Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
I also love Ikea and luckily we have that store here in the States.

I did say "wonder" around Harrods you are right! It is not the kind of store I would shop in daily, it is the kind I'd buy a souvenir and I usually get a Harrods bag or some biscuits on the rare times I get to London. I have not been home for over five years and I get homesick for London and those wonderful stores and just the feel, energy and vibe of the place at it was my home for ten years and my ancestors home. I was not trying to sound posh or come over like a snob, so please forgive me if I gave that impression. I just love the old stores and old buildings in London that they do not have in the same league here; and to me Harrods being very British and one of the best would be the one I'd like to see again. I just think it is a London landmark and a beautiful store full of history that came from humble beginnings. Part of the reason, that I did not mention before that I want to visit and walk the great halls of Harrods is, that my great, great, great grandfather (who I recently found out about whilst researching the family tree) opened a coffee store around the area at the time Charles Harrods set up Harrods. Both my Grandfather and Charles Harrod moved to that area to escape the filth, poverty, slums of the east end and cash in on the new wealth of area. Both had just very small stores in the beginning, both were from the East End. My grandfather's coffee store did not come to much I guess but Harrods became very famous and he had spoken of it in his diary, all those years ago. My Grandfather wrote that "Harrods had put in some kind of moving staircase and they were all given brandy at the to to help their nerves after the wrecks they became after riding it!" LOL. I won't be getting back to England anytime soon... unfortunately... as I have two young children to care for and a husband in the military frequently away. Too bad I just so want to go to London to take pics and see where my Granddad worked and lived. I miss that city.
That's a brilliant little bit of history there. I love the bit about the "moving staircase"!
I went to University (part time) in London for 6 years and have to confess I became a bit jaded. But whenever I watch 'Notting Hill', I do feel a little wistful and would be happy to go back for a visit, especially my favorite places, eg. Primrose Hill, Lavender Hill, Hampstead, Richmond, Kew and Chiswick. I fancy an afternoon at Chimes Wine Bar in Pimlico (if it's still there) and a wander around St Pauls Cathedral and other places like Kensington and Chelsea.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
That's a brilliant little bit of history there. I love the bit about the "moving staircase"!
I went to University (part time) in London for 6 years and have to confess I became a bit jaded. But whenever I watch 'Notting Hill', I do feel a little wistful and would be happy to go back for a visit, especially my favorite places, eg. Primrose Hill, Lavender Hill, Hampstead, Richmond, Kew and Chiswick. I fancy an afternoon at Chimes Wine Bar in Pimlico (if it's still there) and a wander around St Pauls Cathedral and other places like Kensington and Chelsea.
All great places...I never went to Kew and I regret it now... some day I'll get back for a much needed visit and to see everything again ... I'd really appreciate it this time around unlike when I ived there and took it all for granted. The history is fascinating and I was on google earth trying to find pics of my Grandad's store, didn't find it though.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:53 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by svinnes
I know what you mean about hair...I have tried loads of hairdressers over here and i am so over the lot of them, they are total crap....the fashion well its not too bad down here in Brisbane but bloody expensive i still go daily on to topshop and have a browse and have found out they deliver to Oz....it costs 10 gbp, (god i have not even got a bloody pound sign on my ozzie comp)
I am gonna wait till i go back in Oct to get my hair properly done by a pro, saying that with the roots i have got i look a pro!!!!!
i also discovered topshop deliver to Oz yay!!!! just wish warehouse and oasis did too

Schuh also deliver too Oz they have a store on ebay aswell just got 90 pound boots for 30 pound there much better than the crap they sell here.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=brits1;6432237]When out doing my boring rather have my finger nails pulled food shop yesterday I wentnto the English Sweetie Shop and bought a packet of Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps....I can always spot "someone of the boat"

Can so relate to All of the above and more , already planned for when I go back in August , and on my intinerary are , Next , M&S H&M ,( I know how superficail of me to miss my favorate clothe stores , ) im not even taking any luggage so I can load up that end and an appointment with my old hairdresser and last but not least I cant wait to catch up with everyone ive so missed since being here
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

Ha! We used to go for a 'look' round Harrods but couldn't afford anything to get a carrier bag for!!

If you know the name of the street your 3xg grandad was on, you could maybe use google or ask.co.uk for photos of that street at the time you are searching for? Otherwise maybe a library in the area has online facilities, or even a local historian that maybe online. Good luck with the hunting though, I wouldn't mind doing somehting like that but its a daunting prospect - my grandad had 12 brothers and sisters cos his dad remarried and they must be the only 'old folk' I know who dont bother talking about the past - that far back anyway.
Jo

I also love Ikea and luckily we have that store here in the States.

