Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

Originally Posted by truditjh
Just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works, what about the things you will miss from where you are now, wonder in 5 years time will you all be thinking the same thing ???? This is currently where I'm at.....
What do you miss. Trudi?

It is hard to tell if we haven't spent much time away from where we are, but apart from some friends here, I doubt I'll miss much.

We've moved to the west coast, which is the most English part of Canada, in weather and in some other things. I think that indicates where our hearts are, plus we haven't missed anything but friends from the other places we've lived in Canada.

I'm sure there will be some things about Canada I'll miss, but I'm not seeing them now. And anyway, I can come back if I want.

Perhaps hummingbirds.

Bev
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotel44
Ahh Emma, why do you tease me like this ... i have 6 months to wait before i can get my mits on the fashionable-yet-bargainous contents of that wonderful place.

Oh well, until then i can dream!
LOL!!!
Yeah, but Primark was pretty good for a bargain. Better prices than clothes here. And there, I'm guessing?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kizbut1
Ahhh...maybe not quite so posh...lady did say she would 'have a LOOK round Harrods' My sis bought my daughter a bear from Harrods when't lil un was 3, she'd lost her old ratty bear. Anyhoo, said Harrods bear was offered, daughter turned it down in favour of a little bear that cost me a quid from Ikea

Jo
Awwwwww!

Oh yeah, few more things I will do... immerse myself in all things... BLUEWATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shopping spree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:45 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
What do you miss. Trudi?

It is hard to tell if we haven't spent much time away from where we are, but apart from some friends here, I doubt I'll miss much.

We've moved to the west coast, which is the most English part of Canada, in weather and in some other things. I think that indicates where our hearts are, plus we haven't missed anything but friends from the other places we've lived in Canada.

I'm sure there will be some things about Canada I'll miss, but I'm not seeing them now. And anyway, I can come back if I want.

Perhaps hummingbirds.

Bev
Hummingbirds too quick for me dammed if i can get any piccies ............by the time i've picked the camera up they all gone
I will miss my view of the ocean and mountains, and altho i carn't think of anything else right now............cos i'm brain dead i'm sure their maybe one other thing that i may think of ....when i'm less zombiefied that is.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:25 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
I will miss my view of the ocean and mountains.
We can have hills, at least, in England, and sea, and even both in some places. Where are you headed?

Bev
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:31 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

We can have hills, at least, in England, and sea, and even both in some places. Where are you headed?

Bev
Nrth linc's close to the east coast, pretty but not quite got it
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

What do you miss. Trudi?

Perhaps hummingbirds.

Bev
I think the things I miss most about NZ are the peace and quiet, I understand there is a trade off somewhere, but the space and serenity is something else, I think that alot of people in a smaller space causes more problems. Also the lack of class systems, people in the UK (imho) seem to judge others by the holidays they take, the age/type of car they drive, even clothes they wear - perhaps thats more Norfolk than anything else But that was a good thing - for us anyway, not to feel like you "should" have the latest plasma or new car. If I want something I want it because of purely thhat, not because either the media or peers think I should have it, if you get my ramblings. I cant say that a return to NZ would be right, but having been in the situ of cant wait to get back to Tesco/fish and chips etc., its amazing how quickly that becomes a chore. I now get a nice man in a van to deliver my Tesco shopping to my home..... hehehe
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Tujeste is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works, what about the things you will miss from where you are now, wonder in 5 years time will you all be thinking the same thing ???? This is currently where I'm at.....
We were in Santa Cruz (Northern) California for ten years before coming back here just over 5 years ago........

I do miss being right by the sea (we're living now in between Bristol and Bath) - being able to go out fishing in Monterey Bay or heading down to the harbor to pick up fresh tuna for BBQ / smoking

I miss my 1969 VW beetle - in which I did an eighty mile commute daily

I miss a funny little chain of bagel shops called the Bagelry - they had some great fillings. We do now get some passable bagels here though - though I cant get my curried tofu filling just how the Bagelry does theirs

Good sushi - although the wife doesnt miss that one little bit

Almost immediate access to some wonderful State Parks - and the wife does miss these as shes a runner. Nothing quite like the slight fear that there might be a mountain lion round the next corner to keep you alert halfway through a marathon

Bonny Doon Winery Big House Red

Burritos
Funnily enough we couldnt get our son to eat any mexican food whilst we were out in Ca, now his favourite food is tacos!

Anders
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What will I miss from Australia? Ummmmmm

Ummmm

Thinks

Ah! A half decent latte and wide parking spaces.

I knew there had to be something I would miss.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
What will I miss from Australia? Ummmmmm

Ummmm

Thinks

Ah! A half decent latte and wide parking spaces.

