clearly reflected by the lasted official report that Britain's children are the most unhappy in the western nations.
Its easy for some to say this is just a lot of boll-ox but the sticking one's head in the sand is not going to change reality.
Our own experience speaks for itself.
As far as work goes, the only work I could find (to earn a decent salary) was working 16 hours a day.
So I only saw my kids on weekends.
On my first application in Vancouver I landed a Job with double the salary working 9 to 5 flexy time.
On my evaluation visit, no crammed tube's and cheap fairs.
Youngsters gave old ladies and pregnant woman priority on seats.
Groups of youths walking down the street at night addressed you as sir.
I was mighty impressed with the culture.
However back to London, I will never forget the time an old lady collapsed on fenchurch street, clearly from a heart attack and everyone just stepped over her like she was road kill, I helped her but no-one except the paramedics would give me a hand. and the transport system the most expencive in the world, so as we have run out of standing space whats next the roof?
And besides by then we will have been priced off the rail and road networks.

I don't know it might be a culture thing but it does not work for me, that's why I'm leaving and won't encourage anyone to come back.
Like I have mentioned before I have lived in several country's but never seen
anything quite like this.
The only way you could understand is to live somewhere else so that you
can experience a different reality, I quite honestly think most britains
have not got a clue what a decent lifestyle is all about , I can't blame them as they know nothing else.
Though one things for sure as this thread is about coming back to Britain nothing I say will change anyone's mind, anyone on this thread is looking for reason's to came back, not reason's not to.
Its never easy being a foreigner, and home will always be home.
My advice is before you consider coming back spend a long holiday back in the UK, it might remind you why you left in the first place.
I know a lot of people who emigrated bailed out to soon, came back only to admit they had made a horrible mistake.
I don't think anyone should make up there mind until they are at least over the first three years in the new country. Unless the conditions are clearly terrible.
To those who are determined to come back I wish you the very best.
You will find you are a richer person for the experience and you where brave enough to give it a try.
Sometimes its a good thing to find out that the grass is not greener on the other side.
And you will have a whole new appreciation for Britain and be a whole lot happier for it.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

As far as work goes, the only work I could find (to earn a decent salary) was working 16 hours a day.
Why not retrain and then you could get a proper job?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why not retrain and then you could get a proper job?
Not one for blowing my trumpet but as you asked.
I guess after 13 years at Deers diamond group, and Anglo with several degrees and a history of excellence ... Canada figured I was worth it.

London... guess I did not have enough connections.
And besides not one for climbing into tail pipes.
Although you needed a plunger to get some blokes out.
Pathetic.
No mate I'm more qualified than my bosses combined but then again
I think that's was awas an issue.
(Must also admit, made some great Brit friends)

Anyhow I'm heading for Vancouver rated the best place in the world to live, and I'm being paid what I have studied so hard for, so can you blame me?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:15 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Not one for blowing my trumpet but as you asked.
I guess after 13 years at Deers diamond group, and Anglo with several degrees and a history of excellence ... Canada figured I was worth it.

London... guess I did not have enough connections.
And besides not one for climbing into tail pipes.
Although you needed a plunger to get some blokes out.
Pathetic.
No mate I'm more qualified than my bosses combined but then again
I think that's was awas an issue.
(Must also admit, made some great Brit friends)

Anyhow I'm heading for Vancouver rated the best place in the world to live, and I'm being paid what I have studied so hard for, so can you blame me?
So why aren't you on the Canada forum then?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:55 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I don't blame you at all because you obviously feel it is right for you and your family. But what is right for you doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of the expat community does it? Everyone's situation and needs are different.

We headed for Melbourne which was also rated the best place in the world to live. Promises for better lifestyle, better wages, more of a work/life balance etc. etc. While it is a lovely city, we found similar problems to the UK, high taxes, crime, drugs, corruption etc. Hubby had to work far longer hours for much less pay so I guess it all depends on your job doesn't it? You can't generalise and imply that everyone has to work a 16 hour day in the UK to make ends meet Both my husband and myself had great jobs in the UK before going to Oz - and far more time off than the ones we had in Oz.

Other issues that you discussed in your previous post do seem to refer specifically to London. The whole of the UK is not like London. There are lovely communities where people look out for each other, help each other and kids are very well behaved - funnily enough though these places are never in the news are they? It's always the rough council estates with hooligans torching someone's car that are shown on TV. So that becomes the image that we all have of the UK. As in other countries there are good and bad places everywhere. We holidayed in the US frequently where kids also call you sir and madam and yes it sounds nice. But that doesn't stop them having problems with kids and crime does it?

I do sincerely wish you well in your move - you have to try things to be able to judge for yourself if it's right or not and it's all part of life's experiences - for some people it works for others it makes them appreciate what they had. I for one am glad to be back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.