I did say "wonder" around Harrods you are right! It is not the kind of store I would shop in daily, it is the kind I'd buy a souvenir and I usually get a Harrods bag or some biscuits on the rare times I get to London. I have not been home for over five years and I get homesick for London and those wonderful stores and just the feel, energy and vibe of the place at it was my home for ten years and my ancestors home. I was not trying to sound posh or come over like a snob, so please forgive me if I gave that impression. I just love the old stores and old buildings in London that they do not have in the same league here; and to me Harrods being very British and one of the best would be the one I'd like to see again. I just think it is a London landmark and a beautiful store full of history that came from humble beginnings. Part of the reason, that I did not mention before that I want to visit and walk the great halls of Harrods is, that my great, great, great grandfather (who I recently found out about whilst researching the family tree) opened a coffee store around the area at the time Charles Harrods set up Harrods. Both my Grandfather and Charles Harrod moved to that area to escape the filth, poverty, slums of the east end and cash in on the new wealth of area. Both had just very small stores in the beginning, both were from the East End. My grandfather's coffee store did not come to much I guess but Harrods became very famous and he had spoken of it in his diary, all those years ago. My Grandfather wrote that "Harrods had put in some kind of moving staircase and they were all given brandy at the to to help their nerves after the wrecks they became after riding it!" LOL. I won't be getting back to England anytime soon... unfortunately... as I have two young children to care for and a husband in the military frequently away. Too bad I just so want to go to London to take pics and see where my Granddad worked and lived. I miss that city.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
I've just had a really scary thought What if we have all got so use to eating Or'rible food and we carn't eat the food back home anymore
Not a chance....!!!....not liking Indian Curry....Cheese and Onion Crips.....Chinese Take a way.....oh bring it on...I am already thinking of buying elasticated trousers!!!!..(no chance)...but I do know what you mean!!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svinnes
I know what you mean about hair...I have tried loads of hairdressers over here and i am so over the lot of them, they are total crap....the fashion well its not too bad down here in Brisbane but bloody expensive i still go daily on to topshop and have a browse and have found out they deliver to Oz....it costs 10 gbp, (god i have not even got a bloody pound sign on my ozzie comp)
I am gonna wait till i go back in Oct to get my hair properly done by a pro, saying that with the roots i have got i look a pro!!!!!
Well on Friday I just went into a Salon Express and this Chinese guy cut my hair (the first ime I have had a dry cut!!..it cost $17.00 best cut I have had while here in Perth then I went home and bought a colour from Coles and did it myself...first time for that as well...and my friends at football on Saturday said it was really nice and who was my new hairdresser..all that for $30.00!! it usually costs me $200 - 230!!!!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:30 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Well on Friday I just went into a Salon Express and this Chinese guy cut my hair (the first ime I have had a dry cut!!..it cost $17.00 best cut I have had while here in Perth then I went home and bought a colour from Coles and did it myself...first time for that as well...and my friends at football on Saturday said it was really nice and who was my new hairdresser..all that for $30.00!! it usually costs me $200 - 230!!!!!!!
A little bird whispered in my ear about a new scottish hairdresser thats resently opened up shop here and its the best cut i've had in over a year, it only cost me $44 which is'nt bad really for here. I also went and bought myself a new color from walmart for $8..............I make that roughly £26
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kizbut1
Ha! We used to go for a 'look' round Harrods but couldn't afford anything to get a carrier bag for!!

If you know the name of the street your 3xg grandad was on, you could maybe use google or ask.co.uk for photos of that street at the time you are searching for? Otherwise maybe a library in the area has online facilities, or even a local historian that maybe online. Good luck with the hunting though, I wouldn't mind doing somehting like that but its a daunting prospect - my grandad had 12 brothers and sisters cos his dad remarried and they must be the only 'old folk' I know who dont bother talking about the past - that far back anyway.
Jo
Hi kizbut1, I did google both the streets he was on but could not find pictures of the buildings however, I'm pretty sure they are still there... the main one I am looking for is 226 Picadilly where he ran a coffee shop kinda of club I think as they were back then. The other place is on Longacre which was the Hotel. I'll check out the local library for each area as that is a great idea that I never thought of so, thank you for the hint and I'll write to them to see what they have. I have a suscription to ancestry so, I go over all the census data, you'll be suprised what you find and the more family you have the more chance of finding information so, don't be daunted or discouraged if you want to trace your family history If you need me to ever check anything just shoot me a pm.

Last edited by JULIEROSE; Jun 8th 2008 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Hi kizbut1, I did google both the streets he was on but could not find pictures of the buildings however, I'm pretty sure they are still there... the main one I am looking for is 226 Picadilly where he ran a coffee shop kinda of club I think as they were back then. The other place is on Longacre which was the Hotel. I'll check out the local library for each area as that is a great idea that I never thought of so, thank you for the hint and I'll write to them to see what they have. I have a suscription to ancestry so, I go over all the census data, you'll be suprised what you find and the more family you have the more chance of finding information so, don't be daunted or discouraged if you want to trace your family history If you need me to ever check anything just shoot me a pm.
Am I right in thinking that the BBC have photos archives as do all the newspapers, can you not contact to see if there is any chance of tracking them down?? Could also try local history and architectural groups/clubs....?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

Julierose, I dunno how far back you need to go, but in 1913/1914 226 Piccadilly was this.....

http://londonfilm.bbk.ac.uk/view/business/?id=910
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you. My grandad several times removed was there in the 1870s. It is interesting to read what came after and to try and find a pic. The buildings have as much history as the families that lived in them!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Thank you. My grandad several times removed was there in the 1870s. It is interesting to read what came after and to try and find a pic. The buildings have as much history as the families that lived in them!
I so agree with that comment, I miss the old buildings and the history the UK can offer, just another reason for going home.. Goodluck
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

I'm so lucky that living in Spain I can get back to the UK as often as I like, with plenty of budget airlines operating regularly, so when I miss the greenery of Hertfordshire, and M&S or Sainsbury, or Matalan et al, I'm close enough to get my fix. Good luck with your search!!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LizaJane
I so agree with that comment, I miss the old buildings and the history the UK can offer, just another reason for going home.. Goodluck
Yes the buildings almost take on a soul of their own after all this time! I loved Spain when we went there many moons ago. I wish you luck on your journey back "home".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.