I knew there had to be something I would miss.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all
Smile Re: The 1st thing u will do when you get back??

I think the things I miss most about NZ are the peace and quiet, I understand there is a trade off somewhere, but the space and serenity is something else, I think that alot of people in a smaller space causes more problems. Also the lack of class systems, people in the UK (imho) seem to judge others by the holidays they take, the age/type of car they drive, even clothes they wear - perhaps thats more Norfolk than anything else But that was a good thing - for us anyway, not to feel like you "should" have the latest plasma or new car. If I want something I want it because of purely thhat, not because either the media or peers think I should have it, if you get my ramblings. I cant say that a return to NZ would be right, but having been in the situ of cant wait to get back to Tesco/fish and chips etc., its amazing how quickly that becomes a chore. I now get a nice man in a van to deliver my Tesco shopping to my home..... hehehe
Can't say I agree, almost opposite ...the peace and quiet feels like I'm in the land that time forgot, dreadfully bland and boring. Something I will appreciate more once I have left but I don't thing it is something that I will miss and yearn for.

'Keeping up with the Jones'....it still exists here just no so in you face and obvious. Rather two faced about it here to a degree.

As for the class system well...it may not be working class, middle class, upper class etc etc..but it is another guise and there is very much a class system in NZ , kiwis just don't like to admit it because it would suggest they were a little too like the British. There are such things as 'kiwi snobs' and there are big social divides.

I actually miss the pressure that is on people to do better for themselves, improve their circumstances, get better educations and have higher expectations. Its about setting goals for yourself and challenges that make you a better person.

The materialistic pressures are often pressures we put on ourselves, somehow believing we are more acceptable if we live in the 'better' areas, earn more, have more, can buy more etc. We assume that we know how everyone perceives us and judges us on those values alone. We will never be friends with those that do so why worry about them?

I was bought up in London, the extremes of most things, wealth and poverty, happiness and sadness, loneliness and belonging, all or nothing type of place, so am fully aware about pressure from others and the society we live in, however I do think it is also about self worth, values, strength of character and finding where you feel you belong, for each of us it different. We perceive things differently, we react differently, it effects us differently, therefore we have different opinions...each to their own.

So no I wouldn't miss the double standards and shallowness but I will miss the friends we have made and maybe the ease of it all.

Both countries have good and bad but I think NZ is beautiful and dull and the UK is vibrant and varied....
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:25 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by LizaJane
Can't say I agree, almost opposite ...the peace and quiet feels like I'm in the land that time forgot, dreadfully bland and boring. Something I will appreciate more once I have left but I don't thing it is something that I will miss and yearn for.

'Keeping up with the Jones'....it still exists here just no so in you face and obvious. Rather two faced about it here to a degree.

As for the class system well...it may not be working class, middle class, upper class etc etc..but it is another guise and there is very much a class system in NZ , kiwis just don't like to admit it because it would suggest they were a little too like the British. There are such things as 'kiwi snobs' and there are big social divides.

I actually miss the pressure that is on people to do better for themselves, improve their circumstances, get better educations and have higher expectations. Its about setting goals for yourself and challenges that make you a better person.

The materialistic pressures are often pressures we put on ourselves, somehow believing we are more acceptable if we live in the 'better' areas, earn more, have more, can buy more etc. We assume that we know how everyone perceives us and judges us on those values alone. We will never be friends with those that do so why worry about them?

I was bought up in London, the extremes of most things, wealth and poverty, happiness and sadness, loneliness and belonging, all or nothing type of place, so am fully aware about pressure from others and the society we live in, however I do think it is also about self worth, values, strength of character and finding where you feel you belong, for each of us it different. We perceive things differently, we react differently, it effects us differently, therefore we have different opinions...each to their own.

So no I wouldn't miss the double standards and shallowness but I will miss the friends we have made and maybe the ease of it all.

Both countries have good and bad but I think NZ is beautiful and dull and the UK is vibrant and varied....
Oh hear hear That was dam good
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:18 am
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by LizaJane
Yes. I lived in a suburb once here in Canada. It had everything -- and nothing I wanted.

But one of my closest friends lives nearby there, is still there, and would hate the sort of closer-to-things I need.

Bev
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmc
Start living again...
Simply said but VERY VERY TRUE.........
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
First thing I'll do is burn my Australian passport in a Guy Fawkes-esque funeral pyre.

I'd have my memories chemically erased, but the trouble is I wouldn't remember how truly sh1te the country is then
Oh love it!!!! might join you the way I am feeling today.....will we ever get off this continent????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.